Author Topic: Neoprene gloves  (Read 3488 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Neoprene gloves
« on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Bought some neoprene gloves the other day. I was wearing them for a short but and seem to make my hands sweat. Is this how neoprene gloves work?
jbird68

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Neoprene gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2019, 06:16 PM »
For my outside activities neoprene would not be considered, not much flexibility in any I have ever used.  My favorite ice fishing\chain-sawing in snow glove the last few years is the Ninja Ice, it is manufactured by Memphis gloves.  I bought them locally at the hardware store to begin with, but have found them on Amazon for a lot better price.  They are nice flexible glove that keeps your hands reasonably warm and your hands won't get wet unless you in over the cuffs, even my wife wears them in the winter when she does not want to get her hands wet.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:21 AM »
In my experience.....Neopren e = Sweat = Cold

They work great at keepjng the hands free of water/moisture from the outside, but after wearing them for a bit my hands always began to sweat and then got very cold !!

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 11:31 AM »
Atlas 460 gloves would be better IMO if you want waterproof exterior and keep your hands warm.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:57 PM »
When I'm handling wet stuff like the dock line and chains...neoprene is just fine.  It's totally water resistant.

If for keeping hands warm, something else.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:15 PM »
It looks like a number of us thought that neoprene would make a good ice fishing glove, only to learn that's not the case. Stiff and not wetsuit warm at all. My practice for some

years now consists of half finger gloves, essential that they be merino wool and not acrylic type textiles. Good for handling tackle and equipment. If the hands get cold, have a pair

of down mittens available, the kind that slip of and on easily. No elastic cuffs. Remove them in a second when a fish hits or you choose to take another hit.

I'll take a look at that Ninja Ice as well.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 03:31 PM »
I bought some glommits at the end of last year and didn't really get to try them until late this fall at a football game. They were not very warm. I got them from Lengendary Whitetails. They are leather with full finger coverage. A couple years ago I bout the Ice Armour glommits and they were too still to fish with. They had plastic snaps to hold the mitten part back. But when folded back they seemed to cut into the back of my hand. I was hoping the neoprene would be a good glove to to stay dry. But if they cause me to sweat they aren't going to be very well liked. I also have a pair of leather mittens from Farm and Fleet I really like even though they don't have a lot of insulation in them. They have a full gingered glove sewn inside. I would probably like them better if they had a handwarmer pocket built in.

Thanks for all of the replies.
jbird68

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the ice ninjas. I usually rotate between gloves depending on what I'm doing and these look like they could replace what I would normally put in my neoprene gloves for. The price is right too ($8.21 on zammyzon).

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the ice ninjas. I usually rotate between gloves depending on what I'm doing and these look like they could replace what I would normally put in my neoprene gloves for. The price is right too ($8.21 on zammyzon).
Actually checked out the ice ninjas. Got a pair today. Slide on and off nice. Seem like they will be warm enough. Now for the kicker. I have really great mitten/ glove setups. So I will be using the ninjas for work! Do think they would be good for fishing just don’t know how warm they will be in subzero conditions. If they are warm enough at work I will give an update.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Neoprene gloves are great for gripping wet line. I use them when fishing with braid (surf cast and bridge/pier fishing)

No good for ice fishing because your hands will sweat because it is not breathable, and as stated earlier, sweat = wet = cold numbing hands.

You want gloves / mitts that are either breathable or roomy enough for some air circulation, that way you can add a hand warmer when needed.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.