The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke, what I've learned!  (Read 853 times)

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke, what I've learned!
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Let me just start out by saying that I do not own a power auger. I've been drilling by hand since I started and will probably continue to do so.

This year however I have had the good fortune to fish with friends and family that do have power augers and here is what I found.

4 Stroke
Power Auger Trip one, I went out with a buddy who recently purchased a 4 Stroke Lite.  My .02 on this unit, Light, quiet, efficient, no gas fumes!  Four stars! ****

2 Stroke
Power Auger Trip two, I went out with my Dad who had purchased a Eskimo gas auger last year.  My .02 on this unit. Heavy, loud, efficient, horrible gas fumes. Three Stars ***

Either way these were both good units that will cut a hole through the ice.  It's ice to have an 8+ inch hole as well vs. my hand drilled 6" hole.  I guess the main thing that bothered my on the ice was the weight of the 2 stroke.  Walking on the fresh 7 inches of snow with a 28lb auger was not fun.  Having only 20lbs of auger still is not fun but definitely less work.

Now as far as when I got home. I put all my stuff down in the basement to thaw out, just like I always do(this was Sat night). This morning(Monday) however I needed to get my Ice Armor coat which I wear to work most days, so down to the basement I went. Grabbed my coat, went upstairs and was ready to head out the door and all I could smell was gas. I had noticed the gas smell when fishing Saturday but I was outside so it wasn't too bad. There is just no way I could were this to work. Back downstairs and into the washer it went.

So I guess here's my scoop.  Both augers will get the job done but I favor the 4 stroke for one reason alone, the lack of fumes. Same goes for my 4 stroke  outboard on my boat.  I've had two stroke outboards but will never have one again.  While I don't like the extra weight of the 2 stroke, I can deal with that. So for those looking to get a power auger, this might be something you should consider.  Plus hey, aren't we all going green anyway! 

Whenever I do bite the bullet to get me a power auger it will be a 4 Stroke Lite or an E-Auger for sure.

Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.