The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator Attacker Review ........  (Read 69481 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Icegator Attacker Review ........
« Reply #150 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:37 AM »
anyone I offended please see my new post    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=193162.0
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #151 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:36 AM »
anyone I offended please see my new post    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=193162.0

I noticed that IG is no longer on the sponsor page, but you can still review here. Wonder what happened, too many bad reviews and they pulled them off? I suggest to people do your homework when buying a IG.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #152 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:46 AM »
They are still on the Home page Ad Banner, a reduced presence 

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 AM »
I noticed that IG is no longer on the sponsor page, but you can still review here. Wonder what happened, too many bad reviews and they pulled them off? I suggest to people do your homework when buying a IG.

I'd venture a guess that potential litigation was involved the removal of the IG board. With that being said, it is pretty hard to "do your homework" on a product when the majority of the comments about that product have disappeared.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #154 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:47 AM »
They responded to an email from me, that I sent Thursday, on Friday.  They are still "here".  They are shipping orders and taking orders for parts not in stock.  They were honest with me and told me everything was backordered and due to ship the end of November.  I was after a lithium cell pack for my IG Attacker, told me that if I wanted one this season, to get my order in via their web page, before November 1st.
So, in all honesty - things have not changed (for the better or worse) as far as I can tell.

Offline WyoIceFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Got my Attacker a couple of years ago. I have the forward / reverse switch which has only stuck on one occasion (very scary ).  It stuck when I was using the reverse to clear the hole.  My question is -- Can I just disconnect the Reverse side of the switch (since I don't use it any more) and put a spring on that side to return the forward side of switch back upward?  Would this eliminate any potential future switch problems?  I love my Attacker but looking to improve on the switch I presently have.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #156 on: Nov 24, 2011, 06:59 PM »
if you can get the new switches they are much better, I had the same problem. Greg did warranty mine, took a while, but that is another story. The new switches are nice though. Good luck.

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Do the new switches have Reverse?  I've read here that they do not but yet thier website says the new models DO have the fwd/reverse option.  Do the models listed on the website not contain the newest switches?  I'm thinking really hard about buying one here in a week or so and just want to learn everything I can before I pull the trigger. 

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #158 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:40 AM »
BWB, I beleive they do. As far as buying one, I can not recommend that you do. There have been a lot of people that have had problems with their unit and mainly the service provided by them. There was other post on IS that have been locked, that described all the BS that people had to go through to get theirs fixed, some still have not. Others will tell you they have had no problems, which is great, but I found that there was more bad than good. As for mine, it works correctly now, but as for IG, I will NEVER do business with them again. Just my .02.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #159 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:09 AM »
I've been through the BS with the company and yes their customer service is Poor at best, but I'm ruined for any other ice auger, I love mine and can't stand gas augers....the new propane ones look interesting,...but I assume they are still noisy...  nothing bugs me more than being on a beautiful frozen lake in the quite calm air fishing up a storm and then having that quite and calm broken by the buzz of a gas powered auger... just seems out of place to me...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #160 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I am one of the guys that has had absolutely no problems with my IG or the service.  I requested the new switches and got them in the mail in less than a week.  Had the wrong adapter for my Nils - had that in less than a week.  I have no complaints and will recommend them to anyone.  They require some careful use, in other words; I believe they are easy to abuse.  Low battery pack, dull auger = do not run it.  Don't store it in the ice and snow and slush on the lake.  Treat it well and it will perform to more than most folks expectations.  The latest units in production DO have forward and reverse switches.  There was talk about abandoning the reverse but it never came to be; at least I never saw it.
Anyways, I'll stick by my IG with the 8" NILs powerpoint auger.  I carry the hand crank just in case I do have an issue.

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #161 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:45 AM »
I am another one who has had no problems with my Icegator and I got mine 30 days later than fishforpike, other than a wire coming out of the quick disconnect  between the power head and the battery pack.   That took me about a 1/2 hour or so to fix as I took both the male and female ends of the plugs off the wires and recrimped and soldered the connector ends to the wire.  This will be my 3rd season on my Attacker II and lead acid battery pack.

Some people can have a brand new piece of equipment at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day that same piece of equipment is ready for the scrap yard.  Yet on the other hand other people can have the same piece of equipment, use it just as much as the people I mentioned first and after several seasons of use it still looks a preforms as though it were brand new.

I guess what I am saying is if you are going to slam it around, abuse it or do things with it that the operation directions say not to do yeah you might have problems.

I have Sthil chainsaws and so far I would compare my Icegator quality to that of Sthil.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #162 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Gee it looks like Im not alone this year!!!   I also have had 0 problems since the first year they came out!!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #163 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Gee it looks like Im not alone this year!!!   I also have had 0 problems since the first year they came out!!

Yeah, and I think you have had them 3 or 4 seasons longer than I have.   You are one of the reasons that I have a Icegator.   Because I said, hmmm that looks better than a gas auger but I will wait and watch.   And some of your reports along with others, are what lead me to make the move in "09" to purchase my Attacker II. 

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #164 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:40 PM »
As I have mentioned on here before, I bought a Gator right after they were introduced many Winters ago and have had ZERO-ZERO problems with mine. I have been running it each Winter with my 2nd  8"  Lazer auger bit  and 2 new batteries and it just keeps performing like the day I first got it.When it first arrived, the charger was defective. I called Greg and 2 days later was a BN charger at my door.Like others said, treat it well and you should have no problems.Sorry tohers have had problems with theirs and hope you get it straightened out as they are a quality unit that does an EXCELLENT job of drilling.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #165 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:30 PM »

I have been waiting for you to show up on this. I am glad to see that everyone is doing well with their unit as am I to, now. But you also know there was a lot of complaints on here regarding IG, from product (bad, used looking charges, batteries and wires connections) to customer service (no response, very poor communication) and now they (the posts) are all gone. I find it funny that all the customer reviews be it good or bad are all gone. I take care of my augers, still have the same gas auger from when I started 12 years ago, never dropped, plugs change every year, always drain gas at end of season, blades always sharpened. I was sold on one IG, when I went out with a charter here in NH, who is also a dealer for IG, he let me try it and it worked great. I was way down the list to get one, I ended up ordering mine from a MI sports store. Got it late in the season and was only able to use it 2 times before end of the season and it worked great. The following year is when my problems happened, switches stuck in reverse, battery crimps not tight came loose, batteries did not last that long (yes I did charge through the off season). Greg the owner is not a pleasant person to deal with, and that is MY opinion. He is also not a good businessman. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws MS270 and a MS310, both my saws have run great from the start and never had a problem would not compare them to my Stihls at all, especially not in customer service, be it from Stihl itself or a local dealer. I hope all of yours run great with no problems and I wish no problems upon you. It's just a lot of money to put out and would hate to see someone loose out. Once again this is just my .02

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #166 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I have to add one other little bit of info here...if you watch ICE MEN on VS(which I'm sure anyone who is on this site does religiously) pay attention to the auger that Yatsik and Zibby(no clue if this is how their names are spelled or if I'm even pronouncing them correctly, no insult intended here) use...I'll give you a couple of guesses....and one hint...its GREEN!

Offline Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:34 AM »

X2

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:16 PM »
i gotta add one to the naysayers.  joke of a company with a pretty deadly product, once i fixed it.  pick up the damn phone...

anyone think of any reasons the old icegator posts would have been removed other than that the majority were negative?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:29 PM »
i gotta add one to the naysayers.  joke of a company with a pretty deadly product, once i fixed it.  pick up the damn phone...

anyone think of any reasons the old icegator posts would have been removed other than that the majority were negative?

I understand they scaled back on their sponsorship here.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:43 PM »
I considered buying an Ice Gator a few years back because I liked the idea of a "quiet" auger.  Especially for those early Sunday mornings out on a few lakes I fish where there were several houses and I didnt want to be the inconsiderate guy who would start up their auger at  5:30am and wake the local residents.

A good friend of mine bought one a few years ago and had nothing but problems with it. He also said he didnt care for the customer service. He had to replace the switch 4x and every time it would eventually "stick" and the auger would keep running and not turn off?

I know all this to be true because I was there and several times we would use my Jiffy auger to drill the rest of our holes. He said after replacing the last couple switches it was very difficult to even get in touch with I.G ? and that when he finally did recieve them the season was just about over?

From other posts Ive read and researched over the past couple years, It sounds like early on in their manufacturing they hade several issues/problems with their product? Supposedy now they have resolved those issues, but you still hear negative reports from previous buyers? 

I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt...But being as expensive as they are (Buying jst the head and Connecter running $400-$600 alone and then in addition you need to purchase a hand auger and blades which is an additional $80-150 depending on which one you go with... Seems to pretty a BIG chunck of change to gamble on! I also hear that the new lithium heads are the lightest things going? But being a Lithium battery, Ive been told you can expect you'll need to replace it after 2-3 years, which is an addtional cost to an already expensive auger! Just my $.02 ::) 

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:45 AM »
And now this site / in conjunction witha horrible company...is removing truthful posts that people like me are posting to protect people from an awful purchase. IMO that's pretty under handed.

I got my jiffy 30 a new bit and am happy again. I can actually use this auger...unlike the one that ice gator sent back to me still broken.

Thanks for making me pay TWICE for that garbage ice gator auger!

And I left a dozen phone messages...three four emails...not even a "bugger off"

Sad....I'll start telling all I can about this experience on the ice

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #172 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:49 AM »
And now this site / in conjunction witha horrible company...is removing truthful posts that people like me are posting to protect people from an awful purchase. IMO that's pretty under handed.

I got my jiffy 30 a new bit and am happy again. I can actually use this auger...unlike the one that ice gator sent back to me still broken.

Thanks for making me pay TWICE for that garbage ice gator auger!

And I left a dozen phone messages...three four emails...not even a "bugger off"

Sad....I'll start telling all I can about this experience on the ice

Good fishin'!

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that might do well in your driveway.   ;)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:57 AM »
No thanks, the ice gator will make a good enough lawn ornament. 
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #174 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:02 AM »
My point is (and I am truly sorry that your gator is not what it should be) that every once in a while there happens along a lemon - I have 38k$ one in my driveway.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Dec 17, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Ah, I getcha!

Ya I have no problems running into a Lemon or two

I just hate when the ignorant person squeezing the lemons is
Ignoring my pleas that it's really apple juice!

Off analogy. But I can't say what I really want about these people. Well except to all the folks on the ice, that word "gator" will make my puke in my mouth a lil, everytime I hear the word

Good fishin'

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #176 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:21 PM »
wonder how long it will be before they lock this thread. I checked their facebook page the other day. Some good, some bad.
Quote from FB  "I considered becoming a dealer myself, got a nice bait and tackle shop in upstate NY, on the shores of Chaumont Bay, but after reading all the negative reviews on them on a well known ice fishing website, I decided against it."

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I have an Icegator; bought it 2 seasons ago.  The first season it was great I paired it with my 6" lazer and it treated me well.  I used fishing the NAIFC championships that year.  The season next I noticed some wiring issues and contacted CS.  They got me the necessary Parts to repair my unit.  So am I happy with my product?  Yes and no.  The auger works fine and I am happy with the way they treated me.  However the IG is too friggin heavy.  I like the strikelite by strikemaster and it's weight.  So I maybe in the market for a Strikelite if Illinois ever gets ice!
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #178 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:49 PM »
I have an Icegator; bought it 2 seasons ago.  The first season it was great I paired it with my 6" lazer and it treated me well.  I used fishing the NAIFC championships that year.  The season next I noticed some wiring issues and contacted CS.  They got me the necessary Parts to repair my unit.  So am I happy with my product?  Yes and no.  The auger works fine and I am happy with the way they treated me.  However the IG is too friggin heavy.  I like the strikelite by strikemaster and it's weight.  So I maybe in the market for a Strikelite if Illinois ever gets ice!
Get the lithium battery pack?  :)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:32 AM »
wonder how long it will be before they lock this thread. I checked their facebook page the other day. Some good, some bad.
Quote from FB  "I considered becoming a dealer myself, got a nice bait and tackle shop in upstate NY, on the shores of Chaumont Bay, but after reading all the negative reviews on them on a well known ice fishing website, I decided against it."

That kind of info is what I love to read. I'm passing on already this season, how this company essentially sold me an inferior product, I paid though the nose for shipping. They were not even organized enough to remember to write "gift"/repair on the box....yup shipping got me for the purchase TWICE....then dee and the ice gator folks sent my unit back STILL BROKEN. Sad, they essentially then ignored all further communications from me.

Thanks for nothing Ice Gator!!

Good fishin'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.