The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 18V Earth Auger  (Read 1183 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
18V Earth Auger
« on: Jan 29, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Something I saw that might work for some of you. If you are like me, I like "dual" use tools, for my auger, I use a Riged 18V Drill with a handled adaptor and have been very happy with it. I especially like the Life Time Warranty. Well, they have just come out with an 18 v (twin batteries) Earth Auger, which I am sure will cut large holes in the thickest ice and will still save some digging in the "off" season. I have not seen a price yet and I am sure an adaptor can be found or made to fit any bit out there...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: 18V Earth Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Nice! I use the octane and have 2 9ah batteries. Definitely interested in this.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:19 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you are doing, but small augers like that are kind of useless for post holes. The good ones are 2-man machines. If you were using a small auger for fence or something, then maybe they would work, but I really doubt an electric is going to hold up to much abuse. Where it might work good is gardening or similar, but a lot of people no longer like to tear up their top soil so much. Anyway, that's my experience. Digging post holes with a 2-man auger for decking is hard enough. Any more, and I'd want heavy equipment.

As for an ice auger, it would probably work fine. With how big and bulky that is, and I assume heavy, I don't see what advantage it would have over a gas auger.
-Tom

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:56 PM »
Ryobi has the same sort of thing.  They look quite big/heavy/clunky compared to a dedicated ice auger or a drill setup, not sure how many RPM it turns but I'd assume it's slower than an ice auger.

Will it drill holes?  Yes.  Is it the correct tool for the job?  Probably not.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:42 AM »
Obviously, it is not the right tool for everyone, but for someone that already has Rigded batteries, wants a lifetime warranty, and would like to drill some post holes in the summer, this might be just the ticket. I know many guys that like the 2 handles set up. Without being able to count on ice in some places every year, this tool might help with the justification of dropping the money...

SPECS:
Dual 18V batteries deliver powerful gas-like digging performance
Anti-kickback system for increased user control
High and low speed and reverse operation for increased productivity
Includes Quick-Connect 8 in. earth auger bit
100% Compatible: Works with all RIDGID 18V Batteries and Chargers
Maximum Performance. Longer Runtime.
Pair with MAX Output batteries for maximum power
Lifetime Service Agreement with registration within 90 days of purchase

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:42 AM »
I am most interested in the torque.  I have a steel 10" shaver with center point that I would be looking to pair it with.  it seems like a bit much for my drill.  Also weight. 

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:27 PM »
The Ryobi one is like 38lbs and priced comparable to a strikermaster. Doesn't exactly make the most sense, but it's neat to see the options out there.

I'm a big fan of multi purpose stuff. If you'd run an earth auger in the summer, and want to put the power head to use in the winter too, makes a bit more sense. But getting exactly the right tool for the job has its time and place too. Some corners are worth cutting, some aren't
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.