Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: tips tricks and things that work  (Read 4595 times)

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
tips tricks and things that work
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:33 PM »
well i know you all dont want to give up your tricks  but   lets see what happens 

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tips tricks and things that work
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:34 PM »
 with most of these guys you have a better chance of seeing jesus  :angel

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:35 PM »
lol     or  the bottom  of a beer can

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:39 PM »
i use a auto gigging pole   and that works good for me

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:43 PM »
 i tried a buzz stik i didn't like it

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:47 PM »
we had 3   2 man set up sunday    i was useing waxworms     the other was useing   minnoes   and i out fished them    the gigging pole   paid off     still had one  setting  that i did not use   but the yellows love it

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:17 PM »
heres something that has worked for me in the past.  when im fishing for crappies and they dont wanna hit jigs or minnows i will grab my trusty swedish pimple and use just a minnow head on a straight hook and jig up slow and let it fall fast.  then jig up slow again.  usually the fish will hit on the way up so watch your tip.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Take some non-flavored alka seltzer tablets and dip them in warm/hot wax only leaving a small exposed portion (like where your fingers were).  The wax will slow the dissolve rate of the tablet.  Make sure to use soy wax so it will dissolve and will not be toxic to the water or harmful to the fish.  Drop one in your hole let it sink and wait.  The fish seem to be attracted to the bubbles and I have witnessed it bringing fish into the area.  The ice on the lake lowers the oxygen level in the water which makes the fish attracted to the bubbles.  This is my conclusion.  Real simple, Real cheap.   ;)

2nd tip:  By a Vexlar!    ;D
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:26 AM »
just read a great one on the Basspro site....not making this up...."make sure you don't buy a scoop thats bigger than the diameter of your auger!!!"  :laugh: .....Hello? is this thing on????

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Be careful where you walk when someone has been using a 10" auger .
Note: 13" long boots can fit down a 10" hole ... :embarassed:

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:03 AM »
LOL!  Been there!  I actually saw a guy cutting a long hole with a chain saw one time.  He said it was so he could walk back in forth.  I told him he was a freakin' idiot and said you might want to put some cones around it.  Not to mention it is ilegal.  He got all shi#ty with me and told me to take a hike.  I still wish I would have pushed him in that 6 foot by 2 foot hole (grave).   Some poeple  ::) 

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I know we are having fun with this thread but I would like to say "Iowa fishermen are a friendly bunch and it's not uncommon for many shacks and fishermen to share a fairly small piece of ice and a technique . I have never had problems with other Iowa fishermen while on the ice. There are some that may be obnoxious , but we are a sharing group here in Iowa."

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Toothfish, I've lived in Iowa 32 years and just to moved to Arkansas less than a year ago.  I agree that we Iowa people are some of the most friendly people in the U.S. especially on the ice. The point of my post was, I was trying to tell the guy that what he was doing was dangerous (in a nice friendly way) and was trying to watch out for my fellow Iowans/Icers and he got an attitude with me pointing his finger and telling me to go to hel#.   As a Christian I would never push somebody into an icy lake but he sure tested my limits.   I called the DNR about it thinking maybe they would go out and mark it for safety reasons.  Don't know what ever happened.  I got in my truck and left.  BTW it was at Silver Lake in northern Iowa 2 years ago.  Iowa will always be my home and I hope to move back in 5-7 years.  I appoligize if I offended anybody just wanted to share my story.  I was saying "grave" because the next guy might not have seen the hole and could have died because of him.   :o             

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I must admit I didn't really post in response to your post. Sorry about it appearing like my post was somehow belittling your post. I was trying in my feeble way of saying "Iowa fishermen WILL share tips, tricks and things that work , where as some states seem to have an attitude... " ;D

Sorry for the mix up !!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:47 PM »
well if i go to the store  and the cops show up  just because i am buying   the tablets      lol   every thing is used for that damm  meth      just is not safe  to go to the store any more

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:48 PM »
hey guys about the iowa icers being the friendliest group ever id have to agree with very few exceptions.  i was fishing at pleasant creek in palo once when i lived in cedar rapids and this goof ball got pissed that i set up probally 50 ft away.  its 50 ft!!!  it would of been different had i set up like 5 or 10 feet away but he seemed to think he owned that spot or something.  now we were fishing an old road bed with a pallet pile on it and he was on top of it so i figured id set up away from him and try to jig some in any ways.  he yelled out if we were in boats id slap a bell weight right up your head.  me being young and cocky i told him your fishing vertical genious dont think im gonna be crossing your lines when i cast.  he got all huffy and left.  good ridins i say.  

Offline tazzzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:19 PM »
   lol I love the auger and spoon same size ..But I'm going to say I'm one of the obnoxious guys out on the ice . when the fish an't bite for a while I like to get up and walk around ,and say hi to others out there .. I don't care what your using or how many you got so far .. just like to chat ..guy on ice I think are a special group of guys and women that are willing to brave the cold on ice to enjoy fishing ..and I have meet a lot of nice people out there,some I meet from time to time and others only once . so if I stop to say hi ,,I'm not spying  ;D

Offline buffettphan606

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Here is a tip if you get snagged up on a sunken treebranch or something, take your clamp on  lead depth finder and put it around your line, make your line limp and drop it in. We kept getting hung up at brushy and i did that to get loose, it works!...............bphan

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:50 PM »
another trick which is similar to the alka selzer trick would be to buy the little blue tabs you can put in your minnow bucket for oxygen.  they work well for luring fish in too.  i use to drop them down my hole at night and my succes rate went up tremendisly.  the only down fall is that it messes with the vexilar cuz it pics up the bubbles.  it really works though.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:43 AM »
I have been using some small hair jigs this year. (THE Jig) I have found when tipped with a waxy the fish can not steal the bait as easy and many times another competitive fish will hit the hair after the waxy has been taken.
Also... It needs no bait when the fish become aggressive and will out fish baited jigs when the Crappie are on a tear .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:34 AM »
yes i use a jig  like that and yes it works verry well

Offline JC Walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Take some non-flavored alka seltzer tablets and dip them in warm/hot wax only leaving a small exposed portion (like where your fingers were).  The wax will slow the dissolve rate of the tablet.  Make sure to use soy wax so it will dissolve and will not be toxic to the water or harmful to the fish.  Drop one in your hole let it sink and wait.  The fish seem to be attracted to the bubbles and I have witnessed it bringing fish into the area.  The ice on the lake lowers the oxygen level in the water which makes the fish attracted to the bubbles.  This is my conclusion.  Real simple, Real cheap.   ;)

2nd tip:  By a Vexlar!    ;D

I can't be believe it! It actually works! Not even marking a fish today I did the ol' alka seltzer wax trick. I had both poles going. One with a wax worm had a Gill and the other with a minnow had a crappie. As soon as the bubbles were gone so were the fish. I couldn't mark any fish on my Marcum do to all the bubbles. I just waited and they hit. Great tip!

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Best trick for light hitting fish is a small spring on the end of the rod. Caught a nice number of crappies at Crawford Creek yesterday and would not have caught one without the spring.
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline funk380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2008, 01:06 AM »
I am no pro with my vexilar but here is something i have noticed. when you see the green flashes , jig above them quite a bit the fish seem to be higher than the flashes. It has worked for me allot when night fishing.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:58 AM »
microlight wire spring bobbers have been the most important thing for me this year. it seemed  the fine wire instead of the corkscrew spring was by far, more effective for snap hook sets on light biters.... 
Hard charger !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.