Author Topic: VX-1 as first flasher?  (Read 3221 times)

Offline ****frog

• IceShanty Rookie
VX-1 as first flasher?
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:05 PM »
I saw that the Marcum VX-1's are only $199 now.(non pro version).

I have used Vexilar FL-18 last the last couple years with a buddy, but I've never had my own flasher.
This year I will be doing most of my fishing by myself and dont have alot to spend on a flasher.
Any reason to think I would be disapointed in the VX-1? Anything weird to look out for when using this instead of a Vex?

Thanks!
WALLOWING IN MY OWN CONFUSED AND INSECURE DELUSIONS

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
Re: VX-1 as first flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:31 PM »
I bought the VX-1 last year and think its great...No problems and very easy to use...Your best bet for the price, and it has the bottom zoom...When i bought mine last year Marcum had a $30 mail in rebate on their website...keep an eye out and it may be back.

Trust me you wont be dissapointed ;D  Hope this helps

Gonephishin19(Dusty) :tipup:

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Buy it, you won't be disappointed.  I use mine all the time in 70-100 fow, and it performs great.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:57 PM »
where are you finding it for $199? I might be interested in 1 at  that price, was going to buy a vex.....

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:04 PM »
where are you finding it for $199? I might be interested in 1 at  that price, was going to buy a vex.....
   Mine was at Gander for that price

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Those are last years versions and they won't be offering any rebates on them. Get them before they're all bought up. The VX-1 has a lot of similar features to that of the FL-18, but a lot less expensive.
Ken                                          

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I bought my VX1 two years ago and I would be lost without it. It is a great starter unit and well worth the price if you can get it for 199. I got mine for that plus a fifty dollar rebate but that was 25% off on sale two years ago. All in it was 150. Canadian after rebate. I bought a Marcum 380 at the end of last season for $219. U.S. and I see they have now jumped the price 200 dollars. Very happy with both units so far. We'll see what happens to prices once the old 350 and VX1 units are gone.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline wiicefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:37 PM »
I bought one last year for $220 or $230 from Cabela's and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have used it in 90 ft for lakers with the bottom zoom, 25 ft for perch/walleye and 8 foot for 'gils. It also works great when setting tip-ups for pike.

I have used an FL 8 before and would perfer the VX-1 over it because of the zoom feature and the transducer arm. I havn't used any other higher end flashers but I must say for the money, you get alot of bang for your buck.

The only issue I have with it is interfernce from my buddies FL-8 can be annoying. We have to setup the shanty with the units as far apart as possible. His FL-8 doesn't pick-up interference, just my unit. The Interference Rejection buttom helps but doesn't allways eliminate problems.

Offline ****frog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I will be getting the VX-1 later this week!
Now I just gotta shove my old TrapII into the back of my car :P
WALLOWING IN MY OWN CONFUSED AND INSECURE DELUSIONS

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:48 PM »
great unit!  Excellent price!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2008, 05:31 PM »
got mine at gander today, had a coupon for 20% off any 1 item and a gander bucks card good for $10 off over $50 purchase. Came 150 plus tax.....at that price i cant justify the vex.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2008, 07:35 PM »
Congrats Hollywood now that's bang for you buck right there.  The VX-1 can take a pounding too, sled dump at 40 mph and tumbled down the ice, cracked gimbal mount, chunk out of the casing and it still ran great. Quality at an affordable price. You might want to look at purchasing a MarCum DCS 100 charger for all the guys that bought the VX-1. Reason I say this is the VX-1 comes with a 1/2 amp charger so basically you fish 8 hours charge 4 hours that's the formula for charging. For the optimum in Battery protection look for a MarCum DCS 100 fully automatic charger in the $25 to $30 range it will keep your battery from being overcharged as it is a 3 stage charger and a small piece of mind investment to keep your battery in tip top shape.
Tim Rogers

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Congrats Hollywood now that's bang for you buck right there.  The VX-1 can take a pounding too, sled dump at 40 mph and tumbled down the ice, cracked gimbal mount, chunk out of the casing and it still ran great. Quality at an affordable price. You might want to look at purchasing a MarCum DCS 100 charger for all the guys that bought the VX-1. Reason I say this is the VX-1 comes with a 1/2 amp charger so basically you fish 8 hours charge 4 hours that's the formula for charging. For the optimum in Battery protection look for a MarCum DCS 100 fully automatic charger in the $25 to $30 range it will keep your battery from being overcharged as it is a 3 stage charger and a small piece of mind investment to keep your battery in tip top shape.

Thanks for the information...Do you know if they have these chargers at gander

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2008, 02:56 AM »
Check with Fish 307 first and if not you can order from Reeds, or Fishing Pro Store on line.
Tim Rogers

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:11 AM »
You'll be very happy with a VX-1.  I have one and absolutely love it.  The features for the price are outstanding.  Great performance.  The only option I'd add is to pick up one of the soft cover/cases for it to keep it clean.  Doesn't come standard, but you can usually get them for about $15 wherever the units are sold.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:12 PM »
gander didnt sell the soft case as i have been looking, everyone seems to be sold out at the whopping 3 place i found online that actually sold the case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.