Author Topic: Round Beaver Dam Tipup  (Read 6125 times)

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
Round Beaver Dam Tipup
« on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Anyone have or use the new BD tipup?...... Just curious on what everyone thinks of it.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Round Beaver Dam Tipup
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2012, 03:44 PM »
They are new for this year. I think they are way over priced in my opinion. After uncle josh bait company bought beaver dam they jacked the prices way up. Glad i bought all my beaver dams before that happened. I also heard the quality is not the same, but that was hear say and and can not confirm that. The round ones go for 50-60 a piece. Again just my opinion.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2012, 05:23 PM »
I agree with the price inflation since Uncle Josh took over. I bought one of their tip ups near the end of the season last year and the quality compared to their old ones is not the same. I e-mailed them calling them out on this and they requested pictures so I sent them side by side shots of old and new explaining that I had concerns of the strength of the board when it has a knot right where the bolt goes through. I then got an e-mail from them stating that with the number of tip-ups they produce in a day they at times miss a defect or two. The e-mail ended with that and not even an offer to replace the poor board. I then asked if they would replace it for me and have gotten nothing back. That is and will be the last Beaver Dam I will purchase.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:33 AM »
Pizz poor customer service and poor quality make me think that I won't be buying any soon. I hope they realize that bad word of mouth or press here on Ice Shanty is going to hurt their bottom line.

Offline superstock_53

• IceShanty Rookie
  • shake and bake
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:23 AM »
I just bought a  packer tip-up today... the only difference that i don't like is that on the bottom of the reel there's a nut the old ones did not have this

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I just bought a  packer tip-up today... the only difference that i don't like is that on the bottom of the reel there's a nut the old ones did not have this

When I talked to the guys at Uncle Josh they said that this was to re grease the tip up a lot easier. They also now sell their lubrication for this. I agreed with the comment you had about not liking this at first but I have been assured that the nuts will loosen up and cause the real to fall off, that was my concern with it. After re greasing a few of my old Beaver Dams this past fall I can see how this threaded rod will be easier to work with than working with the  old ones.

some people on IS don't know sheeeeet and then will give a review about something they don't know sheeet about one guy didn't know how to use the tipup he was reviewing                      not talking about anyone in this thread

I agree that it seems like there are a lot of posts like this. I have been a long time Beaver Dam owner and can say I have always been very impressed with their quality of products (and I do know how to work one (-:). When I purchased my last one I was disappointed however with what looked to be an unfinished board. As I said the board had a large knot where the bolt goes through. As many know a knot causes weakness in wood. I was concerned about this because for the price you pay for one of these a broken board would be no good. Aside from this It is not a mechanical problem however it leaves the board unfinished looking is that the holes and cuts inside the board are left square and not routed. They are also not very smooth. This is not the same quality as all of my old boards and I thought there should be some accountability for this. More than this though I brought it to their attention in hopes that this is not the quality that their company has turned to.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:28 AM »
You would think they would have left them the way there were. Before you had to melt the solder to regrease them. Which most people either did not want to or did not know how to do it themselves and sent them in and paid to have it done.
I have had beaver dams as far back as i can remember. I also have some cheap tip ups that work well. The cheap ones i have also have a nut that holds the spool on and i find the grease works its way out and water gets in and they can freeze up. Not saying the new beaver dams are going to do this but it is possible.

Offline Bennynine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:00 PM »
sooooooooo, i thought this was about the round ones,  has anyone used them?

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2012, 04:35 PM »
Not me, but i'm itching to get one. I would like to check them out first. No stores around here carry them though. They're BD, they can't that bad. I try one and see how it goes.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Not me, but i'm itching to get one. I would like to check them out first. No stores around here carry them though. They're BD, they can't that bad. I try one and see how it goes.
That's why I started this thread..... But I had concerns about the price and if they were worth the 50.00 plus tax..... None around here for me too check out    :-\

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2012, 05:12 PM »
That's why I started this thread..... But I had concerns about the price and if they were worth the 50.00 plus tax..... None around here for me too check out    :-\
The have them at Fleet Farm in Green Bay.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:33 PM »
I have one Beaver Dam and a bunch of Frabils.

I do not think I would get the return on investment on the Beaver Dam for the price.

$50 per on the BD versus something like $14 for the Frabil. I can buy 3 1/2  Frabils for the money of one $50 BD. They would have to be 3.5 times better to be worht it.

I have never had a problem with the Frabil tip-ups.

The BD tip-ups do not seem to be 3.5 times the tip-up that the competition is.

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I have one Beaver Dam and a bunch of Frabils.

I do not think I would get the return on investment on the Beaver Dam for the price.

$50 per on the BD versus something like $14 for the Frabil. I can buy 3 1/2  Frabils for the money of one $50 BD. They would have to be 3.5 times better to be worht it.

I have never had a problem with the Frabil tip-ups.

The BD tip-ups do not seem to be 3.5 times the tip-up that the competition is.
These thoughts were the same as mine..... I was just curious to see what people thought of the round BD's. My Buddy I fish with has some and he's changing over to Frabil's and HT rounds and giving up on the straight BD's.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Its like buying anything else...your car, your house, shoes or what ever...you treat your self to something good or you get something cheap. Tip-up's? They all catch fish! But to go from BD's to to Frabill or HT's that a joke right?
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Its like buying anything else...your car, your house, shoes or what ever...you treat your self to something good or you get something cheap. Tip-up's? They all catch fish! But to go from BD's to to Frabill or HT's that a joke right?

If I had all BD tips I would not switch. Switching to me would mean tossing or getting rid of what you have. I am sure they work just as the other brands do.

I do not have an big budget. When buying any gear or anything for that matter I look at the cost versus the benefit.

I have never had a problem with any brand of tip-up. I have had to do minor repairs over the years on a few of them to include my BD.

From my experience the 3 1/2 times cost on the BD tip-ups does not result in 3 1/2 times the product lifespan, 3 1/2 times the ease of use, nor 3 1/2 times the catch rate on the fish.

I have not had troubles in use in any tip-ups I own. The only troubles I have are storage and tangles in transport. One of these years I will get my storage issues sorted out.

I am not knocking anyone fishing with more expensive gear. Just offering my opinion. Some who tip-up fish more than I might see the benefit in the higher priced gear.

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:49 AM »
As I said..... he's switching from straight to round type.... Plus having to repack them is getting to be a pain, that he feel's isn't worth his time......(notice I said HIS)

Myself I don't have a BD.... I have HT's & Frabils..... all round type.... which I like because I don't have to carry something extra on the ice to cover the hole to keep it from freezing over or filling with snow.

That's one of the reason's why I started this thread..... too see if its worth the extra money to buy one. Because their new this year....and if they were really worth the 50.00 plus tax.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM »
As I said..... he's switching from straight to round type.... Plus having to repack them is getting to be a pain, that he feel's isn't worth his time......(notice I said HIS)

Myself I don't have a BD.... I have HT's & Frabils..... all round type.... which I like because I don't have to carry something extra on the ice to cover the hole to keep it from freezing over or filling with snow.

That's one of the reason's why I started this thread..... too see if its worth the extra money to buy one. Because their new this year....and if they were really worth the 50.00 plus tax.

That would be a good reason to switch. I do not have any round but it would be nice to have them all stack in a bucket. I do not use any hole cover but that would be nice as well.

With the rounds do they aver freeze in so you have to chip around the circumference to get them out?

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:31 PM »
With the rounds do they aver freeze in so you have to chip around the circumference to get them out?

I haven't had any problems with them freezing over.... esp. when I use my 8" Jiffy.... they cover the hole completely (which I like) When we use my buddie's 10" Jiffy the HT's just cover the holes so no prob. the Frabil's are real close to sliding in, but haven't had any do this..... if I think its going to be close.... I just build up around the hole with the slush and place them on top...

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I got 3 of the round 12" black ones.  I have yet to get them on the ice, but my current thought is how the flag storage hole will be iced up after use.  The flags will be stored elsewhere.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.