The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 1973 3 hp jiffy 30  (Read 2039 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
1973 3 hp jiffy 30
« on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I resurrected an old 1 arm bandit to a butterfly handle . Did a total rebuild and it runs great , loud as heck but it purrs like a kitten and screams like a lion .
Problem now is the auger it self is shot . It's a 9" with 1 welded on chipper blade and a single pin that connects the shaft to the gear box
Question :
I'd like to buy a new 8 " auger shaft . Where can I get one and what ( if any ) new will match up to the gear box shaft . Remember , it has a single pin attachment .
Thanks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: 1973 3 hp jiffy 30
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 07:12 PM »
any jiffy auger will  work.the new bits are just a quick collar pin too.ive got the same 1 armed bandit  and run my newer style 8 inch bit on it.my 1 armed bandit came with a 7 inch welded on ripper blade.ive seen guys cut them off/drill and bolt new ripper blades on too.mine was dull but I took a file to the point and blades and it works great still.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:33 PM »
The Dr. is right, just about any jiffy auger new or old will mount to that unit. Jiffy's newer auger/drill is the stealth STX I believe. They fetch $200 new. If you don't want to fork out the coin for a new one, you may be fortunate to find one at a bait dealer or small engine shop or find someone to refurb the blade on your 9". The other possibility would be to buy a used auger for the 8" bit and have an extra power head. Those old model 30's show up on CL for $150. jiffyonice.com should sell the new drills.
It must be something in the water.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Thanks folks but the jiffy auger shafts seem tough to come by and expensive like in the $200. Range . Jiffy on ice is a tough site .
I am curious if a strikemaster shaft fits the jiffy as they are 1/2 the price . It seems maybe they are the parent company of jiffy now ?

If nothing works , strike master shaft or finding a reasonable priced " jiffy" auger shaft , I may try to refurbish the original one , although it's in rough shape . Possibly consider a new Eskimo complete unit as its only $100 more then a jiffy shaft for a 43 year old beast of an auger that I would only like to use occasionally .
I do love my nils hand auger .
Thanks again

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Jiffy I'm pretty sure is your only option, unless you know how to make the engine run backwards...

Jiffy augers run the opposite direction as all others, I'm pretty sure anyway.. For the same reason, no one has mentioned adapting another alternative..

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Jiffy I'm pretty sure is your only option, unless you know how to make the engine run backwards...

Jiffy augers run the opposite direction as all others, I'm pretty sure anyway.. For the same reason, no one has mentioned adapting another alternative..

<°)))>{

Got this right!. Gotta mind your rotation. My buddy had an old Jiffy he had resurrected but the drill was shot. Made a deal for a nice SM Lazer 8"er. He was so proud until I asked if he had run it on the ice. He said, "No, why???"  :whistle: sigh. He now owns a SM powerhead......
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 09:30 AM »
go to the jiffy on ice website. click on special sale items and theres bits for 50 to 79 bucks plus shipping.i bought the 5  inch for my jiffy pro 4 lite.no other bit will work on jiffys they have left hand rotation.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Yep contact Jiffy. They will gladly answer all your questions. 1(920)467-6167
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:42 PM »
go to the jiffy on ice website. click on special sale items and theres bits for 50 to 79 bucks plus shipping.i bought the 5  inch for my jiffy pro 4 lite.no other bit will work on jiffys they have left hand rotation.

That's where I needed to be :)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2016, 12:51 PM »
 I just put a Jiffy 30 with an 8" left hand screw on C list. Mint condition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.