Author Topic: Waterproof braid?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waterproof braid?
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Two years ago there was talk of a truly waterproof braid line that would not freeze while fishing in sub-zero temperature.  Haven't heard or seen anything since then.

Anyone know any more about that?

Thanks,
Ted

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Waterproof braid?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2018, 07:41 PM »
I have waterproof tested braid for ice fishing.  The problem with braid is that there would be air bubbles.  That may be picked up on that flasher sonar and ruin it.  Even when I tried it with Fireline.

If anything right now, there's silicon treated braids and also teflon treated braids for water proofing them.  I used those in past for open water fishing and water proofing is gone after one day of use.  I haven't seen and ice line version so have never tested them for ice fishing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:33 AM »
The age old ice fishing question. Mono,fluoro and braid/fused line really don't absorb much by way of water so are, IMO, kinda "waterproof". The problem is really the water that adheres to the surface of the line that ices guides. I've used silicone fly line dressing with some success. It has some smell but really hasn't seemed to be a detriment but I have not used it extensively. It also requires frequent re-application to be effective.

A couple years age Rustoleum came out with a product called NeverWet. Pretty remarkable stuff, see some of the here: http://www.neverwet.com/. It's almost unreal. I have not tried this but my questions would be:

1. Does it stink and will it/can it go away? It does have processed petroleum products and mineral spirits so must have some kind of smell, at least when applied. The MSDS is available on the website.

2. Can the solvents in the carrier for application damage my line? Polyethylene (any braid/fused superline) is pretty tough stuff so I'm fairly sure no on that. But what about other line plastics, mono or fluoro?

3. How durable is it? Would it last an entire season of at least moderate use? Or is frequent reapplication necessary?

Price wise it's pretty reasonable, about $15 for an 11 oz. spray bottle. Easy to buy too, Grainger, Home Depot and Amazon all stock it. I haven't thought about this for a while so I'll likely wind up with a bottle to try on stuff this year. What about other applications? Ice shacks benefit both outside and inside. Might be the poormans answer to condensation accumulation. Cloth tipup flags would never freeze down. Boots and outerwear would never get soaked. Yep, I gotta get some now... Probably try it on all kinds of lines too just because I'm curious.

Or maybe one of you has already gone there.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:12 AM »
The age old ice fishing question. Mono,fluoro and braid/fused line really don't absorb much by way of water so are, IMO, kinda "waterproof". The problem is really the water that adheres to the surface of the line that ices guides. I've used silicone fly line dressing with some success. It has some smell but really hasn't seemed to be a detriment but I have not used it extensively. It also requires frequent re-application to be effective.

A couple years age Rustoleum came out with a product called NeverWet. Pretty remarkable stuff, see some of the here: http://www.neverwet.com/. It's almost unreal. I have not tried this but my questions would be:

1. Does it stink and will it/can it go away? It does have processed petroleum products and mineral spirits so must have some kind of smell, at least when applied. The MSDS is available on the website.

2. Can the solvents in the carrier for application damage my line? Polyethylene (any braid/fused superline) is pretty tough stuff so I'm fairly sure no on that. But what about other line plastics, mono or fluoro?

3. How durable is it? Would it last an entire season of at least moderate use? Or is frequent reapplication necessary?

Price wise it's pretty reasonable, about $15 for an 11 oz. spray bottle. Easy to buy too, Grainger, Home Depot and Amazon all stock it. I haven't thought about this for a while so I'll likely wind up with a bottle to try on stuff this year. What about other applications? Ice shacks benefit both outside and inside. Might be the poormans answer to condensation accumulation. Cloth tipup flags would never freeze down. Boots and outerwear would never get soaked. Yep, I gotta get some now... Probably try it on all kinds of lines too just because I'm curious.

Or maybe one of you has already gone there.

Neverwet turns stuff white and has a texture to it. It also wears off. I coated kayak paddle blades in it and while it's cool, it's not as amazing as they'd have you think.  I don't think it'd be flexible enough to use on line.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Thanks for the firsthand feedback kayl.  :thumbsup: I'm guessing you used the "multi-surface" formulation which does dry "frosted clear" and seems to be intended for non-flexing items like your kayak paddles. I'll also guess your experiment was probably a while back, perhaps shortly after this product was introduced (2012-13).

The formulations that might be of use in this application would be either the fabric or boot/shoe offerings. By nature they would have to be at least moderately flexible and are billed as being "crystal clear non-silicone". Again, I don't know anything, just supposing. I do know that newly introduced products are often fine tuned on the fly and maybe being five years into production that they may be more effective.

I am still skeptical though, like so many other things that seem too good to be true, I keep my expectations low. I've spent $15 in worse ways...  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Firstly, thanks for that link exox!  I'm going to try the fabric spray on my pontoon cover.  That should be a very good test to see how well it works and how well (long) it holds up.

I'm guessing the fabric used to make my Polar Bird 3T was treated (dipped & dryed) with something like this during production.  Water is repelled off the fabric like the fabric had been waxed with car wax.  Remember the video posted by Evan Pheneger when he was hosing down his Polar Bird for a half an hour to show off the water repellency.  It really does work like that.  I stay bone dry even running the heater in blizzard like conditions.

If this spray works similarly, it will be awesome stuff.

DN   
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.