Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50711 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:06 PM »
i went to one our sponsors store (knutsons) for bait. always do! they are great there and i like giving them my business even tho they are 50 miles away.

they had a one of a kind shappell fx100i assembled and for sale. they said it was a mistake. it was supposed to be a regular shappell fx100 in the box. they said the rep had it and it was mispackaged when they opened the box to get it ready for a demo. they said it is the only one any where and i knew when they started making the unit i would buy it, so i bought it not caring what the price was.
the manufacture date was 04.12.17.

i was hoping it had the dog leg bars added for the lower flaps where the velcro is used like shappell was telling me they will be adding. i was also thinking they would have had this out before now and ready for xmas at least.

they did improve the zipper storm flap. other than that the only other difference is the tent material. it is heat welded, but it's done very well with no irregular weld spots that allow more light thru than most areas like my gm 8x8 does. it feels the same weight as all my other fx100's the new hyfax kits are dark navy blue. i will be adding them. knutsons had most things on sale because of the poor winter last year so i bought the hyfax and a bunch of other items i didn't need.

i know it's a very popular shanty and many are looking forward to the insulated version being on the market. so i thought i would share what they look like.
enjoy!

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:11 PM »
Looking good

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing the only pictures I've seen so far...

Pretty dang nice...

Congrats on the 1st!!

<°)))>{

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:14 AM »
Very nice! Wonder why they are not in stores yet. 

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:57 AM »
Nice

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:59 AM »
if and when they release this it should compete with the Clam Kenai. i like my FX100 i think ill like it more when its insulated

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:03 AM »
Left out one detail.... how much did you pay for it? Inquiring wallets want to know! Lol
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:29 AM »
Weight and price please!! I think they'll sell every one they build!! :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:30 AM »
No information on Shappell website yet. They don't even suggest it exists.  They show the FX 200i from last year.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:40 AM »
when they come out that's my next shack.depending on price and weight.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Looks nice. Great that it was preassembled too! Thanks for the post.

I love my FX50 windbreak but sometimes feel a full shanty would be more appropriate on the worst weather days...

Questions: Does the insulation on a one man really help? Can you safely heat it without killing yourself? and won't the heater be in the way in the relatively small fishing area?? Can you stay warmer without a heater vs. uninsulated? Hard to believe body heat would help, the way I'm bundled up not much escapes...   ???

I don't mean to hijack thread, once again a great bunch of info about this new product!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Looks good.  Weight?  I got tired of waiting for this and just bought a Clam Blazer, Stealth, insulated.  42 lbs. with no gear.

Online tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:38 AM »
From what I can see the way it hinges looks pretty weak. Does it have the things like those on a card table like legs to lock the bars down?

When I bought my Kenai at Jays a few years ago one of those card table legs lock being bent on one of the display Shappel 100 models and the heavier hinge points are what sold me on the Kenai

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Mine seem pretty heavy.  Really only used when in wind block mode.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:45 AM »
3300 said that the weight feels about the same as the uninsulated model, so it should be close to what, 35-40 lbs.? - I would think that because of mislabeling that he bought it
     for the price of a new uninsulated model
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:45 PM »
3300 said that the weight feels about the same as the uninsulated model, so it should be close to what, 35-40 lbs.? -

Its got to weigh more than the non thermal version. From what ive seen in the past, thermal adds about 8-10lbs over the non thermal. Clam came out with a nice lite non-thermal flip that weighs 35lbs.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:47 PM »
the weight is from what i remember about the same as the non-insulated version while lifting it onto my legs to swivel it in and out of my van and that is all use for a one man flip. this will be my 4th version i bought and looking forward to the 5th!
on shappell's site the fx20001 is only 4 pounds more (72 non-insulated/76 insulated) than the non-insulated but that uint is about twice as big ( i sat in one at knutsons to see if i will buying one of those too). so this is probably about 2 pounds more than the non-insulated version in theory.
http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

the hinges are bolts (one per side) going thru the conduit and are plenty strong. it is the same exact frame and all their other flip over shelters. they use 1/2" emt conduit and now they 3/4" conduit for the sliding bench rail. the rest of the hinge is made a thick plate steel with bolted on support bars. very simple yet very effective design for hinges and easy to modify being they used over the counter supplies for the frame. the bolts all are nylon inserted lock nuts so they stay where you leave them  and they are slightly loose  to allow for movement.

the card table locks you see on them are for "wind mode" and they hold open the top half way so it is like their fx50 in that mode. i have seen older shappell's that used much thinner metal on those locks. i think they were the rovers. these are beefy and will pose no problem.

these started out as 28 pounds in the first version. the corners of the tubs would collapse on some of them, so they made their tub thicker and that added weight. then they made the bench slide ( i told them i had been doing it for years, so they added it too) so this adds some more weight for the now 3/4" conduit rail. other than those mods, that's how these have transformed over the years weight wise.
 looking at shappell's web page says the non-insulated version is: Weight:  37 lbs. so add up to 2 pounds more for this version.
the next version should have dug leg bars to hold the lower sides of the tent down better to the ice. i told them about that too when mike shappell owned it. this will add a little more weight.
i have digital bathroom scales and could weigh it, but i know it has to be 39 pounds +/- one pound at best.

if you read the front page of the assembly instructions page it says "never bank snow around it", so that it can breath fresh air.
it does have vent windows on both sides of you head while seated. this material won't breath any different than the non-insulated material does. in other words it is not any more dangerous to use with heat than the non-insulated version. the insulation helps with noise, wind flap, condensation and heat costs.
you can open the front door at the top to let more fresh air in if your over heating.

here is a foot print pic of the fishable space while seated in them. they do have the bottom front bar widened out to accommodate this area. it is the only bar that is about 4 inches wider on each side of the tub. so it's no problem to run a heater and have a bucket holding up your sonar to save on your neck pain.

i paid 329.00$ for it plus tax.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:00 PM »

We run em pretty different, most importantly, everyone is happy..

Bait bucket is in front of the third hole for the transducer..

<°)))>{

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:15 PM »
How cold it is where u need a heater in a 1man? I only ask because i dont have a thermal 1 man, and just being out of the wind and my body heat wars it up pretty quick. Coat, gloves, and hat come off after just a few minutes.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:22 PM »
How cold it is where u need a heater in a 1man? I only ask because i dont have a thermal 1 man, and just being out of the wind and my body heat wars it up pretty quick. Coat, gloves, and hat come off after just a few minutes.

I like to take off my coat and get real comfortable...

At 15° with the wind at night, alone on lake Erie, seems to get cold...

<°)))>{

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:30 PM »
I like to take off my coat and get real comfortable...

At 15° with the wind at night, alone on lake Erie, seems to get cold...

<°)))>{
  I'm with you here.  Heater always.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:34 PM »
  I'm with you here.  Heater always.

I also smoke like a chimney, so the heater makes up for the cross venting needed to be able to see... lol one man rigs fill up quick...

<°)))>{

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:24 PM »
80 to 90 in the shelter is nice.  I wouldn't fish if my heater broke down.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Nice looking shack 3300!  Congrats!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:24 AM »
thanks DN and every one else. i seen at least 10 more boxed fx100's today at three different dunhams. some have different box's than others (size and color) and it makes you want to open them up to see if there are more mispackaged fx100i in them.

i use a small little buddy heater or mini propane lantern in my fx100 and when it gets colder like at night or windy days or both that suck the heat out i use the mid sized mr heater buddy heater to answer bait buckets question and that is with reflectix on the ceiling.
in either of my large pop up shelters (used when the wife goes) i might use two heat sources and one of those is also insulated.
being insulated isn't only about inside temps. it is about condensation from heating and wind flap and noise. i do install reflectix to the ceilings of all of my other fx100's to stop the condensation. that isn't cheap and cost 50$ for a roll wide enough to do it right.

not sure how long you sit on ice, but i stay for 6 to 10 hours at a time, most of the time. i like being comfortable when i want to kick back, more so when the bite is slow/nil. coat comes off, tunes get louder and time for some food maybe. i am very mobile and weight has never stopped me from a move.

most of the time i am not in my shack and it is just a sled full of ice gear or a base if you will. if the wind kicks up or s now storm hits or rain storm and when the sun goes down and you feel the frost settling down on you, then the shack(s) get used. so i hole hop a lot and w/o the shelter on those moves. i fish on my knees for hours and close to the ice holes to stop wind from messing with my fishing and to be able to land fish at the hole quickly.

on the other hand, i have a buddy who sets up his (my old shanty) fx100 and you never see him again for most of the day/night. makes me wounder whats wrong with him. just lazy i guess.

the only way i would ever get warmer w/o a heater on is in the middle of a sunny day in a shelter, but i would much rather be outside of the shelter on days like that. i don't pay attention to actual air temps or wind chill factors. i pay attention to my comfort level thru out my time on ice and how much effort i want to put into it.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Dunham’s in Coldwater ?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Dunham’s in Coldwater ?
no, battle creek, westnege ave- portage and kalamazooo behind mcdonolds just off of us131 at first traffic light north. each box has three pieces of tape on each corner on both sides of the box's. was hard not to open them or have them opened for me. i don't know what the odds are of finding another one, but it might not hurt to have a staff member open them for you. they are marked store special 209.99$. retail 249.99$

Offline acmarcus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:47 AM »
no, battle creek, westnege ave- portage and kalamazooo behind mcdonolds just off of us131 at first traffic light north. each box has three pieces of tape on each corner on both sides of the box's. was hard not to open them or have them opened for me. i don't know what the odds are of finding another one, but it might not hurt to have a staff member open them for you. they are marked store special 209.99$. retail 249.99$
i've got a feeling this is going to turn in to willy wonka's golden ticket search! Nice pick up tho! Love my fx100, just waiting on the fx100i to replace it.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Well it’s official 3300 is the field tester  as I’ve checked Angola , Coldwater & Battle Creek . You have the only one . I’m in for the upgraded version but I’ll have to wait awhile longer ☹️ .

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:31 PM »
i've got a feeling this is going to turn in to willy wonka's golden ticket search! Nice pick up tho! Love my fx100, just waiting on the fx100i to replace it.

I wonder if there are any other golden tickets???

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.