Author Topic: Otter pro cabin  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter pro cabin
« on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Anyone have this portable? If so, how do you like it? Do you ever pull it by hand? I'm looking at this for next year but there are times where I may have to pull it by hand? I will be fishing alone mostly but on occasion I will have another person with me. Any advice on this portable would be appreciated! Thank you!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Otter pro cabin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I have the Cabin Thermal. I love it! :thumbsup:

I don't pull it by hand, but have no doubt, it wouldn't be too bad. The tub with the rails under it slides very easily. Not sure who still has one in stock but you should be able to find a good deal on one this time of year, if you could financially swing it.

The Thermal is the way to go if you can.

WS

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2013, 06:44 PM »
That's good to hear! Unfortunately I won't be buying it until next year. Can't afford it right now. I wish I could because like you said right now is a time to get a deal on one.

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I pulled mine by hand Tuesday of this week about 150 yards.  I would not want to do this too often as it was a pain in the arse.  I had the marcum, Ion auger, shovel, and a couple of othyer essentials in the tub.  It took two us and we stopped a couple of times on the way out, and a couple on the way back.

Should have brought my smitty sled but I left it at home.

I pulled it early season when there was jut ice and a little snow.  It ws no problem then.  As soon as there was some snow on the ice, difficult to do.

I'm hearing there may be some changes to the Otter's next year.  Good thing to wait.

Mark W

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Mark, how much snow were you pulling through? Have you heard of what kind of changes?

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2013, 01:11 PM »
While the snow was relatively deep, the sled was not punching through it much, if any, at all.  It was riding on top with the runners punching through a little bit.  The snow was also crusty on top so while the sled went on top, we would occassionally punch through and have snow/ice that was 5-6" deep or so.   This was the hard part.

I'm 53 and my buddy helping get the sled on the spot is also 53.  We are in average shape.  If there was any snow to pull this sled through, I'd be hard pressed to do it myself.  I had a Trekker DLX before this and while only a little lighter, it seemed to pull easier.

Just to complete the story - I do love this shack.  Big enough for two and very comfortable for 1.  I can also get it in and out of my Jeep solo which was key for me.

As far as changes, only cosmetic type stuff, nothing major.  Only heard a rumor so who knows.

Mark

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Thanks mark! The trekker dlx was the other shack I was looking at. I like the idea of getting the otter though. I am 25 years old but a rather small guy. Looks like ill be using the majority ofte summer deciding between the frabill and the otter.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I have the new lodge and I pull it by hand easily on glare ice, and a smithy sled for snow. The only drawback to a big setup is loading and unloading in your truck. I bought a $70 electric winch, and solved that issue. I believe the lodge is perfect as a one man, but two can fish it pretty good. I wouldn't want to go any smaller then the lodge for two people.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:42 AM »
I have the new lodge and I pull it by hand easily on glare ice, and a smithy sled for snow. The only drawback to a big setup is loading and unloading in your truck. I bought a $70 electric winch, and solved that issue. I believe the lodge is perfect as a one man, but two can fish it pretty good. I wouldn't want to go any smaller then the lodge for two people.

can you expand further on how you use an electric winch to get your shack into you vehicle?  You have a pick up or something else?  While I can get my shack in by myself, there has got to be an easier way todo so.

Mark

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:57 AM »
$30 for the boards and ramp kit at Lowes, and $70 for the winch w free shipping and no sales tax on Amazon. It sure makes no work out of loading and unloading my lodge. I leave my auger in the tub, loaded w gear, so there's no wasted time and work involved in loading and unloading the sled. Tailgate just closes on my Chevy shortbox extended cab pickup, with sled loaded.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I've got an older Otter sled and cabin, I thinks it's the magnum. It's a big sucker and weighs around 90# empty. I pile it full of stuff, no, I mean really full. Power auger, tipups, rods/reels, bait bucket, spud, locator, camera, food, drink, maybe a grill and charcoal, a heater. Oh, and a lawn chair ;D

And that's just my stuff. If you come along there's room for most of yours too..........

I'm 58 and pull it myself most of the time. I have a "poor man's" harness which makes the job much easier and I wax the bottom to keep snow from building up in the front. After mousing on here, I'll likely build a "Smitty" option for next season.

Retirement should bring some sort of ice transportation; either an ATV or sled. That's the plan. I bought into the size 'cause I got a deal I couldn't pass up.

ASATMillerbluegill: I like the winch idea.......I may steal that! Oh yeah, I used to have family down in Story City........... Glad you like IA, I moved from there to what I call "God's Country"  ;)

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Some of my best buddies are from Story city area.:-)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:31 AM »
Good idea on the winch!

WS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Thanks fellas :)

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Sorry, been away for awhile.  Thanks for the pictures of the winch set up with the ramps.  Great idea.  Unfortunately I got rid of my pick up and went to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  No place to mount a winch.  I have to find a way to get this shed into the back of the Jeep.  While I can do it now, I know I won't be doing it forever this way.

Mark

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2013, 06:42 AM »
I have two Otters a Lodge, and a Cabin, They pull tough through deep snow as does most sleds, Smitty Sled is the way to go. On the glare ice no problem. I load both of them into my truck myself. ATV ramp or a couple of planks work just fine. Best shelter on the market. IMO tough, roomy, warm, you can't go wrong with a Otter.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.