The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tip up time limit?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
Tip up time limit?
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:00 AM »
I've read in few threads this year alone about run in with CO's regarding tip ups. I've read through the fishing regulations handbook, and I just can't find anything related to a specific time limit on which one must check. I understand lines must be attended at all times yet as long as you have line of sight what else is there. I mean I've had a flag fly while I was fighting a fish on a another tip up. Then what?
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Re: Tip up time limit?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:58 AM »
There is no time limit. You also do not have to have your tip ups in direct sight. This is due to the modern electronics that transmit a signal that a trap has tripped. What generally occurs is the CEO looks around and doesn't see an obvious owner of the tip up. He trips the flag and then continues to monitor if anyone responds. At that point its a judgment call on his part when he encounters the owner if you responded in a reasonable time. I think he would be very understanding if you are battling another fish. Unless of course you are an asshole or he gets you for other violations.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I saw a co looking at  tipups and watching his watch and i asked how long he waits before writing tickets for unattended tipups..he said around 7 minutes.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Generally i put my tipups in a line in front of me and keep the window cracked that way i can see the flag fly, ive only ever encountered an co once on the water and she was quite friendly, checked our license and left
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.