Author Topic: LCD -v- Dial  (Read 1372 times)

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
LCD -v- Dial
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Do they truly run hand n hand? Like do they display the same movement on screen, is one faster reading than the other on the screens? Does one have more problems than the other? Two products side by side LX-7 and say lx-5 but different head units.
Charles E.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LCD -v- Dial
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:54 PM »
that question is whats the difference between a motorized fish finder/sonar (analog flasher) versus a digital fish finder/sonar. digital draws a much finer line than analog finders. you get more options to tune digital with over analog. there is no lag on the lx digital s.
of the two you asked about, the lx-5 motors fail a lot and i would not buy one for that reason and because its old analog technology.
the digital will show more by far because the line is so much smaller and not a fat line. on the other hand a marcum troller is only a 2" target separation versus the lx-7 at 1/2" target separation. that means the troller line will be thicker than the lx-7 by far or should. i have not used one to verify.
so if you are shopping look at target separation (smaller is better) and if its analog or digital.
i have a analog sonar too. the humminbird ice-55 and it has thicker lines and not as many features and flashes in your face to show the lines (thus the name flashers) and is some what annoying. you can not change the display to show different charts like the lx-6, 7 and 9 does. what you see is what you get with analog. you get flashing thick lines that represent your jig, then if you have zoom, then its all amplified or magnified.
my lx-7 failed after 6 times out because of a ribbon/data cable fell off of the face plates control panel. easy fix and should not have happened. sounds like they forgot to add a locking mechanism to the connector. a dot of hot glue or epoxy would stop it from happening again. other than that problem they are not  breaking down.

its nice to have the best of both worlds to compare like i have been. the analog sits in the back of the bus for now and only comes out for the wife or as a back up like it was once already.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Display the same thing. Just a different way. Lcds are silent and have a lot of options for how you want to display the water column... a Flasher is mechanical motor spinning. Both show jig bottom and any fish ,bait fish  in the water in the cone angle you have.
Fishin red lines

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. I bought a Marcum LX-7 and now its time to get some hard water time with it.

Thanks again
Charles E.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:19 PM »
cool cool!

i'll post how mine is to help you get yours set too.
open water mode.
ping rate 1.
sensitivity 4-5 shallow water up to 10-11 25 fow.
narrow beam.
target separation 0.
ir 3-4 always.doesn't seem to make any difference if you turn it off.
zoom set manual to where i am fishing.
depth set to manual, set it to find bottom.
marcum claims the ducer is supposed to be just in the water, only the face an inch or so. i fish it under the ice and let it free hang. i wrap the cable around the arm support a few times. the rest is wire tied up and wound onto the display mount.
if staying put, i set sonars on a bucket to save the neck some pain.

have fun!

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Thanks that's going to help out a lot!! Its always nice to get info to get it setup to start using. I will give it a try.
cool cool!

i'll post how mine is to help you get yours set too.
open water mode.
ping rate 1.
sensitivity 4-5 shallow water up to 10-11 25 fow.
narrow beam.
target separation 0.
ir 3-4 always.doesn't seem to make any difference if you turn it off.
zoom set manual to where i am fishing.
depth set to manual, set it to find bottom.
marcum claims the ducer is supposed to be just in the water, only the face an inch or so. i fish it under the ice and let it free hang. i wrap the cable around the arm support a few times. the rest is wire tied up and wound onto the display mount.
if staying put, i set sonars on a bucket to save the neck some pain.

have fun!
Charles E.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.