The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 1st auger...propane?  (Read 4699 times)

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
1st auger...propane?
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Would I be better off getting a gas job with a good case? I know, alot of questions for a newbie but thanks in advance.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
Re: 1st auger...propane?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Read up on the other threads about the Pro4 Propane. They have had some serious flaws, I just bought a new auger yesterday and I chose an Eskimo after alot of research. I chose to stay away from the propane, the videos on YouTube show it cutting really well, I just assume not find out about other issues later on.

My suggestion is to read on all the other threads about this auger.
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I've read some of the threads and the one issue that pops up is the fuel line issue which may have been fixed on this years model...??? I'll search formore threads though. Thanks vexvision.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:52 PM »
I have posted plenty about my experience with this auger in the past. So you may want to check old posts, but here is my rundown.

-It was my 1st Auger as I started ice fishing just last season. I wanted a quality new auger, but know next to nothing about engines. I didn't want to worry about mixing gas and oil and also didn't want gas smell in my suv, etc. It seemed like the perfect solution. I was 1st interested in an Electric, actually bought that first, but it died after about 10 holes and that just wont cut it for my needs. I drill as many holes as i need to in order to find the fish and don't want the auger to limit me. So after that failed attempt, I returned the electric and got the Pro4.

-It worked just like advertised. Started right away on 1st or 2nd pull, super easy to work with, comfortable handling, cut through the ice like nothing. I was extremely happy with all aspects except for the weight. I have a 10" and this sucker is heavy. 43lbs I want to say. 8" isn't much lighter. While it is heavy, it is certainly manageable. I'm 6' 180 and by no means in tip top shape (Desk job). I will drill 40 holes on certain days walking spot to spot, so it is do-able and no matter how light the auger, you will get tired. That is really the only long term complaint i have is too heavy for the "Ice troller" but still is workable.

Now, about 1 month after I bought it, it shut down mid drill. Long story short there was a problem with the fuel line leaking. Others on here have had the same issue. I called Jiffy and was instructed to go to a local engine repair shop. Dropped it off on Monday, had the Auger back Saturday (shipping for the part was 4 days, repair was mere hours). Since then, things have been golden.

I'd be lying if I said i wasn't upset when the Auger went down. You pay top dollar for things to work seamlessly year 1 for sure. I was very upset, but had a back-up with my friend along. So I missed 1 day or so. Had I been on vacation on an ice fishing trip I would have been livid. I am not sure if they have corrected this issue with new models or if you should anticipate this issue after purchase and contact Jiffy. I have heard you can get the part sent out even if it hasn't broke yet. So maybe do that, then it is a simple repair once/if it breaks, or just go get it fixed.

PM me if you have further questions, but like I said, beyond that 1 issue which Jiffy took care of, I love it. You will have no issues getting through deep Ice. I'd say I cut through 24" on a number of occasions maybe more. I live in MN, so it gets pretty thick. Quiet operation compared to gas, no smell, no leaks, simple stuff. The only other thing you want to keep in mind is when laying the auger down or storing it, you want to keep the sparkplug side up/tank up. It is just like a lawnmower engine in that if it were tipped upside down, oil will work through the crank case. Easy enough to mark the handle (This side up).

Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:55 PM »
    NoMe, I've been doing some research on the propane auger myself and I would call Eskimo and ask them about the fuel line problem. That is the only problem that I've heard about on here ar anywhere else. I'm sure you know that they are pricey!! As far as propane cylinders go, they can be refilled from a 20# cylinder using kits sold online like Cabela's or elsewhere. I have heard that you can get 80-100 holes per cylinder or more. Here is some info fore you.   http://www.fishusa.com/Jiffy-STX-Pro-4-Model-40-Propane-Powered-Ice-DrillAuger_p.html   I've also been told that they are heavier than some other augers also, but the benefits outweigh the extra wieght. Hope this helps you decide to get one!! Like alot of folks, I'm having to watch every penny, so I can't afford one unless I hit the lottery!! Good luck and keep us advised on how it works out!!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:57 PM »
    NoMe, I've been doing some research on the propane auger myself and I would call Eskimo and ask them about the fuel line problem. That is the only problem that I've heard about on here ar anywhere else. I'm sure you know that they are pricey!! As far as propane cylinders go, they can be refilled from a 20# cylinder using kits sold online like Cabela's or elsewhere. I have heard that you can get 80-100 holes per cylinder or more. Here is some info fore you.   http://www.fishusa.com/Jiffy-STX-Pro-4-Model-40-Propane-Powered-Ice-DrillAuger_p.html   I've also been told that they are heavier than some other augers also, but the benefits outweigh the extra wieght. Hope this helps you decide to get one!! Like alot of folks, I'm having to watch every penny, so I can't afford one unless I hit the lottery!! Good luck and keep us advised on how it works out!!!  :icefish:

You mean Jiffy? Eskimo doesn't sell a Propane auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:00 PM »
The propane is made by Jiffy, not Eskimo...........
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Only problem i have read on here about it is the propane some times gets to cold and the auger wont start.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for all those quick responses...I realize they are pricey but I feel that cost will outweigh the gas smell in a SUV. I understand they are also the heaviest on the market, but I don't run and gun, I drill 1, set, then I'll pull it in a sled to the next hole, many times I have a flag by the time my fifth is drilled.
Hagigun, you sound honest in your reply, I'm in northern Maine and the ice gets thick up here also. Glad to here that Jiffy made good for the part, I would think the fuel line shouldn't be an issue anymore, I doubt that they would want to get a bad rep for a .15 cent part.
I read somewhere they were tested to -20F, if that's true I'll be fine cause I prolly won't get out if (when) it's that cold.

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:45 PM »
You might want to check out the different brands of battery/electric augers on the market. Always ready 2hrs charging normally, instant power. It will drill more holes then the average fisherman would put down in one trip. I have a Icegator personally, but I'm sure any well known brand is very good also. I have a bad right shoulder. The electric auger has let me stay in the game .
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Sorry, I did mean Jiffy. Gettin' old and my finger is quicker than my brain sometimes. And yes i meant finger, as in one! On a good day I can type with two!!!  LOL.. So far JIFFY is the only one making propane augers. Hope that changes and the prices come down. Save some for us .............   :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I too drive an SUV and love not smelling and spilling gas to and from the lake. Jiffy fixed the fuel line problem with a flexible hose. Pull the trigger dude! ;)

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Battery/electric sounds good in theory but I have a hard time to believe it would hold up in temps at 0 F with ice 2 feet thick by Feb 1, and without a permy to keep it warm if I wanna move at midday and drill 5 more holes...and wouldn't you have to use and charge it in the off-season to keep the battery from permanently dying? I spend coin on batteries for cordless drills cause I don't use them frequently and they no longer hold a charge. If the lakes I fish had a max of 12" of ice I may do the electric thing, and I may change my thought process in the future, but for now, knowing the fuel line issue has been fixed, unless several members chime in with good reasons to NOT purchase a Pro4, I do believe I will pull that trigger. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:26 PM »
to date i have not had any of the fuel line problems with my pro-4 but hey this years just getting started, as far as cold goes i always carry my gear inside a SUV with the heater going and keep the auger and spare bottles inside my wife's pop up with the little buddy heater going. on a night fishing trip were it got down to 15 below keeping it that way i had no problems

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I have had ZERO issues ever getting it stared in cold weather, just the fuel line issue. I don't think the cold will ever be a problem. If it's that nasty cold out, i probably wouldn't be out, but you could always put the Auger in the heated shack until it's ready to go...again, this is assuming it wont start which has never been the case.

As far as Electrics, you can see on my previous post I tried the Strikemaster Electra. In theory it was all I wanted and more. No gas, no fuel, just charge and go. The 1st day I took it out I figured 15-20 holes and some post on here claimed 40+. I was a bit skeptical, but after it drilled about 10 holes and pooped out I was pissed. This was early ice 8" or so. You can always jump off the car with the cables, but we did not drive out that early in the season. Plus even if my car was there, what a pain.

The electric is a niche product in my opinion. If you have a perm shack, need to drill or re-drill 4-6 holes, then maybe a tip up or two, great solution. Light weight auger, great solution. If you want any more than that, you are really gambling that it will hold up. I'd say 15 holes max!

Now, the Ice Gator is a completely different animal and I have no experience with them. I love the idea and concept of electric, just not sure how many holes you can get. I can only tell you about the Strikemaster I briefly owned. Ice Gators may be way better and also have some new stronger batteries.

All depends on what you want. Reliability, no gas smell, heavy auger, lots of holes (60+ per can) easy to start and handle (my gal can use it and she is 5'3".). Those are the long and short of my Jiffy Pro4.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:45 PM »
I went with the Jiffy Pro 4 auger the other day.  It is on order.  The fuel line issue was resolved.  My father purchased a brand new Eskimo last year and the pull cord snapped on the 4th trip.  He called Eskimo and they sent him a replacement part.  There was a manufactured defect on the pull cord housing.  The ring around the pull cord was metal and sharp.  ALL BRANDS of augers have issues.  When a new product comes out, there are going to be some minor issues.  I say make the plunge like I did. 

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:50 PM »
The propane seems to be a good concept...almost bought one myself, but went with the IceGator. 
I'm also in MN, last yr end of season i tried to test it, see how many holes i could drill in about 28 inches of ice, just so to learn the limits of my machine...I got tired of drilling but couldn't wear out the auger battery, drilled 12-15 holes.  That was after the day of fishing, let the auger sit outside all day.  It was a warm day- 25'ish- but i didn't baby it before the test.  Then i let it sit in my garage a week, no charge, brought it out the next weekend and it worked the whole day.  Didn't try to run it out the 2nd weekend, but i had plenty of holes, plenty of battery.

The IceGator battery/auger is a beast.  From the other posts, JiffyPro seems to have fixed their problem too, so i think either would be a solid choice...much better than gas.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:43 AM »
IMO, the biggest benefit to the propane augers is the ability to run them on bodies of water where gasoline motors are not allowed!! 

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Glad to hear the icegator working well for you jhill, that could be the wave of the future, or present.
xjma, I'm not sure if propane augers are even permitted on lakes that don't allow gas augers. After all propane is a form of gas. I guess it would depend on how the laws are written. I know in Maine when this is the case it is no POWER equipment can be used such as motor boats, snowmobiles, power augers, etc... I don't even think you could use an electric drill or trolling motor. In any case the reason I went for the pro 4 was to not stink my SUV with gas/oil smell and they seem to start within a few pulls of the cord. Fairly heavy though 43#.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Just put one (10") on order through Cab's, promo right now for free auger hauler case ($50) and free ship over $99, but still have to pay additional shipping charges + tax comes out to $559.00... doesn't seem like a GREAT deal but I haven't seen them for any cheaper any where else. That auger hauler promo is good for any power auger 'til Nov. 28.

You wont regret it man, I bought mine last Dec, fro the very same reasons, no gas smell on my bait...worked well all year, got close to 2 feet here, went thru it like butter. My advice to you is to install a bottle while you leave the house, then you dont have to worry about the hose getting to stiff in below degee wheather, same thing when you are done, leave the canister on till you get home, then unscrew.
I never had any fuel leak problems, but I got the replacement line from Jiffyonice.com anyhow, just in case. I wont touch anything till I need it. I had to pull three time once, rest of the time its first or second pull EVERY time, love watching guys trying to start their gas dinosaurs....

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Celt6, did jiffy just send you the same aluminum replacement line? Or did they send a brass fitting? I would find it rather redundant to send the same piece that they claim can malfunction. I'm just unsure how jiffy made good for you guys that bought the pro4 the first year in. I'm aware that on mine (2012 model) that jiffy flipped the carb so that the fuel line to the regulator is just two brass fittings. The other change was to place the oil dipstick/filler cap in a more convenient  location. Other than that everything stayed the same. And yea I prolly will keep the tank on til I'm done for the day, thanks for the advice.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I also bought a 10" Jiffy Pro 4 last year and haven't had any issues with it. Starts right up every time. As far as the fuel line goes... mine has been fine. You need to be mindful that unfortunately....almos t all new augers are being made with more and more plastic parts....

The thing with the fuel line is easily avoided by connecting the tank when it comes out of your vehicle (when its still warm) or if you travel with it in the back of your truck, connect the tank before you hit the road... otherwise the hose is obviously going to be stiff and tougher to connect. Ive gotten over 100 holes drilled with just a single 1gal tank, so for the majority of people that shouldnt be an issue.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:28 AM »
I just ordered the Pro 4 as well. Although it's not my first auger, I'm still pretty anxious to try it out. Here's hoping for some cold weather.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:04 AM »
I just ordered the Pro 4 as well. Although it's not my first auger, I'm still pretty anxious to try it out. Here's hoping for some cold weather.
It's like other posters have said, "put oil in, attach tank, starts within 3 pulls". What I'm having a hard time to get use to is the sound of the engine at WOT. If you are use to a 2 stroke that screams at WOT, this propane unit sounds like it is carboned up at WOT, but it can't be, it runs on propane. I'm just not familiar with running propane engines other than forklifts. Funny to remove the plug and it is clean and dry. Good luck with it!

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:09 AM »
I strongly beleive that the other companys are going to have to make propane augers just to survive.  You might even see them in a lot more small engiones. Propane and natural gas will be the furure.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Celt6, did jiffy just send you the same aluminum replacement line? Or did they send a brass fitting? I would find it rather redundant to send the same piece that they claim can malfunction. I'm just unsure how jiffy made good for you guys that bought the pro4 the first year in. I'm aware that on mine (2012 model) that jiffy flipped the carb so that the fuel line to the regulator is just two brass fittings. The other change was to place the oil dipstick/filler cap in a more convenient  location. Other than that everything stayed the same. And yea I prolly will keep the tank on til I'm done for the day, thanks for the advice.

You know, I dont remember, I think they just send a fuel line, that clearly looks different, I have it stored in my folder. I will add it  if needed.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:40 AM »
You know, I dont remember, I think they just send a fuel line, that clearly looks different, I have it stored in my folder. I will add it  if needed.

They sent me 2 new compression fittings and a new aluminum hose...it was just a bad design originally on the fitting end, the new pressure fittings work great...I got one last year right as they were released for sale and mine broke early February....it was a quick easy fix that I could do my self, its as simple are removing 2 threaded fittings and the hose comes right off, you connect the new one to the fittings and its good to go. Literlly took about 5 minutes to do.

Dont believe anyone that says it wont start in the cold or anything like that. The freaking thing works great and I drilled over 200 holes on 1 can of propane. Yes its heavy, but we all need a good workout.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:42 PM »
On a side note, the sparkplug that was in the unit was a "torch". I never really heard of that brand name but oh well. Jiffy's manual reports that an "Autolite 4194" is the equivalent and I cross referenced that and the only other manufacturer that makes that plug is "NGK". I've always have good luck with NGK in gas jobs so I ordered 2. These may be hard to find in autoparts stores and I don't want the only thing standing between me and drilling a whole to be a sparkplug in the mail. That NGK stock# is 2086 and the part# is CR8HSA.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:49 PM »

Sweet! I know who will be cutting my holes come this winter.  ;D

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:55 PM »
A propane auger sounds like a great idea but I think they got a ways to go on them yet. I mean, it weighs 43 pounds! Take 15-20 lbs off of it, then we will talk. I guess I'm used to drilling with a 25 lb auger though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.