Author Topic: dull lazer blades  (Read 915 times)

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
dull lazer blades
« on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:52 PM »
hi everybody
           last year i had a set of 8" power lazer blades sharpened by a local outfit (central vermont) that said they could sharpen them. well they're duller than before, where do you guys get yours done??? any help would surly be appreciated, good ice is almost here!!!

thanx mikefishon

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: dull lazer blades
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Try this link to an Iceshanty sponsor.     ;)2

http://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening-exchange.aspx

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Are you sure they are on right? Cutting angle facing up and not down. Does your auger have a point,if so is it sharp? I do believe Fish307 a sponsor does sharpen blades. Could the angle be off? Didn't bend anything?
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:17 PM »
If someone tried to sharpen them and they came out worse, they are likely ruined. Doubtful anyone can fix them. You'll likely have to buy new ones.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Something people overlook constantly, is that auger point. Remember, those blades ride ABOVE it...if it isn't sharp and "pointy", you aren't going to have squat for cutting oomph. Check that point!
Like a good knife, if they knocked the angle "off" it CAN be brought back into the proper degreed angle, it's just a pain to do it, and you need to know how to do it. The smaller the angle like a 17-22 deg, will be a very fine cutting edge, but less durable. An angle of 20-22 degs is middle of the road. A 28 deg and above angle is very durable, but the "keen" edge gives way to durability. (most chopping tools, like meat cleavers, hand axes, are cut to a 30 deg angle)
IMO, some of these blades need a different angle compromise.  Just did 3 high-end knives for a guy this Summer that had a place "sharpen" them, and had the 22* angle totally fudged. Took a fair amount of work to get them right. But then again, I've been doing it right since the late 70's....with 2 stones and honing oil.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Angler's Point does mine. Lake St. Clair..Couple people fish that pond on occasion!! 

http://www.anglerspointmarina.com/Ice_Auger_Services.php

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:51 PM »
thanx guys rebelss i think your right on the money. i know my blades aren't dull they screwed up the angle. i run a printing co. and if the angle isn't 21  or 23 deg i forget on my paper cutter (35" blade) it won't cut worth a s---. it was the blades first sharpening so i think (hope) they can be fixed. if not i have another set. on my old strikemaster and an old suicide stick jiffy before that they had straight blades  and i sharpened my own, with a stone and oil. but these blades are curved and i didn't want to mess with them. oh yes my point is sharp as hell, i ain't no rookie iv'e been at this for forty+ years myself. idahoe thanx for the link iv'e seen that before, i couldn't for the life of me remember where! and they're running a holiday special for 9 bucks,can't beat
that!!
                                                                                                                                                                                       thanx mikefishon

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Look up Jackpine here on the Shanty. He is the man.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.