New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339019 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #1140 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Glad to see my grand kids had a good time out there today, good job Logan & Jill. :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #1141 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Nice
Master Laker taker.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1142 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Fishmon

« Reply #1143 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Love the expression on the kids faces :)  They will not forget that.

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1144 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:04 PM »
The look on their faces say more than words, congrats mealworm. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1145 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:26 PM »
2 wheelers went through the pressure crack off hearthstone,my buddy and 1 were able to rescue 1 but the first 1 that went in sunk to the bottom,the guy had no idea how much ice there was and for whatever reason he decided to drive to the wet area to try to cross the crack,he said when it went in he jumped off the machine and it floated there a bit before sinking,in the mean time his wife followed him into the crack just a few feet away,luckily her machine didn't sink and we were able to pull it out.less than 100' away the crack is fine and they would have had no issues in crossing.hope they get the other wheeler out and i'm glad the couple was ok

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1146 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:27 PM »
how do you get a wheeler out and how deep was is it???

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1147 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I was out thoere yesterday I'm suprised more people didn't go thru . It was prolly the same guy that I that was out with no idea about the cracks the thickness   drove 5 miles up the middle of the lake over the deepest part to ask how thick the ice was .  A guy  and his family  . I'm almost betting it was the same people if it was around hartstone .

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1148 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

It was a nice fish but was a little to short so back in the lake she went. Got about a dozen out of the same hole all day including that one.

although that fish looks super rare, its actually just a pigment defect the fish currently has. This happens to alot of fish. It will only stay with the fish for a year or two before it heals/passes through its system. Google it.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1149 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:22 AM »
your day out with the children looks a hoot.looks like they get theme bigger them you. ;Dtc5

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #1150 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 AM »
If its not rare and it happens to alot of fish how come I haven't heard ( or anyone I'm friends with) of a fish( laker) like this being caught?    How many have you caught or seen?   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1151 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:14 AM »
neted and iced to many to count and never seen any thing like that in all my days.jj you ever see any thing like that. tc5

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1152 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:16 AM »
Ha ha it is the BS thread combsey.    Some peoples kids.  LOL
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1153 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:29 AM »
Great photo's of the kids Mealworm, from the smiles on their faces it looks like you have fishing partners for a long time.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #1154 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:38 AM »
Yeah roundlakeny.  But to many people on here this year are dissing people's good days and fish.    A fish that is rare gets comments that say its something common and people having 20 fish days are called liars.     And me being friends and being there with some off these people kind of irks me. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1155 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:19 AM »
Happens every year. Haters gonna hate.       
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1156 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Beautiful Kids Logan! That feeling of excitement and happiness they are showing in the pics stays with them and, for that matter, all of us for a lifetime! Thinks its why we all can relate as to how happy we fishermen and women are every time we catch a fish or just simply being out on the water! Great job Dad!

Mike

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1157 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Fished vets park Saturday from 730-330. Between 3 of us we caught over 150 perch kept 50 over 9". 3 lrg mouths 2 over 3lbs. A ton of pumpkin seeds that were all tossed back. Used a windlass tipup for the first time with great results 12 flags my brother caught his first northern 27" 5lbs on it as well. We had a great day with 7-8" in most spots!
!!FLAG!!

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1158 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:47 AM »
nice catch guys. I have been fishing lake trout for 30+ years and i have never seen or heard of one like that nice pics.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1159 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:52 AM »
If its not rare and it happens to alot of fish how come I haven't heard ( or anyone I'm friends with) of a fish( laker) like this being caught?    How many have you caught or seen?   

it happens alot more then you think. Walleye have been caught with the same issue. Albino catfish, have the same issue. Perch and largemouth's have been caught with the same issue as well, northens etc.... Real albino fish have red eyes.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pigment+defect+in+fish&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.dmQ&biw=1366&bih=639&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=F14rUeG_Fsyv0AGOnoGwAw#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=albino+lake+trout&oq=albino+lake+trout&gs_l=img.3...62582.63717.0.64382.10.10.0.0.0.0.95.637.10.10.0...0.0...1c.1.4.img.ufkN78J6w-g&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=e1abd980d1307f71&biw=1366&bih=639

http://www.outdoornews.com/September-2005/Albino-laker-on-display-at-Marquette-fish-hatchery/

"True albino fish are rarely if ever seen in the wild because their survivability is so low. Albinism is a recessive genetic trait and these fish lack melanin, a substance that produces color in animals.."

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1160 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:55 AM »
you guys take some comment's the wrong way. This is why I have a big problem with this forum. In no way am I dissing this guys "albino laker". It is a rare fish for sure. I was just simply saying it happens alot more then you guys think. I was no way being a jerk about it. Just trying to educate maybe some that dont know what or why that fish is like that.

Chill out people. You take something minor and make drama out of it.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1161 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:08 AM »
Ha ha it is the BS thread combsey.    Some peoples kids.  LOL

....ya what a shame....some peoples kids.....

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1162 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:38 AM »
Fished Harris on Sunday. Fished all the way out to Long Island, only getting dinks. Finally caught a decent perch out from the island and could see more on the flasher that wouldn't bite so I started throwing everything at them. Finally started catching them on a small, chartreuse, tungsten jig with a fly tied just above it. Kept 30 between 11 and 14 inches from noon to 3:00 all from the same hole. Needed fresh spikes worked up from the very bottom and also a strike indicator as they hit very lightly. Best day of 5 on the king this year.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #1163 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:36 AM »
2 wheelers went through the pressure crack off hearthstone,my buddy and 1 were able to rescue 1 but the first 1 that went in sunk to the bottom,the guy had no idea how much ice there was and for whatever reason he decided to drive to the wet area to try to cross the crack,he said when it went in he jumped off the machine and it floated there a bit before sinking,in the mean time his wife followed him into the crack just a few feet away,luckily her machine didn't sink and we were able to pull it out.less than 100' away the crack is fine and they would have had no issues in crossing.hope they get the other wheeler out and i'm glad the couple was ok

Wow, just curious, what time of day was that?  I drove on around 9 and off with the quad there about 2 yesterday coming in and out from the northeast and didn't see any issues except right at the ice shove on shore where it looked a little soft.  I was suprised at how few people were on the lake.  Really quiet out there for such a nice day. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1164 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Let's play nice fellas.
This is one of the best threads going this year for a lot of us. No need to go back and forth.
Thanks for the insight on the albinos SS.

Well done Logan! Your kids did a heck of a lot better than I did yesterday.  ;D
Best pics of the year on this thread. Hopefully we can get all of the kids out at the same time one of these days.

Keep on keepin' on Bird. We need more dudes like you to help keep us in a good light.
Maybe someone could offer him some manual labor in the spring to help clean up his property?
Just a thought.
Either way. Good call spreading the word.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slab daddy 518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1165 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 AM »
bird21s it's always great to share memories like that with children catching fish ,my girlfriends kid and I fished schroon last sept. and got the joy of him bringing in a 40" northern that weighed 12.5 lbs. As for the scum that don't respect your acsess I feel your pain,2 yrs ago I lost acsess to my best hunting spot because someone shot through a house.

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1166 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I also truly appreciate the Lake Road access and offer my help in any way to keep this access available. Maybe we could pitch in and get them a spring cleanup by a local landscape company or maybe a gift certificate to one of their favorite places. I've also had good luck by leaving a couple cases a beer.

Does Lake George have some sort of sportsman group that you could donate to or volunteer services that could cultivate relationships with some of these landowners to maintain a workable relationship between property owners and the fisherman?

Another thought would be that maybe the marina in that location could come up with a plan to allow fisherman safe access and make a couple bucks in the meantime. Maybe charge $5-$10 a car for parking or something along those lines. I know some of the businesses along the Lake Ontario shorline have similar programs that is a win / win for all.   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #1167 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:17 AM »
It is a rare fish for sure. I was just simply saying it happens alot more then you guys think.

could you elaborate a little more.   I worked in a trout hatchery for 4 years.   I took care of close to a million trout in that time.     Never once did I see any trout that had this sort of color phase or albinism.  I can find no literature about that coloration in char, and very little about salmonids with that coloration in general.  Most I could find about that was palomino rainbows.  It is a VERY rare gene that is bred into hatchery fish today.  They only get 200 actual palomino (albino) fish out of 250,000 palomino bread eggs.

I'm guessing your thinking of the light color phase that smallmouth and largemouth (and other centrachids and percids) under go from time to time, or the dark splotches on smallmouth and largemouth, cause those are all pretty common and come and go for the fish.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1168 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:21 AM »
This is the letter I left him three days prior.  I would like to think, that if this gentleman reaches out, others such as your self slayer would assist me if available.  And I'm putting it out their that If others have a place similar, might go along way to show your appreciation, ill help anyone with anything so if you know a spot that could use repair ill be a part of the team.
[/quote]
Nice job man. I'm game to help whenever and where ever. bluemountainlaker has "in" with the place that shut us out a few weeks ago. Maybe we can do the same there too.
We'll chat tonight on the ice between walters.  ;)
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

JJ

« Reply #1169 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:40 AM »
could you elaborate a little more.   I worked in a trout hatchery for 4 years.   I took care of close to a million trout in that time.     Never once did I see any trout that had this sort of color phase or albinism.  I can find no literature about that coloration in char, and very little about salmonids with that coloration in general.  Most I could find about that was palomino rainbows.  It is a VERY rare gene that is bred into hatchery fish today.  They only get 200 actual palomino (albino) fish out of 250,000 palomino bread eggs.

I'm guessing your thinking of the light color phase that smallmouth and largemouth (and other centrachids and percids) under go from time to time, or the dark splotches on smallmouth and largemouth, cause those are all pretty common and come and go for the fish.

I have to agree, I have never seen anything like this after handling over 20,000 lakers from LG over the years. I don't think this is a case of albinism but a deficiency in the darker pigmentation, obviously some color is being produced. I beleive it is a similar (or the same mutation) that resulted in the Palomino variety of rainbow trout; that strain came about from one fish that showed the trait for "golden" coloration at a hatchery in West Viginia in 1954. With all the natural reproduction that occurs with lakers in Lake George, there would be a greater chance for this to happen here. It is probably the result of a recessive gene, meaning both parents needed to have the mutation for it to show in the offspring. Definitely a 1 in a million fish or more, will be interesting to see if more show up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.