Author Topic: Yamaha Bravo dies, fisherman walks  (Read 2169 times)

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
Yamaha Bravo dies, fisherman walks
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:26 AM »
I just picked up a 2011 Bravo with 500 kms on it. My first sled, bought just for fishing. Until last week I hadn't been on a sled for forty years.

It started and ran fine for a couple days. I went 12 kms down the lake and when I went to leave it would start and idle but stalled as soon as it got moving. I bought this model because it is something I can work on myself and shouldn't leave me stranded.

I gassed it up before I left so "bad gas" is a possibility. In fact I personally have been known to experience the condition. In the morning I'll give it another try. I added some de-icer to both tanks.

I'll give it a try in the morning. It has spark but the plug was wet and a little fouled. I'm on the steep part of the learning curve here and antsy to get out. The machine came home 4 days ago, my flasher a week and a half ago, and my auger is new this season. I would appreciate any help getting going, we have mild weather forcast for the next week and I want to be fishing, not fixing. Thanks.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Yamaha Bravo dies, fisherman walks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:13 AM »
add a good shot of seafoam in the tank. Pull the plug, drip some fresh gas in there. I second bad gas. If you can get it running, a heavy dose of seafoam should clean out the varnish.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Wow, I had to look that up! I didn't know they still made the Bravo! Good luck with your machine.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:52 AM »
They are mainly sold in Canada. A few come to the states every year though.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:05 AM »
Stopped making them this year. Tooling and machinery too outdated.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:11 AM »
My father bought a new Bravo a month ago.

Here`s my thoughts, if the plug is wet, flooding may be an issue.

On the left side of the handle bars, near the key, there is a little toggle switch that acts as your choke. Once the machine is running, make sure that its flicked back up towards the windshield, that was part of my learning curve with it, as I didn`t realize it was the choke until I had flooded the machine.

Over priming may be something to look into as well. When I do a cold start, I choke it, prime 3 times and pull with my thumb on the throttle just a bit.

Sometimes, Seafoam can`t solve everything.

Good luck.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2012, 03:45 PM »
he sent me a pm... it was bad gas. seafoam and a fresh plug did the trick.

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:48 AM »
As per greenbackhunter's reply the Bravo did take off the next morning and ran all day. With infinite confidence I was off down the lake at first light the next day and ..... due to certain difficulties with the aforementioned piece of ____ I got home a little late. So it's off to the big city of Whitehorse tomorrow for plugs, filters, synthetic injector oil, premium gas, a shop manual and anything else I can think of. I also got blanked in the fishing too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.