Author Topic: Camper into shanty  (Read 4608 times)

Snag

Camper into shanty
« on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:25 AM »
I am in the process of turning a pop up camper into a shack on wheels. I have taken the soft walls out and made 2 x 2 walls.  I left the stove and heater in. I was wondering if anyone has any other Ideas about doing this.  It seems like it should work good once the ice is thick enough to drive on. Any comments are appriecated.  I will post how it works
Snag

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Camper into shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:52 PM »
There are some guys up here that do just that. They rip oout the walls. install cheap paneling and make bunks. It's probably cheaper then bulding a standard shanty from scratch.

Snag

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:11 PM »
Any Idea what they used for the walls, and also did they insulate the floor?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 04:31 AM »
For the inside walls the used paneling or 1/8" luan. I don't believe they insulated the floors, but they do put down carpet in the ones they don't fish in (those guys are tip-up only) which acts as insulation.

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:07 PM »
I had one about 10 years ago, good size, had a table on each end that folded down to a 3X7 bed, stove, furnace, and ice box. What we did is set it up, removed the canvas, put 2X4's in corners around the door, then closed it in with plywood. It worked great, just like a camp in the middle of the lake. The only problem was waiting for the ice to get thickenough to haul it out, then dealing with deep snow and slush when getting it off.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:48 AM »
I'm in the process of taking a 8x16 ft. camper and making it into a shack. On your pop up campers what do you do for your fishing holes? I'm thinking on mine making a box. Slide it under and then lower the camper front onto it. What do you think. Boxcar

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:49 AM »
A friend did the same thing, but for the insert between the floor & the ice, he used pieces of PVC pipe.  It does not freeze to the ice like wood .

Snag

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:34 AM »
My first year I cut 5 gallon bucket size holes.  I screwed the cutouts to a bigger piece of plywood for closing the holes when not in use. Im having problems the the bottom getting cold so I am going to put a 1 inch foam layer on the floor and cover that with .250 plyboard. I am also going to try a 3 foot by 1 foot  rectangle hole to fish out of and use plywood sides that slide in and out of the hole. Tough to get a open spot through the floor without hitting the trailer frame.

tolate

Re: Camper into shanty
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:53 PM »
my dad ,uncale and i made one out of a hard side camper it work great. it 8+6 my dad has a4+4 4wheeler 330 wecan pullit with that. we have metal sqare tubes and flaps. heat with mr. heater. 4 people can fish out of it.nest on is a popup . piick it up last night.

snowfish

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Hello.   This is a really nice site :) Just found it, and was thinking of doing this same thing with a pop-up. Can anyone tell me why you couldn't leave the pop-up original, and just pop it up on the ice and camp out of it? Are the walls to thin to hold heat? Wanted to be able to stay on ice for whole weekend. Thanks......Ralph

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:34 PM »
with the canvas walls out in the open on the ice, the cold air will find it's way in somehow. when I had a pop-up we winter camped in it and even with the furnace going it was cold. this pop-up was not an old beater but a 1994 rockwood. I would go with hard sides and insulation. just my 2 cents.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:01 PM »
glancing at the registration of my 1995 stacraft 9' pop-up camper i notice a gross weight of 1200 lbs. pretty heavy shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.