Author Topic: What underwater viewer to get for ICE FISHING!  (Read 2092 times)

Offline -Mischief

• IceShanty Rookie
What underwater viewer to get for ICE FISHING!
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:55 AM »
What's everyone's opinions/experience with the various underwater cameras for ice fishing?

Thanks
---Frank---
Thanks,
---Frank---

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What underwater viewer to get for ICE FISHING!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:56 AM »
What's everyone's opinions/experience with the various underwater cameras for ice fishing?

Thanks
---Frank---

Buy a flasher instead  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:59 PM »
X2

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I agree, if you don't have a flasher...get one of those first. A camera is an extra tool that may not be used every time because of water clarity, etc...but the flasher will always work. That being said, I have a Vexilar double vision and the camera is phenomenal in clear water. You can learn  a lot by watching the fish react to your lure presentation as well as seeing what your lure is actually doing.

Offline ryeud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:30 PM »
get a vexlar double vision :tipup:

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
They have there place, I have a fish TV which is about the bottom end of the camera market but I get a kick out of it and my wife loves it.  It is only useful in water up to 15' or so and completely useless in low light conditions.  I love it for trout fishing and it is very helpful when I chase suckers for my Pike and Laker bait.

Offline HuskersLincoln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:09 PM »
As someone who already has a flasher.  I'd like to know which one works best in murky water?

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:18 PM »
I have had two cameras the last one I purchased was a vex color. As others said conditions must be right for good viewing if water is cloudy where you fish they are not much good. They are fun if water clarity is good.

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:39 PM »
I've been happy with my Vexilar FL20 flasher and I can see a camera to go with it some time in the future. I would have to make the Vexilar fish scout double vision a serious contender.
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I have been using Aqua Vu cameras for over ten years now. I currently own 3 of them. The black and white cameras have a wider field of view and the best resolution. The color cameras only work good in clear water with a good amount light penetrating thru the ice. Cloudy days, deep water depths, heavy snow cover on the ice make the color cameras useless unless you provide an additional underwater light source. As far as a tool to catch more fish: We have experienced that you spend a lot of time watching the camera versus fishing. Camera are a good tool to determine bottom content, weeds, water clarity and super light biting fish. If you have an established fishing hole, the camera can be set up in an additional hole and positioned to watch your bait. It can be challenging to locate your bait if you aren't fishing near the bottom. A fishfinder/flasher helps when you are fishing in suspended water. Another way to watch bait is to rig camera lens to look downward. When you do hook a fish, you run a risk of losing that fish if it tangles with camera cable. Many fish were lost this way and I have also caught fish by pulling camera up with tangle line/fish on it. I will also say that cameras can be very entertaining when used. Watching fish reacting to your lures is helpful information. Watching fish NOT reacting to your lures is frustrating, but very useful info too. Cameras are a great tool for entertaining kids on the water! Especially schooling fish that don"t travel a lot like yellow perch, white bass and sunfishes. If I had to choose between my fishfinder/flasher and camera, I would definitely choose fishfinder/flasher. Hope this info helps you! Good luck! :)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:28 AM »
When I pull the camera out, fishing take a back set to learning and I have learned a GREAT deal using the camera. I don't use it a lot, but when I do it is worth every penny!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Another option if you have a smart phone or ipad is Vexilars new WiFi FishPhone, you'll also save a pile of $$$!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Any way to plug a camera into a small tablet without that wi-fi box ?

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Marcum cam followed by the Aqua cam. Marcum uses the best camera on the market right now.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Any way to plug a camera into a small tablet without that wi-fi box ?

I'm not sure if there is a direct connect to the WiFi box, a quick call to the folks at Vex will answer any questions you have.  Why would you want a hard connection? Just curious.......

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Vexilar fishphone works absolutely amazing.  Used mine all weekend with an ipad and now cant imagine fishing without it.  Very good investment and it teaches you a lot.  It automatically switches from color to black and white when it gets darker out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.