The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Cordless Drills / Ice Augers ?  (Read 1086 times)

Rob V

Cordless Drills / Ice Augers ?
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Can anyone share with me their experience using a cordless drill on their hand auger.  I've seen these conversion tools and was wondering how well this type of thing worked.

I have a 7", strike master lazer hand auger - what would you suggest the minium sized cordless drill I use be ?

Thanks very much for your in-site.

Rob v

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cordless Drills / Ice Augers ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:30 PM »
i was selected to test one for the north american fishing club but i turned it down for optima deep cycle batteries but my buddy said that his cousin has one that he uses with his 14volt dewalt and it worked fairly well through 10" of ice.  He said he only uses it in his shack to avoid the 2 cycle smoke asociated with his auger.  His shack is only a 4 holer so i dont know how fast it runs that 14v battery out.  But i like the idea of using it in the shack
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

krietechas

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:38 PM »
 :tipup: I saw a group using them on Lake St. Clair last winter.  They were using 24V drills from Sears and had made their own adapters.  They worked really well.  I tired it with an 18V Dewalt and the battery did not last long.  I was told that the batteries don't last long in the cold temperatures. 

Offline troutfinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I have never tried the cordless drill on ice.  I will give it a try this winter.  I do have a good amount of experiance with power tools and the cold weather the cold weather cuts most battery time in half sometimes more

Rob V

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:55 PM »
I was told the trick is to try and keep the battery warm - wrap it in somthing and keep in in an insulated cooler of some sort. 

Trouble with going out and buying an expensive 24V drill (if you don't already have one) - you could end up paying for almost half of what a traditional power auger might cost !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.