The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 1st day with new ion  (Read 1054 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
1st day with new ion
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:04 AM »
Hey fellas, earlier this week I bought a new 8" ion for drilling inside my tuber trailer. Well, I took out 2 co workers yesterday and we put the ion to the test. We ended up drilling 24 holes in the shack. It was great being able to close the door and have the heat on while drilling holes! It drilled through 18" of ice with ease, no effort or force needed by operator. At the end of the morning after the 24 holes were drill we still had a 2/3 charge left. I will miss fishing in a 10" hole but the benefits of no gas, fumes, exhaust, less weight, ect is worth the sacrifice. Looking forward to many more trips not smelling of exhaust and being able to keep the heat in the shack instead of the constant cooling of the shack having to air out the exhaust.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1st day with new ion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:40 PM »
lund,
Have you had any problems with the auger stopping part way through drilling? I feel like the battery is out in the cold for 5 minutes and it starts to do this. I got it last year at the end of the year so it is still under warranty. Just wondering if this happens to all of them being in the cold for a bit or do I have a defective battery. It's fine when I keep the battery in the truck if I can drive out to where I go, but otherwise it seems to stop, then start back up, drill a few more inches and stop again.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:36 AM »
lund,
Have you had any problems with the auger stopping part way through drilling? I feel like the battery is out in the cold for 5 minutes and it starts to do this. I got it last year at the end of the year so it is still under warranty. Just wondering if this happens to all of them being in the cold for a bit or do I have a defective battery. It's fine when I keep the battery in the truck if I can drive out to where I go, but otherwise it seems to stop, then start back up, drill a few more inches and stop again.

I drilled about 60 holes with it this weekend and never had an issue... Its suppose to be colder this weekend. Maybe on the last spot we fish if I can remember I will leave the auger outside of the shack for a while in the cold and punch a few holes before we leave and let you know...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:44 AM »
i used my buddys in -10 degree weather and had no problems. drilled probally 30 holes and we still had a full charge still

Offline Tommyboyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:52 AM »
First year with mine used for 4 outings so far. Works awesome, everyone's impressed. The only time I had a problem was wen it was -25 out after an hour of drilling same thing start stop start stop. Warmed up batt all is good. Gonna get some hand warmers for the batt wen it's that cold again. Oh yeah manual states that's normal if batt is cold

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:13 PM »
lund,

Yooper, the manual states the battery should be kept warm. This is the one draw back of the auger. I and many other Ion owners have had the issue u describe if left out.
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

What precautions should I take with the battery in extreme cold?

For optimal performance and longevity, the battery should not be left in the cold overnight or for extended periods of time. If a battery is exposed to extreme cold for extended periods of time, it may need to be brought inside or put inside of a jacket to warm up for 5-10 minutes before operating. When storing between fishing trips it is best to keep the battery inside and fully charged.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I knew the battery was supposed to be kept warm, but seeing some of the posts and how they are drilling outside constantly without any issues for the most part made me wonder. Just seemed like it was reacting more than others. When this isn't happening, this auger is unreal at cutting.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:22 PM »
If you wanna see a lazer show, put a 6in auger on it
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.