The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 2HP jiffy + 10" flighting?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
2HP jiffy + 10" flighting?
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Hey guys, I have a 15ish year old Jiffy white lightning that runs like a top but I dont use it very much anymore ever since I got a new auger.  I keep it around for when im drilling out old holes in the shack or for when im fishing on dirtier ice that would ruin my swedish blades on the new one.

My current 8" flighting on the jiffy has seen better days, been busted, bent, re-welded, paints chipped off, rusting, ect.. but with a fresh set of blades it still works just fine.

So I guess the million dollar question is, if I decide to put a new flighting on it, would the little 2HP engine spin a 10" flighting? This auger no longer has to cut large numbers of holes in a day, its mostly just for the shack and for backup. It would be nice to have a 10" flighting on it for drilling a couple tipup holes when I get to a new spot.

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2HP jiffy + 10" flighting?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I have a 43cc Viper on a 10" and have no problems with it drilling.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I have the same powerhead and gearbox you have with 6" and 9" stealth drills. The 9" is max for that engine and gearbox it IMO especially if you drill through thick ice. The 8" is more ideal for it. I would not put a 10" on it, maybe a 9".

I have a 43cc Viper on a 10" and have no problems with it drilling.

Your auger has a gearbox with over twice the reduction and shaver style blades. Apples to oranges compared to his gearbox ratio with a 10" chipper, especially the more aggressive stealth drills.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 PM »
IMO...I would leave it as is for a reliable backup.  I had a 2hp jiffy and it ran very good also and I'm sure would turn a 10" bit but the problem would be that last cpl inches it has to chip thru...seems to be the toughest part getting thru the bottom of the hole with a chipper bit.  I'm sure if ya babied it thru that last lil bit you could go with a 10" but that 8 is great for reopening holes like you said.
]

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Thanks guys, this is sort of what I was expecting to hear.

Maybe I will just try and find a new 8" flighting and leave well enough alone, that late march ice can be BRUTAL.

Cheers

:tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.