The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator Attacker Review ........  (Read 69460 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Icegator Attacker Review ........
« Reply #210 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Draz,  where did you get your switches and what kind are they...(forgive me if I missed this in an earlier post)....mine work fine but its never to soon to be prepared...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #211 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:19 PM »
I have the Attacker II, I went with the regular batteries, I did not look for the lithium, I was afraid if it was not a battery thing, I would be out even more money.
I only paid $16 per a battery and so far so good. I just Googled "power sonic 12v 9amp replacement". I will make it a point to check the connections before, during and after the season from now on, this way no problems. The new switches are much better, just pay attention, the location of the forward and reverse switches are opposite from the buttons on it.
Good Luck
So you "cut" or some other way, got the insulated case apart and did the new batteries?  Did you also find switches somewhere?
I wish IG would share his parts sources, seeing as he is not responsive to sell and ship parts.  I'm not sending any money to them unless I know the parts are going to be shipped.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #212 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:29 PM »
So you "cut" or some other way, got the insulated case apart and did the new batteries?  Did you also find switches somewhere?
I wish IG would share his parts sources, seeing as he is not responsive to sell and ship parts.  I'm not sending any money to them unless I know the parts are going to be shipped.

I cut the green tape in the back side and removed the 5 or 6 screws and just replaced them. I was able to get my switches from IG, after arguing with Greg for a couple of weeks. Greg covered them under warranty. Have you tried any of the IG dealers?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #213 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I cut the green tape in the back side and removed the 5 or 6 screws and just replaced them. I was able to get my switches from IG, after arguing with Greg for a couple of weeks. Greg covered them under warranty. Have you tried any of the IG dealers?
I have - no luck yet.  I have one more to try tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Offline maddog117

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I know this sounds funny , but try your local NAPA dealer . For parts, bearings , and batteries. My local guy has all kinds of connections with different suppliers . So I take him the part I need , and he'll try and match it. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #215 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Got a lithium battery pack from a dealer last week.  It came in a couple of days, opened the package and could not believe the "lack of weight"!  Feels like there is no battery inside the plastic.  Came with a new lithium charger and I have it charged up and ready to go.  Be out with it the rest of this week.  ;D

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #216 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Hey FFP

Glad to hear about your batteries. If you don't mind did you get them from a IG dealer or just a battery dealer? As for the charger, did you have to change out the charging port if not, what did you have to do. Also if you don't mind how much were the batteries?

thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #217 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:50 AM »
Hey FFP

Glad to hear about your batteries. If you don't mind did you get them from a IG dealer or just a battery dealer? As for the charger, did you have to change out the charging port if not, what did you have to do. Also if you don't mind how much were the batteries?

thanks
Got the Lithium battery pack from a dealer.  Came with the charger and connects to the same leads/connector that is used to plug into the power head.  $300 delivered.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:54 AM »
I also got my new AttackerII at Pheasent Country in Redfield.  Mike Rogers told me that he can fix any problem that arises with it.  Just get it back to him and he would take care of it right away.
Gunnerdog

Offline sidt87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Purchase the icegator as my first power auger this past October 2011 and it has been working great until the charger crapped out. Now I'm trying to get a new charger before my battery craps out and the ice is out in WI. Besides the charger issue, it has been nothing but an outstanding unit. Now I'm just hoping to get my charger as soon as possible!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #220 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:52 AM »
if you got a vex you can individually charge each battery with that charger in a pinch
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #221 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Purchase the icegator as my first power auger this past October 2011 and it has been working great until the charger crapped out. Now I'm trying to get a new charger before my battery craps out and the ice is out in WI. Besides the charger issue, it has been nothing but an outstanding unit. Now I'm just hoping to get my charger as soon as possible!
Yes - any of the 12V battery chargers will do.  I made one up from a small ups (uninterruptible power supply) that I use when in a pinch.  Just removed the SLA batteries from it and ran the leads to the outside with small alligator clips.  Works great and is designed for charging and maintaining those smallish SLA batteries.
I think you could probably use a automotive charger on low (like 2 amps) if you keep track of the charge level.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #222 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:20 AM »
You can use a "big" charger on the small batteries. When charging, the Charger dictates or drives voltage, the battery dictates the number of amps that it will "except". If the charger is a 30 amp charger, all it can do is make available that 30 amp, the battery will only draw the amps it can except...
That being said, here is the "FINE" print; if something goes wrong like a bad cell in the battery or over voltage on the charger, with a small battery, thing can heat up in a big hurry...
I use a large "Stepped Charger" all the time to charge small 7 and 9 amp batteries, so long as everything is in working order there is no problem. 

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #223 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:50 PM »
I wish I could afford the lithiums for my attacker, but I can tell you. I drilled twenty five holes per day on my fishing trip , with no sign of going down hill on the charge. My regular old batteries are three years old. I charge them upside down because I leave the shaft on and take off the auger to keep it from getting bent moving it around. I heard that I should not charge the batteries upside down, but can tell you its working for me. I do charge it once every couple of months in the summer. I keep it where I have to look at it everyday to remember.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #224 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I put mine in a 6 gal bucket  so I could charge them upright
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:48 AM »
I'vev got one of the original Icegators, will the lithium batteries work with it without modification?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #226 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:53 AM »
I'vev got one of the original Icegators, will the lithium batteries work with it without modification?
Voltage-wise - yes.  I think the only way you can get the lithium pack is in the "green" plastic housing.  I think they are only made for the IG Attacker II.  Not sure, but they could probably be adapted.  :unsure:

Offline sidt87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I have the attacker II with the lithium battery. As far as using other chargers, would I have to open up the battery cover and do in there? I don't think the battery adapter, where it connects to the charger, will let me use anything else since it has to clip onto each other. I added a picture of the connector to get a better sense of what I'm saying :P Sorry but I'm a noob at these kind of things! And nope no Vex! Thanks again guys.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #228 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:03 PM »
I have the attacker II with the lithium battery. As far as using other chargers, would I have to open up the battery cover and do in there? I don't think the battery adapter, where it connects to the charger, will let me use anything else since it has to clip onto each other. I added a picture of the connector to get a better sense of what I'm saying :P Sorry but I'm a noob at these kind of things! And nope no Vex! Thanks again guys.
I'm pretty sure the charger for the lithium pack is different than for lead acid.  Not sure but I think it's a 3-stage charger.  I purchased a lithium pack this year and it came with a charger.
Here's some info on charging lithium cells. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #229 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:18 PM »
The info that I gave is for lead acid, not Lithium...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I'm on year 10 with my IceGator Attacker. Still using the original SLA 12V 12ah batteries. But as I get older the weight is now making a difference. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Lithium 12V 10ah batteries and a charger from Amped Outdoors. Used the Ice Shanty discount code. They are smaller and I will have to make some spacers so the batteries don't slide around the Ice Gator mounting plates. Would drop my battery weight from 20 pounds to 6 pounds. 
jbird68

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Nov 11, 2019, 02:06 PM »
I'm on year 10 with my IceGator Attacker. Still using the original SLA 12V 12ah batteries. But as I get older the weight is now making a difference. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Lithium 12V 10ah batteries and a charger from Amped Outdoors. Used the Ice Shanty discount code. They are smaller and I will have to make some spacers so the batteries don't slide around the Ice Gator mounting plates. Would drop my battery weight from 20 pounds to 6 pounds.
This IceGator thread is almost 8 years old and you'll find that it's a new world on the ice.  It's astonishing that you've been using the original lead acid battery all these years. Put my beloved Attacker II on the shelf about 4 years ago and went, as so many have, to the new cordless drill power units. You give up 3"/sec. drill speed for 2"/sec. but you gain so much more in weight and convenience. Still fun to drill with the DeLorean of ice augers though.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Yeah,
I thought about going to the Strikemaster 40V. But to just reduce weight the lithium batteries were a way cheaper option. Especially since my Gator has not had any issues. 
jbird68

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #233 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Glad to see there are still some gators alive.  Put mine on the shelf 3 years ago and went the cordless drill route (mostly because of weight).  Have not regretted that move. Just makes me wonder where the ice-gator wojuld be today, if Greg could have just been a decent manager/business man.  Still feel sorry for those that got a bad deal.

Offline maddog117

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Nov 11, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Well I had my gator rebuilt last year from a shop that rebuilds starters .  They rebuilt the unit, put new brushes and switches.  Works great now. I still use it but I did get an eskimo gas unit. This one is an 8 " . I'm never going to buy a new gator, due to the poor customer service.  But I will keep it running , because I do like the way it drills.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Nov 16, 2019, 02:38 PM »
I got my Amped Outdoor batteries installed in my Ice Gator. They are a bit smaller than my original batteries. But I made spacers out of some mat flooring. Works pretty well. Now I just need some good ice.

jbird68

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Nov 16, 2019, 03:29 PM »
I'm never going to buy a new gator, due to the poor customer service.  But I will keep it running , because I do like the way it drills.

You're never going to buy a new Gator 'cause there ain't no new Gators and haven't been any made for several years since they went belly up and burned some customers badly.

Greg Pepple, the former owner and mad genius that invented and produced them was also probably the worst businessman I've ever encountered. Pity, because his augers were well

ahead of their time and are, of course, now just another dinosaur, along with gassers, in the age of the new high torque  cordless drills. Glad you're still using yours.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Nov 16, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Me too. It's sad what happened there. I really like mine. Probably like it more now that it's quite a bit lighter. That was really my only gripe. It has tons of torque and is fast. I almost broke down and bought a Strikemaster 40v. But tl new batteries were cheaper. Should have bought one last year when they were sold with a spare battery. Now the spare battery is $130.
jbird68

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Nov 16, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Me too. It's sad what happened there. I really like mine. Probably like it more now that it's quite a bit lighter. That was really my only gripe. It has tons of torque and is fast. I almost broke down and bought a Strikemaster 40v. But tl new batteries were cheaper. Should have bought one last year when they were sold with a spare battery. Now the spare battery is $130.

As one Gator Brother to another,  when your Attacker finally goes to that big slush pile in the sky, take a hard look at one of the cordless drill setups out there. You'll get a top quality and useful four season handyman tool. Frankly, if you think the Strikemaster 40v might need a spare battery, it probably does. I have a Milwaukee Fuel 5ah and a Ridgid Octane 9ah and have never come close to running out of juice on either one through some hard and thick Colorado ice. I don't bother taking a  spare battery along.
Your friend in Gatortude,
Stinky
                                                               Stinky

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #239 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:25 AM »
I would like to see a company pick up the 9.5in synthetic auger gator came out with

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.