Author Topic: New to walleye fishing  (Read 2657 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
New to walleye fishing
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Any info possible about walleye fishing, o ya i live in Michiagn if that helps.  Please instant message me. ;D
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
Re: New to walleye fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:51 PM »
what part upper or lower... i knoe in the lower a good place is the grand river  and lake erie is also a good spot and muskegon idk much about the upper

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re:New to walleye fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:37 PM »
I live in Colorado, but I can give you some tactics that should work for walleyes through the ice, they sure work for me.
First of all, walleyes are most active, especially through the ice, at the twilight periods surrounding sunset and sunrise. Fishing is much slower during the day, so sometimes it pays to target different kinds of fish during the daytime.
I would fish the same rocky structure you fish in open water. The rip rap around dams, sunken rock reefs and humps, gravel bars, off points, and steep dropping bluff banks. Concentrate on depths of 10 - 25 feet during these periods, sometimes deeper, sometimes shallower.
A flasher is an absolute must. You need to be able to know what the depth is and see your lure and the fish.
I would use two lines, one a tipup baited with a small live minnow, and the second line should be a jigging setup. Jigging rapalas are by far the best. Tip these with a small minnow head. If the rapala doesn't work, I would use a small jig tipped with a live minnow. Usually jigging will outproduce tip ups 3 to 1.
Start out jigging within a foot or two of the bottom, checking your sonar for fish in other depths. Don't assume a fish 10 feet or more off the bottom isn't a walleye. They are in other depths besides the bottom two feet, depending on where the baitfish are.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline mpmoto

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:New to walleye fishing
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I live in Colorado, but I can give you some tactics that should work for walleyes through the ice, they sure work for me.
First of all, walleyes are most active, especially through the ice, at the twilight periods surrounding sunset and sunrise. Fishing is much slower during the day, so sometimes it pays to target different kinds of fish during the daytime.
I would fish the same rocky structure you fish in open water. The rip rap around dams, sunken rock reefs and humps, gravel bars, off points, and steep dropping bluff banks. Concentrate on depths of 10 - 25 feet during these periods, sometimes deeper, sometimes shallower.
A flasher is an absolute must. You need to be able to know what the depth is and see your lure and the fish.
I would use two lines, one a tipup baited with a small live minnow, and the second line should be a jigging setup. Jigging rapalas are by far the best. Tip these with a small minnow head. If the rapala doesn't work, I would use a small jig tipped with a live minnow. Usually jigging will outproduce tip ups 3 to 1.
Start out jigging within a foot or two of the bottom, checking your sonar for fish in other depths. Don't assume a fish 10 feet or more off the bottom isn't a walleye. They are in other depths besides the bottom two feet, depending on where the baitfish are.

Can you please elaborate on the use of flasher when fishing for walleye on tip-ups or jigging. Also what type and color of rapalas do you use for for walleye fishing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.