The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Toltec.....Wheatland #3?  (Read 5262 times)

Offline lethalwepon

• IceShanty Rookie
Toltec.....Wheatland #3?
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Did anyone get up to Toltec or Wheatland #3 this weekend?

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where'd I put that gas can?
Re: Toltec.....Wheatland #3?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Hey Lethal, a friend of mine was at Toltec this weekend and said there was about 8" to 9" of good ice.

Offline lethalwepon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Hey Lethal, a friend of mine was at Toltec this weekend and said there was about 8" to 9" of good ice.

Very nice, i guess i'll have to make a trip up there this weekend if the weather doen't get too out of control.

How did your friend do?

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006, 03:56 PM »

That's nice that means that i will have to head up thier one of these weekends and take a fishin' trip.

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Very nice, i guess i'll have to make a trip up there this weekend if the weather doen't get too out of control.

How did your friend do?

He never said, so I'm guessing not so good.  Last time I was up there I just got a couple of dinks.  Long drive from Cheyenne for small trout.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:27 PM »
He never said, so I'm guessing not so good.  Last time I was up there I just got a couple of dinks.  Long drive from Cheyenne for small trout.

I drove up there twice from Denver for small trout.  If ya like the middle of nowhere, its a fabulous place!  I'll stick to Wheatland from now on!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:46 PM »

I drove up there twice from Denver for small trout.  If ya like the middle of nowhere, its a fabulous place!  I'll stick to Wheatland from now on!
Well put Slayer, if your fishing for solitude you will not be disappointed.  Haven't been to Wheatland in a while, I hope there is more water than the last time I was there.

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:19 PM »
has anyone been up to #3 yet? if so how does the lake's level look? Is it still three or four lakes?  ??? :-\ :tipup:

Offline Wyo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:22 AM »
:clap: ...Drove up to Toltec last Monday (1/15) for my first shot at ice fishing the thing.  There was a foot or more of ice under six-to-eight inches of snow.  As per earlier comments about remoteness, she's indeed "way out there."  It was strictly a "four-wheel-high" proposition all the way!  Cell phone coverage is poor-to-none, so bring all the winter gear you have.  ...Lots of small bows were caught and released, but kept an 18 an 15-incher for the frying pan.  ...Did have one big-un easily break my line, and give me a view of a huge square tail as it casually sculled away from the hole.  I'm f'sure going to visit this lonely little reservoir come float tube season!
ICE IS NICE...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:20 AM »
:clap: ...Drove up to Toltec last Monday (1/15) for my first shot at ice fishing the thing.  There was a foot or more of ice under six-to-eight inches of snow.  As per earlier comments about remoteness, she's indeed "way out there."  It was strictly a "four-wheel-high" proposition all the way!  Cell phone coverage is poor-to-none, so bring all the winter gear you have.  ...Lots of small bows were caught and released, but kept an 18 an 15-incher for the frying pan.  ...Did have one big-un easily break my line, and give me a view of a huge square tail as it casually sculled away from the hole.  I'm f'sure going to visit this lonely little reservoir come float tube season!

Yeah Toltec is pretty cool!  I too am planning on camping /tubing there in may or so.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:03 PM »
drove by number 3 this weekend and their is hardly any water in it. Couldn't get over by the dam thier was to much snow. The area with the boat ramp was so low that you would have to drive almost all the way across the lake just to get to any ice. I wouldn't sugest going thier if you are planing on it.  :o

Offline wyohookset

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:18 PM »
drove by number 3 this weekend and their is hardly any water in it. Couldn't get over by the dam thier was to much snow. The area with the boat ramp was so low that you would have to drive almost all the way across the lake just to get to any ice. I wouldn't sugest going thier if you are planing on it.  :o

That's sad to hear.  #3 used to be an excellent fishery loaded with 3lb+ cutthroats and bo's.  I went there all the time when I lived in Laramie and used to have no probem C&R'ing at least a full limit every trip.  Hopefully since we are actually having a true winter this year we will get the snowpack we need to start turning our lakes back in the right direction.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Quote from: wyohookset .  Hopefully since we are actually having a true winter this year we will get the snowpack we need to start turning our lakes back in the right direction.
[/quote

amen on that!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I loved #3- we had a hard time catching trout that were small enough(< 20") to keep!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Slayer was that in the past or did you go up there recently and nail the bows???? I have been getting skunked there the last few times i have went so  i havent been back..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Slayer was that in the past or did you go up there recently and nail the bows???? I have been getting skunked there the last few times i have went so  i havent been back..

This was many years ago -it was full to the brim!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:38 PM »
This was many years ago -it was full to the brim!

Those were the good pld days when you could catch them all day long and they were over 20". i miss those days out thier  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.