The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 50:1 or 100:1 for a jiffy  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: 50:1 or 100:1 for a jiffy
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Would any of you like to guess some of the risks involved in formulating  a lubricant and printing a mix ratio on the container AND COVERING THAT WITH A WARRANTY?

Are you also aware of the test facility, the chemist, the engineers, the scientist, that are required for such a venture?

Are you aware of the financial risks involved?

The policy of the founders of such a company DEMAND THAT QUALITY SHALL NOT BE COMPROMISED and price will never become issue.

Strict adherence to these policies was the goal at the onset and has not been compromised, nor will not be forthcoming, ever.

It seems to me the wealthy want the best.

The intelligent require the best.

The poor and frugal need the best.

Any idea who I'm referring to?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Amsoil  ;)  It was designed to be ran at 100:1,  this stuff wouldn't see the praise it does if it was popping engines at that ratio either.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:09 AM »
I talked with a Petroleum Engineer at Amsoil before I started using the stuff. He told me that Amsoil will replace an engine that is damaged due to using Amsoil. If your auger is under warranty and you use Amsoil, the engine warranty covers the engine unless they can prove it was damaged from using Amsoil Saber in which case Amsoil will warranty the engine. I can remember when my neighbor's Lawnboy mower broke down and Lawnboy refused to replace the engine because my neighbor wasn't using Lawn boy oil. He was dumb enough to accept this and bought a 4 stroke for his next mower. There is no way a manufacturer can force you to use their name brand oil. As far as mix ratio is concerned Amsoil Saber Professional 100;1 oil is engineered to be safe at that ratio, but a person can use it at 50:1, 40:1 or whatever your brand recommends. It won't do much but smoke more and have a snotty exhaust. Just my .02.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Youcanttuna Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Would any of you like to guess some of the risks involved in formulating  a lubricant and printing a mix ratio on the container AND COVERING THAT WITH A WARRANTY?

Are you also aware of the test facility, the chemist, the engineers, the scientist, that are required for such a venture?

Are you aware of the financial risks involved?

The policy of the founders of such a company DEMAND THAT QUALITY SHALL NOT BE COMPROMISED and price will never become issue.

Strict adherence to these policies was the goal at the onset and has not been compromised, nor will not be forthcoming, ever.

It seems to me the wealthy want the best.

The intelligent require the best.

The poor and frugal need the best.

Any idea who I'm referring to?

I would have to go with the far more extensive research conducted by the engine manufacturers. I am speaking from experience and your post is insulting to say the least.

Offline Youcanttuna Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:20 AM »
I talked with a Petroleum Engineer at Amsoil before I started using the stuff. He told me that Amsoil will replace an engine that is damaged due to using Amsoil. If your auger is under warranty and you use Amsoil, the engine warranty covers the engine unless they can prove it was damaged from using Amsoil Saber in which case Amsoil will warranty the engine. I can remember when my neighbor's Lawnboy mower broke down and Lawnboy refused to replace the engine because my neighbor wasn't using Lawn boy oil. He was dumb enough to accept this and bought a 4 stroke for his next mower. There is no way a manufacturer can force you to use their name brand oil. As far as mix ratio is concerned Amsoil Saber Professional 100;1 oil is engineered to be safe at that ratio, but a person can use it at 50:1, 40:1 or whatever your brand recommends. It won't do much but smoke more and have a snotty exhaust. Just my .02.

Been around the block a time or two with warrenties as well. Best of luck trying to get anyone to take responsibility for your blown up motor.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I guess I'm gonna have to blow one up to find out and I don't seem to be the one having a problem with this.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:39 AM »
My recommendation would be to not use synthetic during the break in period.  I think that is usually one tank of fuel.  The synthetic may be too slippery to allow everything to set right.  After that go nuts.  I'd rather err on the side of caution with the mix ratios, especially with the cost of augers these days. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:40 AM »
YOUCANTTUNA FISH, All of our fine Iceshanty members mean only to EDUCATE those that are not yet on the same page. No insult was intended ~ only the guilty would flinch at the truth.

Awesome saying comes to mind: If you can't say anything nice, no, no, that's not it. Oh, never mind, the swine eat the pearls with corn and never know the difference.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:55 AM »

Hey Dawg, too bad your neighbor was not aware of the Federal Magnuson-Moss Act. To wit: any manufacture that specifies a lubricant must supply it free of charge.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Hey Dawg, too bad your neighbor was not aware of the Federal Magnuson-Moss Act. To wit: any manufacture that specifies a lubricant must supply it free of charge.
You would have to know the guy. He would wear a jumpsuit and white cotton gloves to change license plates on his car. I was amazed he could start the mower by himself. I was in my driveway when his blew and I heard it. The next afternoon he had a different mower and I asked him if it was a loaner while he was getting his Lawnboy repaired. He said he bought a new one because he wasn't using Lawnboy oil and they wouldn't honor the warranty.   :unsure:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Brings back memories of that P.T Barnum statement and the Monk character. :roflmao:

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:37 PM »
You can buy it direct from them at the distribution center at 6625 Tomken Rd, Unit 12-14, Mississauga, or, there are other independant dealers. Some Motorcycle shops, snowmobile shops and marinas also carry the stuff.  One litre will last you a long time.

thanks, found it at Royal Distributing in Whitby, going to get some! Thanks guys for all your help.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Ocean, enjoy the best and have a good season.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Auger gas Mixture
« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

I picked up a older Jiffy 30 this summer. It states on the auger the mixture is 24:1. I have also read of people putting stabilizer and carb cleaner in ti as well to keep things running smooth. My question is, do you need to use the cab cleaner if u run the stabilizer? Also how much stabilizer do u use (1 bottle per gal?)?

In my search i came across some other info about this product called Amsoil Saber Professional
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Have any of you guys used this product before and do you recommend it?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

surflizard

Re: Auger gas Mixture
« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I run the Amsoil saber in my 14 year old Jiffy legend lightning and in my 23 year old Eskimo shark and they both run the best they have ever run, I use it in all my small engines ! The Stabil stabilizer contains 20 percent alcohol by weight and it doesn't prevent the phase separation from the ethanol in today's gas ! The only gas stabilizer on the market that does prevent the breakdown is Startron !

www.mystarbrite.com/startron

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I run the Amsoil saber in my 14 year old Jiffy legend lightning and in my 23 year old Eskimo shark and they both run the best they have ever run, I use it in all my small engines ! The Stabil stabilizer contains 20 percent alcohol by weight and it doesn't prevent the phase separation from the ethanol in today's gas ! The only gas stabilizer on the market that does prevent the breakdown is Startron !

So what does your mixture consist of?
A gallon of gas, a bottle of 110:1 Amsoil, and a bottle (or what ever the 1 gallon ration is) of the starton?

Sorry to sound like such a noob. But I have never owned a 2 cycle engine before. (im a yougin, well yougish)

surflizard

« Reply #46 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Feel free to ask questions no matter how trivial you think they are, thats the best part of this site someone, some where can answer any question or know where to find the answer ! You got it the first time BaitBucket, , you only need a ounce of the startron in a gallon, 1 heathy capfull will do it and shake it up good and you are off to the races ! I'd make sure the blade guard is on tight and fire that bad boy up and get a whiff of that 2 stroke smoke, it is truely one of lifes little pleasures !  :thumbsup:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Nov 06, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Feel free to ask questions no matter how trivial you think they are, thats the best part of this site someone, some where can answer any question or know where to find the answer ! You got it the first time BaitBucket, , you only need a ounce of the startron in a gallon, 1 heathy capfull will do it and shake it up good and you are off to the races ! I'd make sure the blade guard is on tight and fire that bad boy up and get a whiff of that 2 stroke smoke, it is truely one of lifes little pleasures !  :thumbsup:

Ok so a gal of gas, one whole bottle of 100:1 Amsoil, and a cap of starttron?

Are there any local places to get Amsoil and starttron?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 06, 2011, 04:55 PM »
i goggled for my area and it said walmart in the boating section tor the startron.

surflizard

« Reply #49 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:19 PM »
I get the amsoil at auto zone and the startron at home depot, both amsoil and startron have dealer locators on their websites, just type in your zip and your area comes up !

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:51 PM »

Surf- not all "alcohols" are created equal.  Isopropyl alcohol is not the same thing as ethanol.  Isopropyl alcohol (also in Seafoam) actually stabilizes water w/in the gasoline so it does NOT separate.  Same thing in HEET.  So adding isopropyl acohol, such as stabil, or seafoam actually helps stabilize gas.  It's not the same thing as adding more "acohol" (you mean ethanol) to gas.  Just sayin'. 

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Nov 06, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Now I'm not saying startron isn't a great product, it is.  But it's not due to the "alcohol" content, or lack there of. 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #52 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:03 PM »
You might want to take a look at this stuff for storage purposes no ethanol at all!!   ;)2
http://www.trufuel50.com/

surflizard

« Reply #53 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I understand what you are saying Mark and your right they aren't the same chemical, but the one thing they do have in common it that they both attract water and that leads to Phase separation ! Phase separation leads to the Sludge in the fuel system we refer to as Ethe Snot, it plugs up fuel systems and attacks rubber fuel lines and gaskets and some types of plastic fuel tanks ! The only products out there that I have found that prevent phase separation of gas and diesel are Startron and Amsoil fuel treatment, they are the only 2 that don't have Isopropol Alcohol in them which contributes to the overall Problem ! All this info and the MSDS sheets for these products are there for the reading if anyone cares to check it out, Don't take my word for it, the results will suprise everyone just like it did me !

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:14 PM »
not quite certain i,m following this. i can go to advance & buy enuff 2 stroke oil to mix 10 gal of fuel for auger at 40:1 for bout 4 bucks. they,re open 7 days a wk. 8 til 7. so to save 2 oz. per gal (100:1) i have to look all over he** ,pay more &risk my warrenty. seems like expensive bragging rights. has anyone shown that this stuff makes my auger drill faster, or last longer?  my guiding principle has been K.I.S.S. since i first heard this saying.may be dense, but like i said, i don,t get it.

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I talked to the jiffy service manager about running the amsoil at 100:1 and he said absolutely not!!!! He said for conventional oil run 24:1 and for a good synthetic like amsoil run 40:1 to get optimal performance and longevity for the power unit.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:53 PM »
not quite certain i,m following this. i can go to advance & buy enuff 2 stroke oil to mix 10 gal of fuel for auger at 40:1 for bout 4 bucks. they,re open 7 days a wk. 8 til 7. so to save 2 oz. per gal (100:1) i have to look all over he** ,pay more &risk my warrenty. seems like expensive bragging rights. has anyone shown that this stuff makes my auger drill faster, or last longer?  my guiding principle has been K.I.S.S. since i first heard this saying.may be dense, but like i said, i don,t get it.
Well, As kindly as I can say this W N45. In your post, you stated, as I counted, ten different points and you only got eight wrong. No Worries, as the things are all in the above posts and it's just a very common misunderstanding, easily corrected by rereading the above posts to clear it all up.

It's not what you save that's so important, It's what it,ll cost you just a bit down the road of time.

Have a good season friend and may your auger last it too.

I talked to the jiffy service manager about running the amsoil at 100:1 and he said absolutely not!!!! He said for conventional oil run 24:1 and for a good synthetic like amsoil run 40:1 to get optimal performance and longevity for the power unit.

Maybe you might consider giving Amsoil a call.       (715)392-7101   CST during normal business hours

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Wow what a sore subject this is turning out to be.  I'm going to keep my 2 cents out of it.  However, I am switching to Amsoil Saber this year and will probably mix at around 70:1 with some Amsoil Quickshot.  Synthetics are far superior.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:14 PM »

Not all synthetics are created equal, I'm sure he's hearing the ratio and his mind goes blank with out considering what exactly Amsoil has done differently with their blend.  Too many guys are running this blend for it to be an issue, but I don't blame anyone for being cautious and running richer.  But I know a few who run 100:1 with Saber in every one of their lawn care engines and their augers and not one has popped an engine.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #59 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Wow what a sore subject this is turning out to be.  I'm going to keep my 2 cents out of it.  However, I am switching to Amsoil Saber this year and will probably mix at around 70:1 with some Amsoil Quickshot.  Synthetics are far superior.
Oh, just a little humor for flavor.

Careless with the Quickshot, it's for gas powered vehicles. May I suggest instead, you use Amsoil Gasoline Stabilizer for longer fuel storage.   http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ast.aspx     The complete story.

Here info on Amsoil Quickshot.   http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.