Author Topic: Repairing Ice Rod Tips  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Repairing Ice Rod Tips
« on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:12 AM »
So far this season, I have had 4 ice rods break their tips during transport.  I keep them in either golf club tubes, or in my Strikemaster Ice Bag with the built in rod pockets.  I think they are breaking because the rods are rigged up with lures on the when I slide them into the tube the line bends the rod too much and breaks the tip.  I am going to stop doing that.....
Meanwhile, I have a few rods that are great little rods, but pretty useless.  How should I go about repairing these tips, or is it not worth trying?  One is a tickle stick, so that’s trash, but the other is a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick that never even got one use.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Repairing Ice Rod Tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:25 AM »
The Clam Pouch may help in the future

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/tackle-pouches.html#163=
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:40 AM »
The Clam Pouch may help in the future

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/tackle-pouches.html#163=

Yes, I have those, great little things.  They do help prevent tangles.

I’m not sure why the tips keep breaking, although these are all on very light tip rods, so delicate and fragile.  I used a Clam rod locker for years and slipped rods into a golf tube.  Worked very well, I did lose fewer rods than with the Striker Ice Transporter. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:01 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:36 AM »
I fixed a tickle stick that had the flat tip snapped with epoxy and then just sanded it down.  3 years later and it's going strong.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Thanks Hardwater, I actually was shown that rod wrapping tip by a lady Bass Pro we hosted at our hotel several years ago.  Works great on long freshwater rods, not so much on noodlelly little ice rods.   I am going to try some pipe insulation too.

ran7ger, thanks for that tip, I’ll give it a try.  It wasn’t a clean break, more like a delamination splinter so the epoxy idea will probably work. 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:54 AM »
So far this season, I have had 4 ice rods break their tips during transport.  I keep them in either golf club tubes, or in my Strikemaster Ice Bag with the built in rod pockets.  I think they are breaking because the rods are rigged up with lures on the when I slide them into the tube the line bends the rod too much and breaks the tip.  I am going to stop doing that.....
Meanwhile, I have a few rods that are great little rods, but pretty useless.  How should I go about repairing these tips, or is it not worth trying?  One is a tickle stick, so that’s trash, but the other is a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick that never even got one use.

I broke a few rod tips before I purchased the Striker Ice "Transporter" rod and tackle case.  It's big and bulky, but it carries five rods and all my gear safely.  It is necessary to add some slack to my spinning rod set-ups when inserting them into the rod tubes in the case.

I've repaired the tips on several rods of all types over the years.  If there is just a inch or two missing, a replacement tip-top guide will do the trick.  Measure the diameter of the remaining rod tip and buy the appropriate sized tip-top.  They install easily with some hot-melt glue.  If the rod is splintered where it broke, cut it back to where it's fairly solid with a Dremel and cut-off wheel.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Thanks Bob, it is only an inch or so.  I’m not sure how I can measure the tips, I don’t have anything that has markings less than 1/64”.  I will probably just get an assortment of tiny ice rod tips from Jann’s Netcraft and do it by trial and error.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:03 AM »
Otto, I likewise have used the golf tubes to protect my ice rods over the last ten or more years and have never had a tip break UNTIL THIS YEAR! And it is one of my favorite rods. I had the delamination occur too. I ended using super glue once I got it lined up straight with the other guides. I then wrapped fly tying thread around it. And then I covered the thread with UV cement and cured it with the light. So far after several uses and a number of fish landed it has stayed solid. I try to take the pressure off the line at the reel when you slide the rod in the tube. I thought maybe that may have caused the tip to break. And as you know those tips are pretty fragile.   Lou

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2021, 03:52 PM »
E 6000 works wonders.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.