Author Topic: Power towing a smitty sled  (Read 2608 times)

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Power towing a smitty sled
« on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:48 PM »
I am trying out a system for power towing my smitty sled. The smitty skis track in the atv tires, so hopefully that will cut down on the towing resistance.

I bought an eskimo tow bar which has a quick and easy hookup to the avt hitch ball. Just pull the hitch pin slide over the ball and put the pin back in.

I was worried on the inward stress that would be transferred to the sled so I went with a spreader bar in between the sled and hitch.

I did a double notch on the cross members of the smitty which has no pins or bolts and has held up for several years now.

The eskimo hitch is long enough there is no danger of running over the ski tips.

I just used clevis pins to attach to the sled so it would be quick to remove metal when I am hand towing the smitty.

I will be trying out my creation next week and hopefully all goes well.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Power towing a smitty sled
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Looks solid.

Just go slow and turn extra wide and you should be good.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:29 AM »
Looks like the front of the skis are too far forward.  I made that mistake on one and was pulling it behind a tracked SxS and the skis got caught under the slush and ripped it apart…
Hope yours holds up better ..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 03:45 PM »
Save the smitty for walk on ice and pick yourself up a tub

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:16 PM »
Tight turns weremy concern, the skis mix up the tire tracks and fresh snow and bad things could happen. Best case, poor tracking. Worst case, breakage.

I'm not sure the best solution, maybe going slower and taking wider turns would be the best solution.

I like where you're at, I'd just suggest taking it slow and cautious first few times and watching how it performs, but it certainly looks like you're on a great track to a super effective rig
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:15 PM »
X2 on what eyeflyer said.  It looks like a nice Smitty for pulling by hand, but not a good idea for behind a four wheeler. Do you carry that much weight in your sled that it bogs down your four wheeler?  Doing this seems like a lot of risk with very little potential reward.

Even going slow with a four wheeler, by the time you see or feel that something is going wrong the sled it will likely be too late to react vs. hand pulling. If you try towing this, be sure not to have anything breakable in the Smitty.

Good luck

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:00 AM »
X2 on what eyeflyer said.  It looks like a nice Smitty for pulling by hand, but not a good idea for behind a four wheeler. Do you carry that much weight in your sled that it bogs down your four wheeler?  Doing this seems like a lot of risk with very little potential reward.

Even going slow with a four wheeler, by the time you see or feel that something is going wrong the sled it will likely be too late to react vs. hand pulling. If you try towing this, be sure not to have anything breakable in the Smitty.

Good luck

Exactly.. ;)

Offline honest john

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:35 PM »
I've been towing my Smitty sled behind my ATV for several years.

I hooked my two pieces of conduit onto the ski tips.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:53 PM »
The main reason I wanted to try this idea was to save wear and tear on the eskimo sled. The sled is not very durable looking, compared to my jet sled or like otter sleds. I have the eskimo tow strips under the tub but the tub itself is kinda flimsy. I guess I could rig up a spreader bar directly to the tub in case the smitty idea does not work out. I had not planned on hauling ass with it, I drive like an old man all the time.

I will be fishing all next week so it will be a good first trial run with it. I did not think it would be much of a problem, especially with the spreader bar as it will have a straight pull on the smitty. I guess if a guy was going around 20-30mph with it in crusty snow that would be a problem. But going that fast is just not in my nature.

I will have to test it and just see how it goes. You guys are making me nervous, but I want to still try my idea out. Thanks for the posts.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2023, 02:19 PM »
Put Otter Hyfax on it.. ;)
  It comes with 6 but you only need 5..

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2023, 02:30 PM »
X2 on the Hyfax. I have them on all my sleds. Saves wear and tear on the sleds and are cheaper than a new one. They really help with tracking above walking speeds.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.