Author Topic: Lookin to buy a nice rod reel system for panfishing  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lookin to buy a nice rod reel system for panfishing
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:36 AM »
hi all, looking to buy myself a nice rod reel combo for panfishing. Im thinking an ultralight rod of this brand

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10210965?cm_mmc=bizrate-_-100-2-5-_--1-_-38-952-534-00&hvarAID=bizrate&mr:referralID=4b9ce0cc-dd04-11de-9b2c-000423bb4e79

but wondering if anyone has any opinions on any other rod reel setups or just your own 2 cents on the subject

Thanks all

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lookin to buy a nice rod reel system for panfishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:46 AM »
i own 2 frabill bro series 26" light action combos. these are great for panfish and even smaller eyes. good luck and tight lines!!!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I use to buy the genz stix rods befor they became the "clam" series this season and I liked them. The reels on the other hand where not good.

For panfish I recomend a Jason Mitchell meatstick, a frabill quicktip or frabill panfish popper. For reels I buy Tuca Cetus.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:25 PM »
I would reccomend anything in the frabill line up as well. I have the bro series, sensitive and panfish poppers. They have the nicest bends of any of the 'off the rack' rods out there. Nice parabolic bends. The reels are very good aswell. Fine adjustment and low start up inertia. They also have great antireverse, this is the most important part to me. The line roller is OK but for what you are paying, the frabill rods are money.

For perch, the I have only fished the panfish popper so far (just got the bro series this fall) but from what I can tell it is the same blank as the 26" light action panfish popper with a thinner tip section added. For perch you cannot beat a 26" panfish popper, love the bend.

Offline Fat_C

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I would have to agree too, if you are looking for something good for the money, I would go with the panfish popper. I have an older one, like maybe 5 yrs or so. I love that one better than the new ones but the new ones are good too. They are around $25 by me, and those True blue are like $40, I think you can get a lot better combo for $40. Anything I have bought less than $25-30 for a combo off the rack, I have been really disappointed with. Seen a lot of changes so far this year, little ones but just play with them. Lots of junk out there.

Colt

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I have a couple of the Panfish Poppers that I bought two years ago and am very happy with them.  I did remove the "Bic Lighter" spring bobbers that come with them, as they tend to freeze easily.  The reel that comes with them is pretty smooth and I have been very happy with the performance so far.  I replaced the spring bobbers with a couple of bite indicators from Bass Pro.  I'm past ready to try them out.

-Jeff

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:48 PM »
check out the bro series combo's there in the same price range as what your looking to spend and i think the reels are some of the best combo reels i have ever seen! smooth drag, nice feeling, and super light! i would recommend one of the quick tips
EK

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:23 PM »
All great recommendations.  I have three Tica Cetus SB500 reels and they are very good and not very expensive.  Yoby, I also like "old school" rods and reels for panfishing.  If I am fishing in less than 20 foot of water, I enjoy using Schooley Arctic Blue rods and Schooley plastic reels.  You get very little line twist and memory issues with this set up.  I buy Panfish Popper spring bobbers, pull them out of the plastic holder and then use shrink tubing ( the type that shrinks with heat) to affix the spring bobber to the rod.  One of my buddies turned me on to this setup and I love it.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:23 AM »
thanks for all the input guys, im thinkin im goin with the st croix legends rod but will now need a somewhat cheap UL reel ???

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:43 AM »
shimano ax-uls....usually around $19 with a really nice drag.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:55 AM »
thanks for all the input guys, im thinkin im goin with the st croix legends rod but will now need a somewhat cheap UL reel ???

Tica LF500, around $25 and is just as smooth with just as good of a drag as the $50 Ticas.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Tica LF500, around $25 and is just as smooth with just as good of a drag as the $50 Ticas.

just used the lf500 for the first time today, and it works great

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I just got a GM Tournament Series Super Ultralight.  I really love that rod.  Soft glass tip and a carbon backbone for hook set.  A crappie minnow will bounce the tip an inch just swimming!  First day out caught 50 perch, 25 crappie, 1 gill and 1 northern (4 lbs) on this little rod.  I love it!  Down to a 3" perch will show a bite, and not spook off the fish by feeling the rod.  No more bobbers, spring bobbers, or floats of any kind for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.