Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75696 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Awesome test!!

And thanks for the feedback on the battery looseness/play.  ;)

Thanks for noticing.  :)

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great job on the comparison!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Thanks for the Video DTro. Very well done. So the Octane did do 50% more which is higher than I expected.
<===Lefty===

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks, Actually about 35% more holes on the Ridgid.   The battery is about 45% bigger so it's about what I expected.

I guess the best thing to take away from the video is this:

Both good drills that will work great and based on 15" of ice and using the 8" KDrill

690" of ice with the Ridgid and 9ah battery
450" of ice with the DeWalt and 5ah battery

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Excellent on-ice review DTro!

Correction on the math ... 9Ah is 80% greater than 5Ah (9Ah/5Ah x 100% = 180%).

The DeWalt cut more inches of ice per (rated) Ah capacity than the Ridgid. However what it comes down to for most is the overall 'bang-for-the-buck' which of course includes several factors, the most significant to any particular person may or may not be the initial up-front cost. I purchased the DeWalt product (same as depicted in the video) because I was already utilizing the DeWalt 20V platform (which I'm happy with) and the deal at the time l was just too good to pass up. We rarely get great deals up here north of the border.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Good review DRto.

Not knocking the KDrill, but have to say it still surprises me how many more holes I can drill with the Nils. I did 136 holes, 1380 inches, 115 ft of ice with the Ridgid. Them chipper blades must really grab.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Cue the wardrobe montage music please ...great video DTro..real world anticipated situations ...thank you for your time and effort ..I like that you were using the Kdrill the way it is recommended/intended to be used ...too many videos in which the Kdrill is improperly used ...thus not giving a true head to head auger drill unit comparison . Wrote off the Ridgid Octane based on the last video... which had cut out issues ...now it seems to be a non issue ..do you think it may be because your utilizing the blue tooth function by chance ...just a thought .Once again you have helped many of Ice Shanty members w/o even knowing it . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
another great video DTro!  thanks
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was good video. Well done!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks guys, I would have really liked to do the flexvolt 9ah battery on the DeWalt, but it is what it is.  I think at some point we are splitting hairs about a few seconds or a few more holes. 

The funny thing is that in a year or two all this will be obsolete and we will be debating the latest and greatest.  We the consumers are winners with all these choices. 

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drilled lots holes yesterday. I had a lot of cut out, because of so much ice building on my auger. Drill few holes set it down, drill few more, over the course of hours on ice, the ice kept building up on the auger. Had to take it in shanty the thaw the head off lol then drill wouldn't cut out. To me its little annoying, but not enough to take it back. Because my other augers would ice up too.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Drilled lots holes yesterday. I had a lot of cut out, because of so much ice building on my auger. Drill few holes set it down, drill few more, over the course of hours on ice, the ice kept building up on the auger. Had to take it in shanty the thaw the head off lol then drill wouldn't cut out. To me its little annoying, but not enough to take it back. Because my other augers would ice up too.
Yeah icing up is not good even for a Gas auger. Had that problem and it wouldn't cut at all just walk all over the place until I knock off the ice.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
after you get done drilling run the drill/auger in the air to fling water off the blades.ice cant form with no water on the blades.it works pretty good and i have to do that with my gas augers too.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
after you get done drilling run the drill/auger in the air to fling water off the blades.ice cant form with no water on the blades.it works pretty good and i have to do that with my gas augers too.

<===Lefty===

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a quick update from my morning. Was -10F, drilled 10 holes through 16” of ice in 20 minutes or so. No problem with the cold temps. Didn’t baby the battery at all. Was on my auger, in my jet sled all morning. Chewed through the 16” of ice without a problem!! Still haven’t found anything negative to say about this drill on my end!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Got a chance to get out and drill with what is my second octane. I had returned my first one because it would cut out on every hole and wouldnt drill again until I pulled the battery. This drill did not have those same issues. It did cut out once when the auger hung up on the bottom but releasing the trigger and squeezing it again did the trick. No battery removal required. It was a hard hang up as well. I was also feathering it trying to go slow so that probably didnt help. Anyway I am happy with #2 so far. Running it on a clam plate with a 7" lazer.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
For anyone that cares, here's a link to my new thread detailing my custom drill adapter:

Well, I've spent most of the week doing a rematch between the Ridgid and the DeWalt.  The Ridgid showed up to battle this time. :) 
&feature=youtu.be

Great follow-up review DTro!!!  :thumbsup:  That definitely more closely resembles real-world usage IMO.  Thanks for going the extra mile and dedicating yourself for 4 days to get this done!

My drill is going strong!  After cutting over 30 holes in 7-8" of ice yesterday, I now have about 75 holes under my belt (20 in 5", the remainder in 7-8"), and my drill says it has 70% capacity remaining.  @) Impressive.  I actually felt sorry for the guy that showed up yesterday with an old 8" Jiffy, and took ~1:30 to cut holes...  (Yeah, really.  A minute and 30 seconds.  After his 3rd of 6 holes, we started timing him.  :'()
Tight lines!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Someone was next to me other day. Gas auger. Started that up. I said wth hell is that. Triple turbo charged auger...guy said it's a old jiffy. lol I said that sob is freaking loudest thing I ever heard. Then after they left, we limited out on crappie lol

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cut 30 or so holes in 6-8" of ice today. Battery was 70% when I got inside. I do notice the chuck has a fair amt of play in it.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I actually felt sorry for the guy that showed up yesterday with an old 8" Jiffy, and took ~1:30 to cut holes...  (Yeah, really.  A minute and 30 seconds.  After his 3rd of 6 holes, we started timing him.  :'()

I got a clip of the same thing. My buddy was drilling, I came into the frame, kicked out some snow, drilled with my octane, cleared the hole before he finished his.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cut 30 or so holes in 6-8" of ice today. Battery was 70% when I got inside. I do notice the chuck has a fair amt of play in it.

One of the tool review channels on YouTube had a chuck issue. If yours keeps getting loose it may have the same thing. Their replacement was fine.

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
So I made myself a home made ice master auger adapter, I thought about just buying one but after what my new Octane did to my aluminum adapter seen in the picture, I wasn't sure if it was steel or aluminum, so I purchased a stainless steel one, pic 2 from Vendetta Precision EBAY. went to home depot and purchased a IPS Pipe Escutcheon 1 inch, Did have to take my Dremell and widen the hole a little to spin freely , a couple eye bolts and a piece of paracord .I did have to remove the wing nut and use a stronger grade bolt , one that wont hit the eyebolts as it spins.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips

Mine has developed a little bit of rotational play.  It's not bad, nothing that worries me (yet anyway).  I would expect that once the gears start wearing in a little bit, there is going to be a bit of backlash.  If it gets any worse, I'll report back.  I'm not worried one bit, have 90 days to exchange, and the LSA worst case.

One of the tool review channels on YouTube had a chuck issue. If yours keeps getting loose it may have the same thing. Their replacement was fine.

Interesting.  Link to video?

I got a clip of the same thing. My buddy was drilling, I came into the frame, kicked out some snow, drilled with my octane, cleared the hole before he finished his.

LOL! ;D
Tight lines!

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
So I made myself a home made ice master auger adapter, I thought about just buying one but after what my new Octane did to my aluminum adapter seen in the picture, I wasn't sure if it was steel or aluminum, so I purchased a stainless steel one, pic 2 from Vendetta Precision EBAY. went to home depot and purchased a IPS Pipe Escutcheon 1 inch, Did have to take my Dremell and widen the hole a little to spin freely , a couple eye bolts and a piece of paracord .I did have to remove the wing nut and use a stronger grade bolt , one that wont hit the eyebolts as it spins.

Boy, I don't know...  :unsure:  I'm usually all about paracord, but if that piece somehow gets caught while drilling, it would probably rip off the T-handle, and could become a whirling rope of dismemberment with the eye bolts attached on each end.  :o  :wacko:
Tight lines!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Noted - thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Boy, I don't know...  :unsure:  I'm usually all about paracord, but if that piece somehow gets caught while drilling, it would probably rip off the T-handle, and could become a whirling rope of dismemberment with the eye bolts attached on each end.  :o  :wacko:
thinking the same.
bungee is used on the icemaster 2. it's easy to get and won't cut your fingers off. it keeps pressure on the spinning disc. i would drill holes (already made) for the bungee and tie a knot under the holes to keep the bungee from pulling out. ditch the bolts and paracord.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So I'm about a month into using my Ridgid Octane Hammer drill, and so far I'm very pleased with it. In this video I cut 10 holes through 18" of ice, and talk about my other cutting totals I've had this season. If your looking to get into a cordless drill for an auger power head, check out this video.

If interested, click on the link:

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for another great video Pike Fisherman! I have really been pleased with my Ridgid Octane with 9.0 battery and Mora 7 auger so far this season as well. I have yet to experience the drill cutting out and have drilled 40+ holes in 12 inches of ice in one outing. I ended up buying another 9.0 battery on sale but can’t decide if I should keep it as I have 2 new 4.0 batteries as well...

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
I will add that I was set on buying the Milwaukee fuel 1200lb hammer drill as an upgrade from my 700lb brushless Hitachi but decided on the Octane due to the great sale and don’t regret my purchase. If I already owned other Milwaukee tools I would have went that route because overall I think Milwaukee does offer nicer power tools, but I am not a carpenter so I was buying this drill and battery for my auger... didn’t take long for me to buy a Ridgid 1/2 impact now which will be nice to bring with when towing the camper

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I popped about 40 holes with mine on Sat and it ended up dying a few hours later when I tried one last hole.  I think the -15 wind chill may have had a little to do with it, lol.

I do notice that when I hesitate on the trigger it will start for a second, then cut out.  Wondering if my trigget may be bad or something. When it stops I have to wait like 2 seconds before it will come back on....I have the app but cant find where the error reports go? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.