Author Topic: Lake Louise report thread 2020/2021  (Read 13856 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake Louise report thread 2020/2021
« on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Time to start thinking of dragging the shack out.  The lake has been iced over since Saturday and with the temps the way they are I’m hoping to drag out the shack in another week or two depending on my schedule.  I hope the three of you that still look at this forum had a good summer and I hope to see you on the ice.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Louise report thread 2020/2021
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:56 AM »
My dad's been watching the camera at the lodge pretty regularly.
He's hoping he can get there in a couple of weeks and take his snowmachine out to the cabin.
Hopefully the overflow is not to bad this year.
I've still got some lake trout lures to get made.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Speaking of LL, does anyone know how thick the ice is yet out there?

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2020, 02:46 PM »
No clue, it’s gotta be on its way, though.  Starting to see decent ice on some bigger bodies of water down here in Mat-Su.  Haven’t been out, yet, with a spudder.  Hoping to poke a few holes soon, though.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2020, 04:33 PM »
I heard Glennallen is supposed to heat up to 37 today.  I sure hope this sloppy weather doesn't bring overflow.  I was really optimistic for an overflow free season with all the recent cold we have had.  I sure hope this little warm spell doesn't ruin things out there.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2020, 12:09 PM »
think one of the guides has gotten out a couple times maybe. looks like they have a decent amount of snow. hopefully the warm weather doesnt start melting it and create a mess out there this early in the year.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Boy it sure has been quiet on here lately.  Where is everybody?

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:22 AM »
forums have fallen by the wayside. F***book is where its at.  I am on a few other forums and its mostly just 10 guys or so now that talk on there. I might try and go up to the lake some time mid to late december. we shall see. Work has required us to work from home now so its a little eaiser to just take off early on a friday and head up.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:37 PM »
I wish there was 10 guys on here so we could talk back and forth.  It’s pretty sad when you think about what this board used to be like.  I messed my back up and have been on the couch for the last 3 weeks so I cant offer any reports other than that the lake looks beautiful on the webcam.  Hopefully I’ll be able to make it out for New Years. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:00 PM »
I wish there was 10 guys on here so we could talk back and forth.  It’s pretty sad when you think about what this board used to be like.  I messed my back up and have been on the couch for the last 3 weeks so I cant offer any reports other than that the lake looks beautiful on the webcam.  Hopefully I’ll be able to make it out for New Years.
Well that sucks!  Sorry to here about the back.  The lake is in the best condition I have seen in years.  I found 12 to 16'' ice with only a few inches of snow on the lake.  Shack hauled easily with no sign of overflow.  Personally I don't get on here much anymore.  Too busy working, being a Dad and fishing the later go hand in hand.  Im sure Ill catch up with ya when your back on your feet ;)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline TundraT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2020, 01:18 AM »
Hopefully you wont.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2020, 01:43 PM »
I have not been on Ice shanty for a few years. I used to fish Louise a little more back in the day with AK Hardwater. I still make it up there a few times a year. I dont have a machine so I have been walking to Larson and a few other spots. The numbers of people on Larson bay has skyrocketed in the last few years and that is why I fish it less now. I did make it out there a few weeks ago. fishing was slow but I did catch a nice laker a little over 30 inches but super fat. I am thinking of heading up that way this weekend maybe. I will post if I do.   

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2020, 01:59 PM »
My mom and dad are up there now.
They're not fishing though just hanging out at the cabin and bringing in a few supplies.
No reports other than they made it in fine all the way to blueberry cove.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2020, 02:57 PM »
It’s good to see you on here again iced, that makes like 5 of us now.  Louise defiantly isn’t what it used to be when we fished together.  Patrick has pretty much destroyed most of the fishery and he is targeting spawning Lakers so we are loosing our big mature breeders.  I’ll be up over Xmas and New Years so we should try to catch up.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2020, 03:30 PM »
I will try to go up for New Years. With Friday being the 1st I will drive up that day and stay Saturday, come back Sunday.  I might take my son in-law with me. He has not caught a fish under the ice yet. He lost a few char a couple weeks ago one nice one. It would be nice to get him a big burbot or Laker.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2020, 12:45 PM »
It’s good to see you on here again iced, that makes like 5 of us now.  Louise defiantly isn’t what it used to be when we fished together.  Patrick has pretty much destroyed most of the fishery and he is targeting spawning Lakers so we are loosing our big mature breeders.  I’ll be up over Xmas and New Years so we should try to catch up.

you think he is keeping them? i know the other guide does not let his clients keep any of the lakers.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:07 PM »
I don’t think he is keeping them but i have seen his fish handling skills and a 2 year old does a better job at releasing fish.  The big problem is when he fishes for them during the spawn.  I read somewhere that the C&R mortality rate for spawning lake trout is something ridiculous like 80%.  That’s why I don’t fish for them during the spawn.  In that same study that I looked at it said that the lowest C&R mortality rate was during the winter when the fish aren’t stressed from the spawn or rising water temps.  This is why I don’t understand why fish and game allows fishing during the spawn.  If it was up to me there would be no fishing from august 15 to October 15, but what do I know I only use the resource and notice the severe decline in the catch rates.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Pat isn't a bad guy. I know he doesn't keep the fish. He also doesn't target the spawning beds like another guide on the lake.  With that said, I think all lake trout fishing should be closed during spawning like on Fielding Lake . Even if you aren't targeting fish on the beds fish move onto the spawning beds at night and off during the day to deeper water during the day. If caught even if it does survive there is no guarantee it will complete spawning. Lake trout are old slow growing fish. some spawn every other year and I saw a study where some only spawn every three years. If you catch a big hen that is spawning every three years and it misses the spawn you have now done six times the damage to the population than you think. 

I am sure I am preaching to the choir  here so I will stop there.       

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:00 PM »
I think a large group of us should start going to the Avisory Committee meetings that they talk about and plan on making a proposal for this in next years fishing regs.  I for one think it's a great idea to shut down the laker fishing during the spawn.  But if nobody does anything about it, it ain't going to happen.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2020, 12:35 AM »
I could be talked into a couple Louise trips this year.  Have Livescope, will travel.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I don’t think he is keeping them but i have seen his fish handling skills and a 2 year old does a better job at releasing fish.  The big problem is when he fishes for them during the spawn.  I read somewhere that the C&R mortality rate for spawning lake trout is something ridiculous like 80%.  That’s why I don’t fish for them during the spawn.  In that same study that I looked at it said that the lowest C&R mortality rate was during the winter when the fish aren’t stressed from the spawn or rising water temps.  This is why I don’t understand why fish and game allows fishing during the spawn.  If it was up to me there would be no fishing from august 15 to October 15, but what do I know I only use the resource and notice the severe decline in the catch rates.

you sure its not your fishing skills dwindling  :woot:

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:20 AM »
the thing is that it is on the road system. anything on the road system will eventually start getting hit as people sprawl further out ( and as more guides start using the resource and spreading knowledge faster then this internet forum with 10 users on it) this forum is not the problem, if you want to blame the internet go blame facebook where there are thousands of people viewing reports daily. If more people fish it its fine but then adfg has to realize this and start regulating it as such. I have heard that one of the guides is trying to push for a 2 pout limit on louise.  Is that to get more business for him? Maybe but who knows.  I have heard he is working with FNG for fishing data/how he is doing and i feel this could give FNG a bias description on how the lake is really doing. If some one is fishing the lake every day they know where to fish to catch fish most of the time. That doesnt mean that the lake is full of trout or pout. I think FNG needs to complete more creel/fishing surveys out there to really see how well the majority of people are doing and not the lake pro. I believe it would give a much more honest depiction of how the lake is doing. i am all for no bait and closed down during the spawn. We can complain all we want on here but it wont go any where until someone has time to put together some research and start putting in proposals to FNG.  It would probably help if the 2 lodges on the lake were also incorporated in the proposal since they probably have more pull then any single person would.

They close down areas for the rainbow spawn why wouldnt they do the same thing for lake trout, especially in a natural lake?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Bye Bye TundraT.  @)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:34 PM »
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Thanks Roy, now we can go back to normal conversation.  So did anyone else have fun in all that ice fog last weekend?  I heard a few people got lost but nothing to serious.  I know in years past that fog can be deadly when it gets down around -20 and colder.  I thank the fine folks who bought me a burger for towing their machine back to the lodge, it was much appreciated.  I also thank the two fine gentleman who gave my truck a jump, hope you guys enjoyed your beers.  I need a new battery cause this is the second weekend in a row I’ve had to get a jump.  I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Thanks Roy, now we can go back to normal conversation.  So did anyone else have fun in all that ice fog last weekend?  I heard a few people got lost but nothing to serious.  I know in years past that fog can be deadly when it gets down around -20 and colder.  I thank the fine folks who bought me a burger for towing their machine back to the lodge, it was much appreciated.  I also thank the two fine gentleman who gave my truck a jump, hope you guys enjoyed your beers.  I need a new battery cause this is the second weekend in a row I’ve had to get a jump.  I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year.

I know my mom and dad said it was pretty bad.
Dad said he vould only see 1 trail marker at a time. Turned off trail to the cabin and wasn't sure if he was headed on the right direction until my mom spotted the neighbors cabin and they got to theirs safely.
Good to hear you helped someone and someone helped you out.
Very important in a place like that!
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:11 PM »
I always stop.  You have to stop cause in a bad situation you can actually save someone’s life.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come up on someone who actually needs help and been able to assist.  It’s also a good way to meet some really nice people.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:52 AM »
we started carrying gps all the time out there. I have gotten lost just at night because i didnt want to take the long way following the trail and tried to cross country across the middle of the lake. My buddy has a much better sense of where he is in the dark some how...me not so much. GPS on the phone helps out alot and actually shows the lake unlike my hand held. I wish navionics or some other brand would create a chip for up here. The lake mapping all throughout alaska is pretty crappy compared to the lower 48 maps. I am not sure if you guys saw it or not but adfg did actually complete some real hydrographic surveying on louise. much nicer lake map to look at.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2021, 04:56 PM »
I might be too old school, but I always carry a GPS, map and a compass.  It doesn't happen very often, but every now and again it gets too cold and my GPS doesn't work properly.  There is no substitute for a good old fashion map and compass if you ask me.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:21 PM »
I decided that with it being New Years Weekend I would wait for the holiday traffic to slow down at the lake. I hope to go the 16th but I will probably hold off if it is really cold. I am a wimp in my old age I guess. I remember being out there on the lake in fog thinking I was following the shore of Lake Louise on my way to Susitna. When I made it out of the fog somehow I was on the other side of Cliff Bay . I thought I could see trees on my left the whole may.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.