The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Counter-clockwise 8" Blades  (Read 4793 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Eskimo Counter-clockwise 8" Blades
« on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:06 AM »
  I have a 1977 Eskimo 8" COUNTER-Clockwise rotating auger with a serated blade that has an angled shim under it. It is held on with 2 bolts that go thru blade and shim to auger bit. Having trouble finding anything Eskimo for old parts, especially left hand turn! Local shop said when he gets his supply of ordered Jiffy blades in , that we could possibly match sumthing up. I don`t see how that would work with a counter-clockwise rotation, but so far it seems to be my only choice. Any help would be appreciated. Would really like to get the proper blade for this machine, cuz it runs the nutts and is reliable.

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Counter-clockwise 8" Blades
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2009, 08:31 AM »
 well jiffy augers also rotate counterclockwise, this is why he mentioned a jiffy blade.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Could you post a pics of your current blade? All Jiffy power ice augers turn counterclockwise.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Will do tommorow morn - It`s allready in the back of the van incase I hit Kittery trading post . I`ll snap a few pics and post em up in the morn -ty for yer help.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Will do tommorow morn - It`s allready in the back of the van incase I hit Kittery trading post . I`ll snap a few pics and post em up in the morn -ty for yer help.

KK-Had a busy day closing the pool. But here` are da pics of my blade / bit.

Wata ya think?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:36 PM »
The Jiffy ripper blades are not rounded off on the outside like the blade in the pic. What is the distance from hole center to hole center on the blade? I can measure the CTC of the holes on my 9" Jiffy for you. You could use a grinder and round the end of the blade off to match the old one. The Jiffy ripper blades are angled so you shouldn't have to worry about shimming the blade. I see quite a few of those old eskimos around here at a local lake.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2009, 05:56 PM »
The Jiffy ripper blades are not rounded off on the outside like the blade in the pic. What is the distance from hole center to hole center on the blade? I can measure the CTC of the holes on my 9" Jiffy for you. You could use a grinder and round the end of the blade off to match the old one. The Jiffy ripper blades are angled so you shouldn't have to worry about shimming the blade. I see quite a few of those old eskimos around here at a local lake.

Holes are 2 1/16" CTC on my machine`s bit/blade. Still think I`ll have to use the aluminum shim provided, my blade is angled also. Shop owner suggested grinding down edge to match-just gutta do it slow-lil at a time to keep the heat low. Check yer measurement on yer machine ,ifya could please. Looks like it`s gonna be the deal. I may have to fill one hole in with weld , grind it flat and redrill it to make it work, but whatever. If I can drill thru ice faster , I`ll be stoked. Ripper blades are suppoesed to be faster too.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:28 AM »
I have to thow out this question.

What are the 2 holes opposite the blade for???

It looks from the picture that the bit will come off for sharpening. And your current blade could easily be sharpened.

Here is a site that you might want to check out or call. This guy has auger parts, it might be worth a try.

www.drockicenter.com

651-639-0446

He's in Minnesota.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:13 AM »
My 9" measures 2 1/8" CTC and the OAL blade length is 4". You can just take a little out of the holes on the auger with a round file to make up for the small CTC diff. Getting a larger 9" or 10" blade and trimming it to fit may be the best best bet. Th eguy at the shop was right, you don't want to heat the blade up at if possible or it will take the temper out of the blade. The cutting edge is the most important spot to keep the temper though.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Nice pics DKFRY, ty! Yup, round chainsaw file, gain a 1/16" and break out the grinder.
Jackpine, the two holes u r referring to: inboard one is for a blade protector that bolts on for travel, the previous owner made his own, using a wingnut to spin it on/off. The outboard hole has a bolt that adjusts up and down with washers for proper blade cut angle? I have tried removing washers and it cut choppy, so I replaced them. I think as your blade wears, you are supposed to remove them so you retain the proper cut.
 I checked out website (may buy a lazer 7" hand auger for a back-up and first/early ice) proper link is >www.drockicecenter.com All the parts are for 1980 machine and newer- my machine is a 1977. Eskimo does`nt support it`s older augers, stupid move , they last forever. They are leaving a blade/parts market untapped.
I was giving the auger by a relative whos back will no longer let him step on the ice. He rarely used it, and it had sat for years. I put 100+ holes on it last season and it ran like a charm- cut did slow down, and gas tank fell off once(bracket broke=radiator clamp), but mechanically ,she`s a winner. I`m an OLDSKOOLFOOL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.