Author Topic: Ice Safety- A CHILLING reminder  (Read 2331 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Ice Safety- A CHILLING reminder
« on: Nov 03, 2021, 04:36 PM »
Before we all got out on first ice this year, I wanted to put this short video out. It was a little bit of a freak deal, but it could’ve ended very badly and really, I think these freak deals are what we all need to be prepared for. The obvious stuff isn’t what gets us.

Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Safety- A CHILLING reminder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2021, 04:43 PM »

Not always a great idea to go out on first ice in the dark , thanks for posting glad all are safe

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2021, 05:20 PM »
It wasn’t first ice. We had been fishing that for almost a month….
Trent Williams

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Thanks for posting with the very clear example of a trap. I'm still relatively new to ice fishing and appreciate the reminder along with the visual aid.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Great reminder. Over the last couple years in my area, especially last year, there are a lot of new ice anglers. It seems many are clueless to the hazards. Even some of the more experienced run into problems from time to time. If you look at the sask forum here, there was a truck that went through a lake that still had over 3' of ice. It was a freak accident and the hazard was unknown.  Thanks for the post.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:01 PM »
You bet guys. I hope everybody can learn something from it!
Trent Williams

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:24 PM »
I watched your video the other day and what a wake up call for sure be safe out there everyone because we all have a family to go back home to.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:39 PM »
Good video and reminder Trent. I won't forget that last trip up there for us last season. Seen a lot of what you guys seen and a few of these by Sunday and it was mostly Iced over on Friday up to 8-10in

This was the only cool part of any of that

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Yep, awesome reminder for everyone. I think everyone here is probably guilty of pushing the limits at least once or twice. Part of being a part of a "community" of like-minded ice-fanatics includes a duty to remind each other to stay safe and not become complacent....particul arly as we introduce the newbies out there. Like it or not, with the increased number of newbies, there are many that look to the other ice fishermen around them for examples, good or bad. If they see someone out there will all of their "advanced" gear and cool toys they may assume "Hey...those guys must know what they are doing...it must be OK." Let's all commit to being willing to speak up (politely of course) if we see our fellow ice fishermen doing something un-safe. We may get some looks, or some choice words shot back at us, but I'd rather deal with that than having to hear about a serious incident or fatality in the news the next day.

Tight lines...and dry pants....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2021, 07:04 AM »
It’s amazing how quick ice can change. Especially when you throw in high winds and, in this case, the Gorge’s fickle ways!

About time to start planning trips 😁
Trent Williams

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Thanks Trent, that is so good to get a heads up... I'm complacent after the ice gets over 6" I don't check like I should... And the gorge is scary juju ice... Last year we camped on the ice with 10-12" of ice and had a big wind storm all night... Woke up in the morning with 3" of water on the floor in my tent, looked outside and Joe's gear tent had sagged over night as well and he had 10" of water in that tent... I guess the wind buckled and bent the ice so some areas were high spots and other areas were low and if you had a hole to fish the water would flow out or leave a gap of air at the top... wind and ice do some strange things, good to be aware of that and be prepared...  Thanks Later J

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2021, 04:10 PM »
Thanks Trent, that is so good to get a heads up... I'm complacent after the ice gets over 6" I don't check like I should... And the gorge is scary juju ice... Last year we camped on the ice with 10-12" of ice and had a big wind storm all night... Woke up in the morning with 3" of water on the floor in my tent, looked outside and Joe's gear tent had sagged over night as well and he had 10" of water in that tent... I guess the wind buckled and bent the ice so some areas were high spots and other areas were low and if you had a hole to fish the water would flow out or leave a gap of air at the top... wind and ice do some strange things, good to be aware of that and be prepared...  Thanks Later J

I remember hearing of and watching that trip on YouTube  ;D .Some crazy stuff definitely happens out there, and for seemingly no reason at all. The bad part is a lot of these western reservoirs are the same way. They all have warm springs, they all have current, and most do them have wind!

I’m complacent too. I think we all are and sometimes there’s no need to be TOO crazy cautious. But when the slightest thing changes, you can bet I’ll be checking the ice!
Trent Williams

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Hey Trent are you looking at the Henry’s trip this year?  I guess I’ve got a family wedding the first weekend, but if it bumps to the second weekend, I’ll be there. Might go up early if it happens on first weekend. If not I hope to see ya on a gorge trip. Looking forward to a fun ice season. Got ice on my pond this morning, first this year so I hope that’s a sign of things to come. Later Jeff

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Yes I am but don’t know if I’ll make it with the group. I’m either going the 11-13 or 18-20. Weather pending on both weekends of course!
Trent Williams

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Sounds good, if you do the 11th and the crew moves later by a weekend we may overlap a bit.. If so you'll have to show us how to do it again this year... Good luck on getting there... and I'm kind of hoping for the bump to that 11th weekend myself... Later Jeff

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2021, 10:40 AM »
I just restocked in baits that worked last year! It’s definitely an odd fishery. Seemed like what worked on day 1 didn’t work on day 2. I had to downsize big time and couldn’t get a bite in bigger stuff while my dad stayed with bigger stuff and caught fish all day. It was a great time! We also plan on keeping a few for an on ice fish fry…but we won’t count our chickens before they’re hatched!!
Trent Williams

Offline Hookn7654

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:24 PM »
Great post, I am new to ice fishing and just learned about a spud bar. I need to get me one.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Great post, I am new to ice fishing and just learned about a spud bar. I need to get me one.

I have been telling myself the same thing for a few years now.  Finally picked up this one at Sportsmans Warehouse in Riverdale yesterday for $35.  May not be the best one but it is better than not having one.  Now I just need to get out and use it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2021, 11:59 PM »
Nice addition to the safety side Bryce. Haven't seen one of those myself, how much does it weigh?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2021, 05:58 AM »
6 pounds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.