Author Topic: newbie with ? about clam auger kit  (Read 1705 times)

Offline flyfisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
newbie with ? about clam auger kit
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Hi to all! This site is excellent. I've already secured some old skis to make a Smitty sled - will post. First, I'm hoping for some help from fellow users. I recently received the Clam drill plate auger kit and it looks well made. Problem is that the auger-to-plate adaptor (metal piece of left of 1st image) doesn't fit into the shaft of my auger. This is an old auger I inherited, I believe it's a Mora (6"). The old auger is a folding type and the wing bolt sits in a cleft where the handle and auger meet. Not sure if they make this style anymore. Am I missing something here? Is there an adaptor for this issue or will I need to hit a local machine shop? I will try to call Clam but was hoping for some feedback from IS users. I was hoping to be able to use this auger as it still works quite well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: newbie with ? about clam auger kit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Yeah I think the problem is the auger is not the traditional mora type. I would call Clam but I'm guessing you are going to need to have a collar custom made. Or, just buy a new auger. I have a lazer and it worked perfect with the Conversion kit.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Maybe a short piece of conduit for a coupler .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Weld it

Or good ol' fashion duct tape if you really want to go hillbilly, might take 2 full rolls to hold up though haha

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:15 AM »
It would be cheaper to just buy a new hand auger. The Clam adapter is made to slide into the auger. Depending on the drill you use you can go with any auger from 5 to 7 inches and have a really good setup. I like the Mora over the Lazer but either will work. The most important part is the drill. Go with a 18 to 36 volt Lithium Ion drill with 3,4 or 5 amh batteries. You need at least 400 inch pounds of torque and 400 rpm on the low setting. Hammer drills are better due to the heavy duty gears. Don't use the hammer setting use the drill setting or you will wreck your auger. My setup is the Milwaukee Fuel 18 with 4.0 amh Lithium Ion batteries and a 6 or 7 inch Mora auger on the Clam Plate. The drill puts out 725 inch pounds of torque at 550 rpm on the low speed setting and I get over 80 holes on 1 battery through 24 inches of ice.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Clam plate only works for telescoping hand augers. Pretty sure it says that right on the box.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:20 AM »
What's the diameters of auger, and adapter? Look pretty close...possibly could use a sleeve of some sort with holes in it to bolt it on.( maybe like galvanized pipe...?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:26 PM »
May have the answer right in hand .. the Clam drill plates adapter and the auger main shaft appear to be similar dimensions ...so will the auger handle work as a coupler ? a few cuts and some drilling . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

luv2fish2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 02:15 PM »
the handle and the auger are exactly the same size one butts against the other so the handle is the same size as the adapter so thats a no go and you don't want wreck that handle thats the offset kind everyone wants for there lazer. your gonna have to make a sleeve, i gotta get someone to do the same thing till then i bought a 6 " k drill if i go to a 7" i'll use my old mora like yours hence i need a sleeve  there is also another kind that the handle threads ontothe auger it's self . the  newer mora's are identical to a lazer

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Yeah I think the problem is the auger is not the traditional mora type.

Ahhhh but it IS in fact the "OLD STYLE TRADITIONAL" Mora auger.  It was the only style they sold for years, probably before your time.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline flyfisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Clam plate only works for telescoping hand augers. Pretty sure it says that right on the box.

Well, it doesn't seem to say that on the box or on their website. On the box the claim is that it works with "most" augers. Regardless, I ordered it online without seeing the box. But it's really no big deal, I will either make an adaptor, have one made if it needs precision machining or pick up an extra hand-auger as a last resort - I've been looking for an excuse to get an Finbore III or Nils  :). Then ye olde tyme Mora would get sent to the cottage where so many of my tools seem to migrate....

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll let you know how it works out. It looks like a few more weeks before qood ice here in Eastern Ontario this year though. As for the drill, I already have older Rigid and Bosch cordless hammers, and a newer Dewalt. The Bosch claims the best torque (550 in-lbs) so I'll try it first. If none of these suffice, I'll definitely have a look at the newer Rigid hammer as suggested. The Milwaukee Fuel is a sweet tool but pretty pricey given I already have 3 good cordless units and the Rigid would take my current batteries + lifetime warranty.

Cheers and thanks again for the ideas.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I shelled out $70 for a machined adapter for my Nils. It really depends on what you are willing to spend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.