Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112491 times)

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:38 PM »
That makes sense, I was kind of wondering about that. Think me and my son might give  making one of these a go.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:50 PM »
No registration necessary for the Snow Dog.

I think it would depend on the state.   I'm sure it would be illegal on most lakes in Pa.. (other then privately owned).

Offline edscreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:45 AM »
How about slushy conditions?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Check out some of the Russian u tube vids on "Motosabaka"  or "Snow Dog"

Offline Bob-er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I bought a Tracksled from a couple brothers in Jackson MN that make them. Mine has a 9 hp motor with 15x121 snowmobile track. Comes with a sled too. I'm hooking it to my bay runner fishing sled. I ran it around the yard, pulls good. There only on FB under Best TrackSled and on YouTube

Offline WalleyeMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Took the Snow Dog out yesterday ice fishing for the first time.  Metalbender/Bob-er/others, I had an issue - maybe you guys can help me with.  The lake I was on was glaze ice - no snow cover at all.  I was pulling my clam shanty behind my riding sled.  I  attached the pull rope from the shanty to the back of my riding sled (did not have a a tow bar to connect the riding sled to my clam).  My  problem was that I could only go very slow or I would whipsaw back and forth and would sometimes spin out.  It was very slow going. 

Do you guys use a tow bar to connect the back of your riding sleds to whatever you may pull behind that?  I'm guessing a tow bar will help stabilize the load.  Have you had this whipsaw/spin out problem on glaze ice?  I'm guessing that I won't have this problem with snow cover - but you can't always count on that.

Any ideas you have would be great to hear.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:49 PM »
On glare ice, a couple dozen or more hex head screws into the track on the power unit go a long way for traction.  Too many will make it hard to turn, first hand experience on my part.  As for the towed sleds, tow bars are a must, also a couple of short lengths of 3/4 inch angle iron, v down will keep you on track.  About 18-20 inches at the rear of the first sled.  Just have to weld a few 1/4 in bolts to the inside of the v, taper ft and back so they don't dig into the ice. If the Clam still dances about, same remedy. You didn't post the required pics.

Offline WalleyeMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Thanks MB.  I think I will start with the tow bar to attach my Clam shanty to the riding sled.  Also, I found some track studs for snowmobile tracks online (same concept as the hex head screws) and will give those a shot.  Do you use a specific pattern with those and what length of screw do you use?  Anything to be concerned about with placement of the track studs besides keeping them away from the rollers?

Hopefully those two things help.  If I'm still fishtailing/spinning out on glare ice, I'll figure something out with the bottom of the sleds.

Sorry - no pic's yet - I was too stressed out with all the spin-outs.  Forgot about taking pic's.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:52 PM »
First consideration, if the studs are very aggressive, they will make steering difficult. The hex screws seem to have enough bite but allow sideways slip for steering.  Stagger them for new ice for each screw.  You need some steel for directional stability in the first sled.  Angle iron was my choice as it's cheap and easy to work. I have lots of tools so no problem.  Some snowmobile steering carbides might be a more viable although more expensive alternative, depends on your tools and abilities.

Offline mhtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I am in the process in getting parts together for my first build pretty simple design was just wondering which end the motor would be better on plan on using it as a multi purpose rig haul deer ,wood and possibly trapping. I can see pros and cons front mount and rear mount just looking for suggestions awesome builds.

Offline dave1957sabel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Metalbender, can you send me some info on what parts you used to build a snowdog, like what kind of track, clutch motor , I'd love to build one!

Offline Jeffh129

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Thanks MB.  I think I will start with the tow bar to attach my Clam shanty to the riding sled.  Also, I found some track studs for snowmobile tracks online (same concept as the hex head screws) and will give those a shot.  Do you use a specific pattern with those and what length of screw do you use?  Anything to be concerned about with placement of the track studs besides keeping them away from the rollers?

Hopefully those two things help.  If I'm still fishtailing/spinning out on glare ice, I'll figure something out with the bottom of the sleds.

How is the Dog working for you? What brand and model carrier are you using? Where did you buy the Dog and carrier? I’m in SE Wi. Thank you

Sorry - no pic's yet - I was too stressed out with all the spin-outs.  Forgot about taking pic's.

Offline Alexfue90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Hey there all! New to the site! I’m building one of these units and I’m wondering where MetalBender got the drive/brake assemble that’s on the crank shaft?

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:45 AM »
They just started selling them in my home town. Picked up their brochure.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:23 PM »
The 2-1 centrifugal clutch chain drive gearcase was purchased off KIJIJI here in Canuckland. The brake assembly was fabbed up from a donor sled, to suit the application. The gearcase I bought did not fit the Princess auto 15 hp engine, quite a bit of machining was required for satisfactory results.  It might well fit on the Honda motors. Proper research is a must.   Lots of the Russian units use a variable pulley drive similar to a regular snow machine.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Wish there was a step by step build. I would love to build one but just have no experience.....in the end I assume it would cost me less in money and headache to buy one for $2500.....

irbis is coming out with one later this year apparently too:

http://www.irbismotors.com/muchtar_15

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:04 AM »
if only we could use these in PA
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I saw one Saturday as I was pulling my gear about 350 yards back to the launch getting winded.that snow dog was pulling a train of 3 shanties and 3 guys. it got back to the boat launch in under 2 minutes.took me 15 minutes and a albuterol inhaler hit to get back.lol.i want one but the price is not right for me yet.i don't even own a daily driver that cost that much.ive got a quad and a snowmobile but I don't want to pull a trailer or have one, and its a pain loading in a truck and then theres no room for gear.this snow dog makes sense to me but I cant get over the price.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:02 AM »
How about slushy conditions?

This is the question that needs answering. I can see this thing creating a hell of a mess on people/gear being pulled behind it.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Where can I buy those sled skates that is a Snowdog accessory item, that prevents the sled from fishtailing to much on glare ice ?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I have the Snowdog Standard model B13ME with 13 HP Briggs engine. This is the larger model and weighs just over 300 pounds and does not have reverse. The next model up, B13MER comes with the reverse gear.

I have used mine a bunch this season and mostly on glare ice with no snow. The machine does fine with no studs in the track but the towed sleds and shanties want to wag the dog and keep trying to spin the train out. The stand up sled directly behind the machine from Snowdog is a $200 option and comes with a rigid tow bar and hyfax runners and a tow hook at the rare for attaching other sleds. Running around on the slick ice was no issue without a studded track but on my lake they had dropped the water level leaving a sharp up hill climb on slick ice off the ice to the parking lot. This is where studs will be a must have. Driving the train on fresh snow was where the Snowdog performed flawlessly. I had my stand up sled with my Otter XT Pro Resort sled behind it plus a Clam 2 man shanty and another large Otter sled all being pulled and all were full of gear on 6 inches of heavy wet snow. The dog did the job with absolutely no problem and could easily go faster than I would want to run with all that stuff being towed. After getting all set up fishing we each took turns with just the Snowdog and stand up sled and it was a lot of fun cruising around at probably 20 MPH.

I just added Kold Cutter ice screws to the track, used the 1/2" ones I had left over from studding my ATV tires. I will bet out this week to see how they do on the glare ice and getting back off the lake to the parking lot. Figuring out how to keep the towed sleds tracking straight behind me will be the next challenge to overcome. I am thinking something like a Scratcher set up behind the sleds might do the trick.

All in all I am very impressed with the Snowdog. I don't have room in my shed for a big ATV or Snowmobile but the dog folds up in the corner 2' X 5' leaving plenty of room for my lawn tractor and other gear. I have a 10' Triton enclosed trailer that fits my clam 2 man guide shanty and my Otter XT Pro resort on one side and the snow dog and sled on the other side. I wish I had waited for the next model up with the reverse gear just to make it easier to get out of the trailer and if you ever do get the dog stuck it would be good to have. I don't yet know how it will do if we get a hard crust with slush below if the dog sinks in. I know from past experience with both ATVs and Snowmobiles that slush is a royal PITA so I can envision some issues in these conditions.

So far here in NY there is no laws or rules on registering and insuring these machines. I suspect once they become more popular with fisherman the state will come up with some way to get "Their Fair Share" in fees and taxes. This is NY after all and they will never let a fun machine or work machine go un taxed. The Snowdog is certainly not a machine for everyone but it sure does save my old legs and heart and will easily add another 10 years to my fishing adventures. Where I used to just go a hundred yards out from the launch I can now go all over my lake to the structure I find while fishing open water.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Hey Gam, good to hear you're having a ball with your track sled. They sure have their place for ice fishing, and like you say, not for everybody.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Having reverse sure is nice when you get yourself into a tight spot, same with a snowmobile reverse is your friend.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:58 AM »
I have the Snowdog Standard model B13ME with 13 HP Briggs engine. This is the larger model and weighs just over 300 pounds and does not have reverse. The next model up, B13MER comes with the reverse gear.
...................... ...................... ...................... ...

Gam

Great review Gam!  It answered a lot of questions I had about the Snowdog and made the decision easier for me  I'm still saving at this point but you may be due a commission when I buy one for the next season.  I'll be sure to mention your name when I buy.

Thanks

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Picked up a compact today and rode it in the backyard a little. Will be fun.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Right on.  Where's the pics of the ear to ear grin?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Picked up a compact today and rode it in the backyard a little. Will be fun.

Nice! For going good on bare ice you should pick up a bag of Kold Cutter Ice Screws 1/2-3/4 inches long. Your track has round spots designed to accept them and I staggered them on each rib, 3 across one rib and 2 across the next rib. The machine now sticks like glue to bare ice. Mine actually did quite well without studs but on the glare ice the sled behind my stand up sled kept trying to spin the dog out because it wags all over behind me.

I will be fishing this weekend and sure to be on ice skating ice with rain today and warm temps followed by a quick drop in temps tonight. I actually won't even need the Snow dog for pulling since my sled shanty pulls real easy on bare ice but I'll use it and be able to travel all over the lake real easy.

Good luck with your new dog and be sure to turn the fuel petcock off when the machine is being trailered.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:12 AM »
My home built track sleds.  Before I sold the first build, we had a family fun day at the BIL's place.  SIL retrieving grandkids from the bottom of the hill. The sleds seem to be gaining some popularity. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:31 AM »
No complaints from me at all with my 13.5 HP Snow dog. It pulled all the gear in 4 sleds across our lake with no issues at all.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Gamalot, do you routinely stand up while driving the sled?  I've done it a bit but have a fear of crashing and breaking old bones or my knee replacement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.