Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112492 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #90 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Thanks, MBOSS13!

That is the direction that I plan to go. I am also going to get reverse so I can collapse the handle and run it backwards in reverse up a ramp into the back of my pickup. I saw that on a video and, because I have a topper on my truck, it would work great.

Just my own personal opinion here but I think Snowdog should just add the extra $200 on every machine and just add the reverse as standard equipment. When the handle bars are folded over the machine the controls are still in the right position only the throttle and the brake are then on the opposite sides but still usable to run it up or out.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I am also going to get reverse so I can collapse the handle and run it backwards in reverse up a ramp into the back of my pickup.

You guys have me curious now.  I've only used the reverse a couple times moving the machine around in the driveway.

So far, I've had no issue loading it in forward.  I just stop the machine once the middle "bogey wheel" hits the tailgate, tilt the machine down, and fold the handle.  That leaves a couple inches of clearance.  Then I slide it under the cap.  Pretty simple.

If I fish Wednesday afternoon, I'll try walking it up the ramp in reverse and give you a report.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:40 AM »
You guys have me curious now.  I've only used the reverse a couple times moving the machine around in the driveway.

So far, I've had no issue loading it in forward.  I just stop the machine once the middle "bogey wheel" hits the tailgate, tilt the machine down, and fold the handle.  That leaves a couple inches of clearance.  Then I slide it under the cap.  Pretty simple.

If I fish Wednesday afternoon, I'll try walking it up the ramp in reverse and give you a report.

Good plan, yeah who knows, it might not be needed at all.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:59 AM »

Where is your reverse gear activation lever located? I have been told that this years models with reverse have the control located under the front cover zipper. That is not really an issue but more of a PITA to get to it. In conversations with Snowdog I have been told the 2018 models will have the reverse activation located on the handle bars, maybe just push button or a cable actuated lever but I have not yet seen this newer style. I would love to see a clear picture of the reverse components that I don't have on mine-----YET!

I would absolutely have gone for the B13MER model with reverse but NO machines were available when I bought mine in November. I am waiting for Snowdog to get me the parts to retrofit it.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I did it this morning.

I ended up getting the standard size with 13 hp but NOT the reverse after all. Here is why...

The sales person was very experienced and showed me that he could load it without reverse by folding the handle and simply using the throttle lever that is directly on the motor (where the cable attaches). He brought out a ramp and it drove forward it into my truck bed very easily with the handle folded down and using the throttle on the motor. I was shocked at how much room I still have in the bed of my truck for my hut, sleds, and stuff.

It really is an awesome solution for those who do not want a snowmobile or ATV and are looking for something simple and small.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 26, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Where is your reverse gear activation lever located? I have been told that this years models with reverse have the control located under the front cover zipper. That is not really an issue but more of a PITA to get to it. In conversations with Snowdog I have been told the 2018 models will have the reverse activation located on the handle bars, maybe just push button or a cable actuated lever but I have not yet seen this newer style. I would love to see a clear picture of the reverse components that I don't have on mine-----YET!

I would absolutely have gone for the B13MER model with reverse but NO machines were available when I bought mine in November. I am waiting for Snowdog to get me the parts to retrofit it.

Gam

Speaking to the SnowDog reps who were at our FD training last week, they're telling us the "reverse" feature shortly forthcoming is going to be electrically activated...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I was shocked at how much room I still have in the bed of my truck for my hut, sleds, and stuff.

Congratulations on your purchase!!  You're really going to like it.

Believe me, it's easy to fill the bed.   With two nested sleds on the side and the ramp laying diagonally across everything, there is no room left in a short box!!!

My next truck will have a standard bed.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Where is your reverse gear activation lever located? I have been told that this years models with reverse have the control located under the front cover zipper. That is not really an issue but more of a PITA to get to it.

Correct.  The reverse is utilitarian.  It is in no way convenient.  First, you unzip the cover, reach in, and attempt to actuate the lever.  That seldom works, so you have to "roll" the clutch by hand before there is enough clearance to engage the reverse.  All of this has to be done with the motor off.  So, once the lever is in reverse, you start the engine and move the machine where you need it to go.  Finally, you turn the motor off and repeat all the steps in reverse (pun intended).

I'll try to snap some pictures later this week.

I had my pick of two Snowdogs -- one with and one without reverse.  The dealer was honest about how inconvenient the reverse feature is.  However, since I fish alone so much of the time, I figured it was cheap insurance should I "stick" it in deep snow.  Much easier to walk it out than fight a 350# hunk of steel in powder.

If they upgrade the 2018 model with electric reverse, that would be a welcome improvement.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:02 PM »
If you think the reverse is inconvenient the way you have it on your machine then think about this. My very first time on the dog was in about 8 inches of snow. I drove on the side of the plowed road for about a half mile from the house. One minute I was going fine and all of a sudden I got a bit off track and drove right into the ditch where I had small trees in front and on both sides of the machine. Not a crash but I could not go forward at all. I also could not yank the 300 pounds backwards to get out. Had to walk back home and get the Kubota to drag me out. Drive the Kubota back home and then walk back up to get the dog. It sure would have been a lot easier to just play with the R and back the beast out.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:26 PM »
If you think the reverse is inconvenient the way you have it on your machine then think about this. My very first time on the dog was in about 8 inches of snow. I drove on the side of the plowed road for about a half mile from the house. One minute I was going fine and all of a sudden I got a bit off track and drove right into the ditch where I had small trees in front and on both sides of the machine. Not a crash but I could not go forward at all. I also could not yank the 300 pounds backwards to get out. Had to walk back home and get the Kubota to drag me out. Drive the Kubota back home and then walk back up to get the dog. It sure would have been a lot easier to just play with the R and back the beast out.

Gam

Dang, that sounds horrible. It is definetely a little bit of a learning curve and getting comfortable with the machine. It excels when driving flat.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 28, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Planning to pick up a Snowdog.

Last question, the compact seems much easier to load/store. Do you think that the standard is that much better if all I do is pull stuff on the ice?
I recently picked up the 13 hp compact that I purchased just for ice fishing. An excellent very well thought out ,and designed machine.That does everything that I've asked it to do, so far.The only thing that I haven't tried yet is deep snow. But they say that snow that is knee high is no problem. But to answer your question, if all your looking for is something to get you and your gear out on the ice and back, then, I think even the 10 hp compact model will do that.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:56 AM »
One more question...

What or how do you manage your sleds and stuff.

I saw a Youtube where one guy hitched his 2 person Clam sled directly to the Snowdog and sat in the swivel seat turned forward to drive. This eliminates the extra sled of stuff.

I have a few different shanty options that I use, based on the fishing location and if I am with company.

1. I plan to pull my 1-man Clam Blazer behind the Snowdog sled when fishing alone or in the BWCA. I can tow my Blazer to the edge of the BWCA and then trudge it in the rest of the way myself.

2. I have a large 6 person Clam Spearfisher pop-up that I can load in a sled(s) and haul out when I fish in groups. I think that I could get everything in the Snowdog sled and one additional sled.

3. I am planning to get a heavier 2 person Clam on a sled and do something like the Youtube I mentioned above, if I fish on normal lakes outside the BWCA. I think I can get everything in one sled and it would be easy to set up and move.

Sound reasonable?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:35 AM »
The Snowdog sled comes with a substantial hitch to the dog in the front and has metal tubing all around it under the top lip plus a rear hitch point for tying additional towed sleds. I towed the stand up sled with my 3 man Otter XT PRO RESORT sled and my 2 man Clam and two additional jet sleds all tied together like a train and all filled with the gear we needed for the day. I am sure this was well over 500 pounds. We hooked it all up on the flat ice and made the trek across the lake with no issues and very little grunt from the dog through 6 inches of snow.

On the return to the parking area the dog easily pulled me standing and just one additional sled up the ramp but could not pull the entire train. It lost traction in the gravel at the end of the cement launch ramp.

If I follow what you are asking all I can say is the dog has plenty of power for towing but it is limited by the traction it can get under it. Ice is very slick but ice with snow on top is way less slick. The track sticks like glue on the cement launch ramp but not so good on the loose gravel at the end. I need to use 4 wheel drive in my 4Runner when pulling my boat out and even then I spin wheels once I hit the gravel. All winter long we never had more than 8 inches of snow here at any one time so I have no real clue how well the dog would do in deep snow. It did blast right over 2 foot drifts with no problems at all but I was only in the stand up sled and not pulling a load when I did that. The pressure cracks some guys speak of might be an issue but I think they only happen up north on the big lakes and I have no idea what they could look like. Not too sure I like the idea of going air borne with the dog while pulling anything so I suppose I would follow the crack looking for a place to cross it slow and easy. I will step out on a limb and say that 90% of the time the dog will get the job done but there are some conditions where it will have some trouble. Snowmobiles are not particularly great tow vehicles either nor are 4X4 ATVs unless they have chains or tracks. I have watched them all going up the launch ramp and those that hit it with some speed can get all the way up to the parking area. The ATVs with 4 wheels chained make it easy while snowmobiles have to blast up it hard. An RZR that had tracks installed on it could stop half way up and get moving real easy the rest of the way but damn, those tracks alone cost more than a Snowdog. That video shows what would be a simple tow for the dog and no problem at all if he wanted 2 more shanties behind it.

Gam 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #103 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Ok how about deep slush? We have about 8" - 10" of snow with the bottom maybe 5" is water slush under the snow. I almost got stuck in the slush yesterday with my snowmobile towing a sled, luckily I was able to blast my way out of it. When you get stuck in deep slush with a snowmobile you are in trouble, very hard to get out without a tow or maybe 3 other people. I had to walk about a mile and a half once across a lake with snowmobile stuck in deep slush to call friends for help.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Here is a video of the dog in slush.

Because it is far lighter than a snowmobile, it is far easier to get back on top of the snow and out of the slush - but you will probably have to pull the sleds to safety manually.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Feb 28, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Ok how about deep slush? We have about 8" - 10" of snow with the bottom maybe 5" is water slush under the snow. I almost got stuck in the slush yesterday with my snowmobile towing a sled, luckily I was able to blast my way out of it. When you get stuck in deep slush with a snowmobile you are in trouble, very hard to get out without a tow or maybe 3 other people. I had to walk about a mile and a half once across a lake with snowmobile stuck in deep slush to call friends for help.

That's a condition I have not yet been in with my Snowdog. I can tell you this. I don't drive my 4 X 4 4Runner into deep and very slick mud holes simply because I know the results. We can get just about any vehicle stuck in the right conditions and once stuck it sure is a PITA to get them out. I would want a rather tall 4 X 4 ATV with chains all around to drive in the conditions you describe. A tracked 4 X 4 ATV might even be a better option. I suspect the Snowdog would have just as hard a time as your snowmobile in that crappy condition.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:09 AM »
At some point in that video above the driver of the Snowdog got the message that he does not belong there at all so he turned it around and got off that mess. On a snowmobile he would probably be fine as long as he kept up the speed and could remain floating on the top. Once the snowmobile slowed down or tries to make a sharp turn it would be lights out.

Gam

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:59 PM »
One more question...

What or how do you manage your sleds and stuff.

I saw a Youtube where one guy hitched his 2 person Clam sled directly to the Snowdog and sat in the swivel seat turned forward to drive. This eliminates the extra sled of stuff.

I have a few different shanty options that I use, based on the fishing location and if I am with company.

1. I plan to pull my 1-man Clam Blazer behind the Snowdog sled when fishing alone or in the BWCA. I can tow my Blazer to the edge of the BWCA and then trudge it in the rest of the way myself.

2. I have a large 6 person Clam Spearfisher pop-up that I can load in a sled(s) and haul out when I fish in groups. I think that I could get everything in the Snowdog sled and one additional sled.

3. I am planning to get a heavier 2 person Clam on a sled and do something like the Youtube I mentioned above, if I fish on normal lakes outside the BWCA. I think I can get everything in one sled and it would be easy to set up and move.

Sound reasonable?
Go for it. The thing is supposed to be able to pull 600 lbs.I have pulled various sleds in a train many a time. I have no regrets buying mine. I just hope that as time goes on, and things wear out, parts availability won't be an issue.

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a 13hp compact back in November and have only used it snow. It’s really an awesome machine and does the job for getting to spots on the ice perfectly. Now it’s march and the snow on the lakes are starting to get down to bare glare ice. I didn’t get the studded track. I saw a video of some guy who did some modifications and added studs to his track. So bought some studs but I really don’t know how to get to the track. I can only install studs on the paddles on the front and back, meaning 99.9% of the track is inaccessible. Gam, I read your review and it gave me some peace of mind knowing it will still go on glare ice but I just want a little extra grip.

Any of you fellas have suggestions for installing studs on the rest of the track?
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a 13hp compact back in November and have only used it snow. It’s really an awesome machine and does the job for getting to spots on the ice perfectly. Now it’s march and the snow on the lakes are starting to get down to bare glare ice. I didn’t get the studded track. I saw a video of some guy who did some modifications and added studs to his track. So bought some studs but I really don’t know how to get to the track. I can only install studs on the paddles on the front and back, meaning 99.9% of the track is inaccessible. Gam, I read your review and it gave me some peace of mind knowing it will still go on glare ice but I just want a little extra grip.

Any of you fellas have suggestions for installing studs on the rest of the track?

By Studs, I hope you mean Ice Screws! It was a simple job but you have to raise the track an inch off the floor so you can roll the track to each of the cross paddles. I stuck a pipe through the track frame in the front and raised it up a few inches on 4 X 4 s. I used my floor jack in the rear on the sled hook and jacked it up after I removed the rear rubber flap. The entire process took about a half hour and I staggered the screws, 3 in one paddle, each side and the middle and then 2 in the next paddle either side of the middle. The dog will go just fine on ice without screw studs but if you want to pull a load they sure will make a world of difference. I believe that Snowdog does not recommend the real snowmobile stud bolt spikes for our tracks, just screws and the track has molded round spots where the screws go. A pack of 150-200 screws will leave you extras and you can use 1/2" or 3/4".

Gam

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Mar 04, 2018, 01:25 PM »
By studs, I mean these things

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Mar 04, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Thank you very much Gam for the help and information!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Mar 04, 2018, 01:46 PM »
By studs, I mean these things

Those are Ice Screws and just a different brand than the ones I like. Google Kold Cutter ice screws.

Gam

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Mar 04, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Those kold kutters look they like they have a lot more balls than the ones I got. If I didn’t already have $50 invested in my screws I’d probably go with the kold kutters

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Mar 04, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Love to read about the sleds. Great to see guys are seeing the light

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:28 PM »

You should love to hear about these sleds. You started it! ;D

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I take that as a compliment, thank you

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:19 AM »
I take that as a compliment, thank you

It sure was meant as a compliment. I saw your creations here maybe a couple years ago and liked the concept. When I saw them marketed commercially I knew from your reports that I had to have one. I don't need any more ATVs, UTVs or snowmobiles that take up way too much room in both my truck and the shed plus all the BS fees and registration from the state and the liability insurance we must have on them. All I need is a tool that pulls and not another toy. Thumbs up MB!

Gam

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:54 AM »

I’ve had my eye on one of these things for 2 years now and I finally had some extra cash kicking around so I made the leap. I’ve been limited in my fishing locations for years and I’ve been wanting to explore more spots. Some people say I’m crazy and I should’ve got a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile. But I don’t need anything fast or flashy. Just a tool, like Gam said, to get me from A to B. And it fits in the pickup bed. No trailer needed. All I need is an aluminum ramp and I can explore wherever I want

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #119 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:06 AM »
I'm going to try and save up the money for one this summer.i like others have all the other toys, being atv and snowmobile but I need a workhorse that doesn't take up all the room in my truck bed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.