Author Topic: Hand auger recommendations please  (Read 2754 times)

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hand auger recommendations please
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:41 PM »
What kind of hand augers are people using that they would recommend? I have an old six inch mora that is just an absolute dog that I can’t put up with anymore. Need to upgrade, and I’m thinking maybe a 4 or 5 inch hand auger, possibly strike master laser or Eskimo barracuda. Anything else I should look at, or does anyone have experience with either of those hand augers? Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand auger recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Nero Mini gets my vote.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:47 PM »
The laser has worked for me, havnt used it as a hand auger i na long time though, have the attachment to use with a cordless drill

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:49 PM »
I just got a mini nero and it cuts so fast by hand plus blades are super cheap.strikemaster lazer would be my other choice.i still like moras tho too.they cut great with sharp blades.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:50 PM »
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Times 2 on the Mini Nero. Excellent value. Maybe not as silky as a Nils but a lot less temperamental. And convertible to drill power if you choose that option. Check out the YouTube videos though some are in Russian you can at least see how they cut.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:04 PM »
What kind of hand augers are people using that they would recommend? I have an old six inch mora that is just an absolute dog that I can’t put up with anymore. Need to upgrade, and I’m thinking maybe a 4 or 5 inch hand auger, possibly strike master laser or Eskimo barracuda. Anything else I should look at, or does anyone have experience with either of those hand augers? Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe the blades on your Mora just need to be sharpened or replaced, or has it always been a dog?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:06 PM »
1) We just put a new set of blades on a 30-year-old Mora and it is serving my son well.  The questions from defish are good.

2) Lazer hand augers ROCK.  I was very impressed with I tried one.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Maybe the blades on your Mora just need to be sharpened or replaced, or has it always been a dog?

It’s always been rough, but it was free so I can’t complain too much. It’s also probably from the 80s or 90s. I did get the strike master sharpener this season and tried sharpening the blades, but it didn’t help; too far gone. They need replaced, and at that price point for new blades I figure I might as well upgrade. I borrowed a kind stranger’s hand auger on the ice, an Eskimo I believe, and the difference was huge. So I’m thinking about upgrading over replacing blades.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Thanks all who mentioned mini nero; that wasn’t on my radar before. I’ll mull that over.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I, like most others, will upvote the Mini Nero.

I just got on this season. The thing is amazing. Was telling my fishing partner about how much I love it and he talked about how he will stick to his electric. Handed him my Mini Nero and told him to check the ice. "Oh sure, make me cut through the ice with the hand auger."  He cuts through the ice and says "Not that bad but the offset handles might take a bit to get used to." I stick down my ruler to measure the ice, and say 16 inches. His response, "That cut through 16 inches of ice that easy!?"

I absolutely love the thing as a hand auger and they are not as expensive as the Nils.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Yup, Nero Mini is an awesome hand auger, and even better with a drill attached!  Just got a 6" this year and it just flies through the ice.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Lazer
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Lazer 5”

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:06 PM »

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Love my Nils, 5 incher ;effortless drilling.

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Normally a larger hole would be more effort to drill, but I've been using my 7" Nero over my 5" Mora even as the ice has gotten thicker here. I've yet to use my power auger this season.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Was going to say stick with mora and get the laser conversion but by the time done you should just buy a laser auger..laser conversion link below requires modifiing the adaptors at link and buying laser blades.. buy that time you can just pay for a new laser 6 inch..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT-6-INCH/131116710577?hash=item1e872a3ab1:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

Unless it's a mora boren auger with off set handle like a nils I would just get the laser.. also  iam trying to manufacture a off set handle privately to sell on ebay sooner or later so will see what I can come up with??

Offline toadstool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tony- Sherburne, NY
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Lazer 5", cuts so darn easy have only lost 1 fish (giant crappie) due to hole size issues. Have an 8" nills that I never take out since I got the lazer 6 years ago - just can't keep the nills in good cutting condition so I couldn't recommend that at all.

Same blades on the lazer that came with it 6 years ago, they don't cut as nice as they used too but not bad enough to make me shell out for new ones!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:17 PM »
5 or 6 Mora out of Big Lake MN that takes curved blades. Frabill 5 that takes curved blades. Get a used hand auger that takes curved blades,Lazer. Any of these will rocket through the ice.

Offline nkocak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Nero mini with the drill adapter.

Offline jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I started out with a 5 inch mora, nice auger.
Then upgraded to a 5 inch Laser, nice improvement.
I now use a 6 inch Nils, WOW what a machine. Cuts like butter. @) @) @)

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I don't think they are made anymore, but the Lazer lite synthetics with the Mora nova head on them is a real reliable setup with a drill.  I have two 160mm and a 120mm.  The 160 can take a powerpoint if desired.

Offline BURNSEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Nils

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Mora finbore iii pro series. I bought this 3 years ago and it still cuts through 12 inches of ice like it was butter. Highly recommended

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Nils. 4 years in, prob 500 holes, still cut like new.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:46 AM »
Nero mini 5"

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:25 AM »
Lazer 8"
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:43 AM »
im still using my old 6"jiffy. I use it with a drill now though.  does all I need an auger to do.

if I was going to buy a new hand auger to be used as such it would be a lazer 6".  no more hand cranking 8"ers for me anymore. or any auger for that matter. haha 

bottom line make an adapter for a drill and use the jiffy you already have.

note: if your jiffy doesn't cut very aggressively shim the blades with beer can shims.  I did mine 30yrs ago and so have several others I have met over the years.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.