Author Topic: Lake George Salmon  (Read 2972 times)

Offline fishkill 1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where are the SALMON !!
Lake George Salmon
« on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Has anyone been catching any salmon in the lake this year? I've been trying just below the ice with 3-4" emralds in about 80-140' of water. Have had a flag on them all year ???OK not true .I caught two small lakers on them,but thats it >:(NEED SOME HELP. Thanx

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Re: Lake George Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:50 AM »
I caught one about 8' below the ice back in Feb. on a small Icicle in Lake George, and one about the same depth in Otsego lake also. Both were in about 80' of water on small Icicles. Hope this helps. I think they are really hit or miss, no consistent action on them. The one from Lake George tasted excellent!!

Robb :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:50 AM »
only caught one on a small minnow 2 ft below the ice in 20 ft of water.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:01 AM »
 I got lucky and iced a great tasting 21" landlock out of Schroon this year back in Feb.No more salmon yet.

Heard people are getting a few more salmon this year out of Lake George.

Read some of the past New York reports earlier in the year.Some guys hooked some right after first ice around million dollar beach and cotton pt.and veterans park out near small island off of Sagamour.

I have`nt been to Lake George yet.Been trying Indian Lake for browns without luck.All Lakers thus far.
Hope this helps.

WB

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:14 AM »
From what I see the salmon are few and far between when icefishing. I have personally witnessed a whopping total of TWO salmon caught in two winters now on Lake George. I wouldn't waste my time.
I have to disagree, after seeing how beautiful a fish they are, I am definitely focusing  more on trying to catch them.

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Perhaps some people enjoy targeting the more elusive species due to the challenge.  The sport seems to be much more rewarding when practiced this way.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:15 AM »
We set our tip-ups for pike, salmon, and the occasional lake trout while jigging for perch. Targeting multiple species is the way to fish.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2005, 01:05 PM »
From what I see the salmon are few and far between when icefishing.  I have personally witnessed a whopping total of TWO salmon caught in two winters now on Lake George.  I wouldn't waste my time. 

It must be the Aqua-Vu doesn't work on salmon, otherwise you'd be catching more of these than anyone else.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2005, 03:30 PM »
From what I see the salmon are few and far between when icefishing.  I have personally witnessed a whopping total of TWO salmon caught in two winters now on Lake George.  I wouldn't waste my time. 

It must be the Aqua-Vu doesn't work on salmon, otherwise you'd be catching more of these than anyone else.

Well, the trick would be to buy 5 aquaviews, one for each tipup, and then keep all of the monitors in your shanty.  It might be like working store security at Wal Mart trying to keep all the screens monitored but at least you'd know what's going on with each of your minnows. LOL!  The only problem is the aquaview DOESN'T ACTUALLY MAKE THE FISH BITE so I don't know if it would help or not but at least you'd know if a salmon was coming. ;)

Now that's an interesting idea. Has anyone tried multiple aquaviews?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Other than that being sarcastic... ;D
No, that gets expensive real quick! LOL

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Salmon are really tasty, and I have seen a lot iced this year. Theres a good spot out off pilot knobs warehouse, theres a big wall out there, the salmon love it ;)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:59 PM »
I would like to see the state start a walleye program in the king.  Salmon just aren't making it.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I've been thinking about that too, maybe not even the Browns, they might compete with our lakers! ;D
The walleyes would really thrive in the narrows and on a certain sunken island! :whistle: (Along with everywhere else on the lake) :)

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:10 PM »
 Walleyes would be AWESOME, but only one problem we would really never get slipbob off the king then. JIg perch up in the morning, then lakers, and then walleye at night all in the same day, how nice it would be.
Jason

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I will be dumping Alewives, Asian carp, and zebra mussels into Lake George as soon as the ice is gone. I say, let evolution takes its course, and if those girlything-a$$ salmon and lakers can't compete then let 'em all die!  ;)

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:39 AM »
I will be dumping Alewives, Asian carp, and zebra mussels into Lake George as soon as the ice is gone. I say, let evolution takes its course, and if those girl thingy-a$$ salmon and lakers can't compete then let 'em all die! ;)

Don't forget those round-eyed gobys  ;)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:03 AM »
That would best be left up to the fisheries biologists and not someone who "thinks" it's a good idea.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:05 AM »
What would really help to catch those salmon would be to get rid of those darn snowmobiles on the lake! >:( ;)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Can't disagree with that....it's quite hard to catch one on a tipup that has just been obliterated by some joyrider flying through your setup as well.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2005, 04:55 PM »
That would best be left up to the fisheries biologists and not someone who "thinks" it's a good idea.
Yeah the biologists are doing SO WELL with the salmon... ::) ;D I'm not going to pour eyes in the King, but i should... :D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:35 PM »
That would be awesome if they put some eyes in the king! Then I wouldn't have to go to the dead sea, and get fat eating venison all day awaiting a flag. The only time I've actually caught multiple fish there was when ol' pike an eyes was there chatting all day. Hey, wanna go out pike? :P
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:26 AM »
I would like to see a total lake reclamation project done on Lake George. Net all of the salmon and lakers and pike out and feed them to the homeless.( Or to people with really big freezers that do have a home ) Then chemically sterilize the water to kill all remaining fish, and wait for the water to be safe again. Restock the lake with smelt and nothing else because they do so well. Once there is an abundant smelt population again, put in ONE killer whale, one of Shamu's babies, and let him grow to a world record size by gorging on all the smelt without any competition. Once he gets big enough, open up a new tourist attraction where people can come from all over to see the big Shamu with his trainer, SLIPBOB.

We will call the attraction, " SLIPBOB'S AQUA-VU UNDERWATER ADVENTURE ". And you thought Charlie Wood was a genius for starting Storytown?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:41 AM »
LMFAO..the most thoughtful idea yet

Fishmon

« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:17 AM »
Best way to catch salmon on LG is during open water season when you can target delta areas with streamer flies.  Had some decent success just before lake froze this year.  After lake freezes, it is a crap shoot with tipups.  I have seen a few caught this year mostly by accident when raising and lowering bait in deeper water.  They will slam a minnow just below ice if they are inclined to do so.

Sadly, I have to agree that the salmon fishery is a bust in LG, but a few diehards will not let it die a natural death.  In my opinion, browns would do well, rainbows would be a blast (put and take), and walleyes would be very interesting to say the least.

Offline caveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2005, 12:51 PM »
I just want every to know that adkroy has never  caugth a salmon.He was with me when I caugth my salmon and thats it. ;D
Caveman out fishes everyone!  Kill more of god's creatures!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I just want every to know that adkroy has never  caugth a salmon.He was with me when I caugth my salmon and thats it. ;D

Why you starting trouble?

Offline caveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Adkroy I am not starting trouble .I am telling the truth.
Caveman out fishes everyone!  Kill more of god's creatures!

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Im 35 years old ab=nd have been fishing LG since I was about 15. 20 yrs -+.
20 years ago wed catch salmon. I havent caught one in about 5 years. I now fish Eaton when I want salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.