Author Topic: Info needed on fishing Lake Storey in Galesburg  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Info needed on fishing Lake Storey in Galesburg
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:40 AM »
I've never fished lake storey. Due to having lung cancer and having a throat implant and gaining 80 damn lbs. I can only walk short distances. Plus, pulling my little frabill recon is a pain. I was wondering if any of you know of parking areas that are regularly plowed, if they even do that, that very or reasonably close to an easy access point on the lake.. I went to Carl Sandburg College, and am a big hard and soft water nut, but surprisingly never fished the lake, so any help would be great.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Info needed on fishing Lake Storey in Galesburg
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2019, 02:43 PM »
they plow the lot right by the dam on the west end of the lake.  and then its about a 100 yd walk out to the big pillar where all the fish seem to roam.  and you will catch fish until your hearts content.  most of thema re 7-8" but there are a few decent ones sprinkled in there. 

we went once last year and in about 3-4 hours caught and released well over 100 a person. 

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2019, 11:35 AM »
WOW! sounds lie fun. thanks for all the info. I used to live in a small town by there and guys would come in the gas station and say they'd been biting all night. Ice Shanty is such a great site, when I first joined here, I knew next to nothing about ice fishing. I'd been with dad and his old buddies, sitting on the buckets in work bibs on the 50 degree days and hated it. But I heard of Dave Genz, bought a "client-trap" from one of the ice team pros and I was HOOKED! Had ten years chasing my passion, looks like now I may have to give it up, but I might hit the hard water again. Once again, thanks for taking time to respond.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Just to add to what HND said, go later in the evening.  You can catch fish there pretty much anytime, but the bite is super hot once the sun goes down.  You'll be fishing in about 30' of water, and if you have a flasher you'll see fish stacked from 20'-30' all night.  It's non stop action.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2019, 01:39 PM »
thanks harpenter, I thought there was some deeper water in that "pond". ( most the strip pits are 10 ft. or less, almost don't need my lowrance). Don't know if I'll get out, but some of my favorite trips were at night, full moon, warm in the fishtrap or frabill! Be careful out there, a 70 year man just drown somewhere near here fishing the ice, maybe it was closer to chicago, I don't see how we would even have 2 inches even weeks ago. Guys need to buy the new float suits, I got a strikemaster, they're great.

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Haven't driven by there in a while.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Haven't driven by there in a while.
Still the same but seems like it filled back up after they drained it down earlier

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Anyone have any ice reports for Story?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.