Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75916 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. MID SEASON UPDATE!!!
« Reply #390 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:06 PM »
Quick question for those having shut down issues with their drills / batteries could useing a non blue tooth octane battery effect preformance ?? I know there a few electric circuits in those new blue tooth octane batteries has any one tried with say a standard 4 or 6 amp battery??  to see if it still shut off??  I have not run in to this problem yet with mine and I am looking to get more batteries and was wondering if I should go new 9 amp or older 6 amp.. any how  was just wondering if switchung batteries worked to solve problem??

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #391 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:42 AM »
anyone having issues, just swap it out. i highly doubt anyone bench tests tools for qc. it's a hassle free 90 day return/exchange policy at hd.

the 6 amp is the same as the 9 amp being it is the octane battery. the 6 amp is 140$. two 9 amps are 200$. both deals have limited 3 year warranty. the lifetime warranty is important to me. i would buy another 9 amp battery and charger and get another free tool to keep the lsa. they never made an older style 6 amp, only 4 amp and smaller.

6 amp octane
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Bluetooth-6-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-AC8400806/304350782

two 9 amp's
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Bluetooth-9-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-AC800/304829433

9 amp and charger kit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-Charger-Kit-AC801/304740781

this says you loose 65% plus power using non octane batteries. kind of like putting regular fuel in a race car. that would make it a 455 inch pound drill with out octane batteries.
about the octane tech:
The OCTANE Brushless 18-Volt Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only) features High Performance Brushless Motors and Advanced Electronics that provide Best-in-Class Power and Intelligence. While providing increased performance with all RIDGID 18-Volt batteries, OCTANE tools provide maximum performance when paired with OCTANE batteries (not included). Paired with an OCTANE battery (not included), this tool gives an Industry-Leading 1,300 in./lbs. of Torque and Over 65% More Power when needed for High Demand Applications. This means, under heavy loads, the tool talks to the battery to determine when to draw maximum power to the motor, allowing the tool to increase performance and finish the task.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #392 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:24 AM »
There is a guy commenting on one of my videos that he is having cutout issues and says they are telling him it's user error and having a hard time with HD/Ridgid.  Just thought i'd add it for the discussion here.

-----------------------

What is the model number on the Ridgid hammer drill you are using?  The overload switch cuts off power to my brand new Ridgid hammer drill when I start drilling at low speeds.  Just not right.  I am currently fighting Home Depot and Ridgid over this design flaw.  They are calling it a user issue when I have never had an issue with any DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita drill I've used.

▼ 

DTroFishOn
16 hours ago
Model #R8611506B I used mine with the KDrill on Sat.  15 holes though 18" of ice.  No issues.

▼ 

Gui Jo
13 hours ago
@DTroFishOn Thank you.   I had model R86116.  Must be a newer model with faulty circuit board or switch from production.  5 of 6 at the store did the same thing.  Only 1 floor model worked properly... Very upset with Ridgid right now.  They are telling me that it is a user issue.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #393 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 AM »
anyone having issues, just swap it out. i highly doubt anyone bench tests tools for qc. it's a hassle free 90 day return/exchange policy at hd.

the 6 amp is the same as the 9 amp being it is the octane battery. the 6 amp is 140$. two 9 amps are 200$. both deals have limited 3 year warranty. the lifetime warranty is important to me. i would buy another 9 amp battery and charger and get another free tool to keep the lsa. they never made an older style 6 amp, only 4 amp and smaller.

6 amp octane
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Bluetooth-6-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-AC8400806/304350782

two 9 amp's
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Bluetooth-9-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-AC800/304829433

9 amp and charger kit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-Charger-Kit-AC801/304740781

this says you loose 65% plus power using non octane batteries. kind of like putting regular fuel in a race car. that would make it a 455 inch pound drill with out octane batteries.
about the octane tech:
The OCTANE Brushless 18-Volt Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only) features High Performance Brushless Motors and Advanced Electronics that provide Best-in-Class Power and Intelligence. While providing increased performance with all RIDGID 18-Volt batteries, OCTANE tools provide maximum performance when paired with OCTANE batteries (not included). Paired with an OCTANE battery (not included), this tool gives an Industry-Leading 1,300 in./lbs. of Torque and Over 65% More Power when needed for High Demand Applications. This means, under heavy loads, the tool talks to the battery to determine when to draw maximum power to the motor, allowing the tool to increase performance and finish the task.

So ware does it say it loses 65%power with out useing octane batteries?? I curious ware it says that??  If you know ohms law or any electrical princeaples you relize there no way to do as you said.. if you do know your electrial think about it long enough  you will relize it.. so if it's 18 volt 1.5 amp versus 18 volt 9 amp all that will happen is the battery will be used faster on the 1.5 amp versus the 9 amp.. please let me know ware it say the drill loses 65 percent power with non octane batteries??

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #394 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Product Overview
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

So ware does it say it loses 65%power with out useing octane batteries?? I curious ware it says that??  If you know ohms law or any electrical princeaples you relize there no way to do as you said.. if you do know your electrial think about it long enough  you will relize it.. so if it's 18 volt 1.5 amp versus 18 volt 9 amp all that will happen is the battery will be used faster on the 1.5 amp versus the 9 amp.. please let me know ware it say the drill loses 65 percent power with non octane batteries??

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #395 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Over 65% more power in high demand applications when paired with an OCTANE battery
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #396 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:27 PM »
also, you would need to know what the motor amp rating is before you could calculate that assumption. we know the motor is rated 18 vdc, but we do not know what their rated amps are for it. lets take a guess that it is a 6 amp rated motor and if you use a 10 amp battery it still uses up 6 amps depending on the load. now if you use a 4 amp, it will use 4 amps and still function, but not at peek/rated performance. these values are rated per hour by the way. that's why they are rated X amp hours. as you seem to know more amp hours equals longer run times also. voltage carries amperage. that's why the 18 vdc batteries will function on it.

ridgids own statement says "paired with the octane battery (tells me it's a 6 amp motor because that is the smallest octane battery) that is will provide 65% plus more power". they also are saying compared to their older tech batteries in their own statements. so if you don't use octane batteries, this means it can not provide that 65% more power based on ridgids own statements.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:48 PM »
That 65%more power then standard battery is what your referring too.??  I am sure it is..

Also they are 100% compatible with all 18 volt rigid batteries.. just got to read futter down on that link you gave 3300..

If you think about it long enough a 3 amp battery is 65% less then a 9 amp battery is what there referring to.. 

Buy the way the guys haveing the drill shut off is more then likely caused the intelligent technology In the blue tooth version  probably sensing too much drain etc and shuts battery off.. this is why I was wondering if any one compared the older battery too new for those have the shut off issues ??  Cause it might be a overly sensitive circuit on the battery causeing the problem?? If that's the case I would avoI'd buying blue tooth smart batteries for augerkng.. if that's the case?? only thing you can do is try to narrow down the problem..   by process of  elimination... if it the smart battery or drill??  Just by useing a older battery with out smart technology with the newer drill .. that simple to narrow down the problem componet..

so if some one tries the older battey on a octane hammer drill with a k drill let me know if you have this problenm with the newer octane battery and if problem went away when you used older non smart technology 18volt batteries??  I don't see a problem doing this cause the link 3300 just gave says it 100%,compatible with all 18 volt ridgid batteries..

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #398 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:19 PM »
cut at least 50 8 inch holes the last 2 days with a new lazer and auxiliary handle with 3 bars left on the battery that's been left out in my vehicle for days. i am super glad i returned the wobbly clam plate! this set up drills so fast it throws water up to my knees and makes you want to kill it before it gets into the water. it reminds me of the icegator big time!
there is absolutely zero hang up issues getting thru the ice because it turns the auger way to fast to have any issue like that. i kept checking to make sure it was in speed 1 because of how fast it was cutting ice and throwing it and water.
puts my gen5x 780 inch pound ridgid to shame. if they made a 10 inch auger that would fit it, it would cut fast too.
Great review of your experience 3300. Just burried mine in 25" of ice Sunday. I filmed a quick video and it will be up tomorrow.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #399 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Has anyone with the Octane tried it with a 10" lazer bit? Just bought a wheelhouse and like the larger hole for that application, but wondering if I have to dust off the old SM Electra.  Would be nice just packing the Ridgid for cranking the wheels and drilling the holes, but understand there is a limit to what these things can/should do.
Didnt know Lazer made a 10". Is it a hand auger, or their gas powerhead auger. Last I knew Nils only had a 10' hand auger.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #400 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Used my ridgid octane / fin bore set up for first time since early ice yesterday just to see what it would do now that we are up to 2' of ice in Maine.  Only drilled a few holes to jig out of.  Trigger seemed very finicky, one hole bailed right through no problem, another one would quit and then when you let off trigger and start again would go.  Almost seems like there is a difference to when you have auger pressed against ice vs. hovering slightly above.  Weird.
Interesting. I have noticed sometimes if I stop mid cut, that it is a little more sluggish.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #401 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:55 PM »
we know the motor is rated 18 vdc, but we do not know what their rated amps are for it.
I posted earlier on this, they are really not 18 VDC motors.
They are brushless motors which are a whole different animal.
To the best of my knowledge all cordless power tool lithium-ion batteries are in fact between 19.5 and 21.5 VDC (can depend on fully charged or at rest/dead).
18 volt(ish) batteries went by the way side with nicad and NiMH batteries.
That's one of the reasons why if you use a Ridgid nicad (18v ish) battery in a drill and then use a lithium-ion (20 v ish) battery in the same drill you will have more power at the chuck. Milwaukee marketed their cordless that way when the started the switch to lith-ion batteries way back.
Most company's Ridgid, Milwaukee and a few others still call their batteries 18 v to not confuse people. DeWalt markets theirs as 20v max because after all they have higher voltage batteries than everyone else, right? Wrong.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #402 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Didnt know Lazer made a 10". Is it a hand auger, or their gas powerhead auger. Last I knew Nils only had a 10' hand auger.

Probably wondering on the 10 inch power head bit it sounds like is my guess ??  They do need a adaptor to use I gor so much going on have not had a chance to find one yet and play with it..

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #403 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Yes, it is a 10" bit from a Lazer Pro powerhead. I'll grab an adapter this week and give it a try this weekend; It certainly won't be the lightest setup with the rather beefy flighting, but that's not an issue when I'm only moving 12' for 7 holes! I'll report back...

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Just a quick video of the Octane ripping through 25" of ice.

Link to the footage:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #405 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Should cut down the weight a bit, prob get 20 more holes per battery now...

Hahahha!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #406 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Nice video pike fishermen!!  I am wondering if the guys with k-drills cut ice that easily and fast as your nils?

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #407 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:44 PM »
.....and I am wondering if the guys with a Nils think it is so much better to get a hole punched & save a whole .5 seconds?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #408 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:46 PM »
.....and I am wondering if the guys with a Nils think it is so much better to get a hole punched & save a whole .5 seconds?

YES!  :P

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #409 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I like the 2-3x more holes per charge much more than the cutting speed advantage

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #410 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:57 AM »

....and I wonder if all kdrill onwers are sad they got lied to about their auger size, the crappy flight design, the cost, and the kdrills ability to suck battery juice like a lush on a Friday night.

I've cut with both, I like both...both make holes in ice. The nils in my opinion is better.

It is actually 8" and the nils is much smoother probably because the flights actually work. Better than that the nils flight length matches normal human size.  I always wondered if they made the kdrill for short people.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #411 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:32 AM »
If someone could show me the Nils drilling 3 holes overlapping in a triangle pattern without wrecking the blade or walking into the adjacent hole I'll buy one tomorrow, until then I'll deal with slower drilling and more power consumption.  I beat the living tar out of the so called cheap plastic flighting and it's taking it like a champ. 

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #412 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:46 AM »
If someone could show me the Nils drilling 3 holes overlapping in a triangle pattern without wrecking the blade or walking into the adjacent hole I'll buy one tomorrow, until then I'll deal with slower drilling and more power consumption.  I beat the living tar out of the so called cheap plastic flighting and it's taking it like a champ.

I've wanted to try drilling overlapping holes with my Nils PP head, but I'm afraid of screwing it up and then I'd have to use my crappy backup auger until I got the Nils head back from Frank.  Still might give it a shot.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #413 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:01 AM »
I've wanted to try drilling overlapping holes with my Nils PP head, but I'm afraid of screwing it up and then I'd have to use my crappy backup auger until I got the Nils head back from Frank.  Still might give it a shot.

DN
DN, just out of curiousity, what's your crappy backup auger?

I accidentally drilled overlapping holes last weekend with my Nils non-power point and lived to tell the tale.  I was trying to drill a hole for my transducer, but accidentally got too close to my first hole and they overlapped.  Didn't seem to damage my cutting head.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #414 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:07 AM »
DN, just out of curiousity, what's your crappy backup auger?

I accidentally drilled overlapping holes last weekend with my Nils non-power point and lived to tell the tale.  I was trying to drill a hole for my transducer, but accidentally got too close to my first hole and they overlapped.  Didn't seem to damage my cutting head.

My backup is a 7 1/2" K-Drill.

I might give it a shot then.  Would be nice to have my transducer very near, but not in the same hole that I'm fishing through.

DN

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

luv2fish2

« Reply #415 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:17 AM »
it always seems it's a p#$^ing match about auger's and drill's i think they all have their strong point's guy's that like nils stick with them guy's that like k drill go for it i'm glad that there are options myself some excel in diff situations ,speed ,longevity , weight , size , ease of replacement pieces etc. use what u like and fault someone else for their's . anyway's how's everyone's rigid working out got one for my friend and it's doing the overload gig kinda irritating without having to drive 75 miles one way to replace it looking for a progress report

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #416 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:22 PM »

You sir will have a clip shortly.  Probably Sunday.   I won't ask why anyone would want to constantly make man killers in the ice...

Also lets not get emotional....plastic is cheap...its not so called cheap...it is cheap....but its light.  Remember, I've used and like both so unlike some, I am not trying to win the vote of personal opinions on kdrill vs nils.   Right now I don't use either!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #417 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:45 PM »
You sir will have a clip shortly.  Probably Sunday.   I won't ask why anyone would want to constantly make man killers in the ice...

Also lets not get emotional....plastic is cheap...its not so called cheap...it is cheap....but its light.  Remember, I've used and like both so unlike some, I am not trying to win the vote of personal opinions on kdrill vs nils.   Right now I don't use either!

Here’s the biggest problem, people make hipshot comments without thinking about who, what, why, where, or how.   Very few people fish the way I do (on a river for 100+lb fish).  I understand that, and take it with a grain of salt.   River ice is dirty ice. Not only silt, but sticks, gravel etc.   No matter what anyone tells me, I know first hand that “man killer” holes are needed for a fish you might encounter that is 6ft long and 3ft around.   Especially when you have 20+” of ice.   

Cleary some augers cut faster than others, and clearly your mileage may vary as to which auger is best for you.   The KDrill is a great auger with a few shortcomings.  For me personally it’s the best choice, especially since nobody yet has offered me a better alternative.    Are there people that just randomly go out and buy a KDrill because of marketing and hype?  Of course. Are there others that have made an educated choice?  Absolutely

Oh and by the way.  Plastic is not “cheap”.  That's a broad brush.  In fact some poly composites are more durable than metals or alloys in many applications.   You should see me reverse drill those “man killer” holes to get rid of the slush.  Every time, I think, holy balls how are the flights not breaking? 

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #418 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Here’s the biggest problem, people make hipshot comments without thinking about who, what, why, where, or how.   Very few people fish the way I do (on a river for 100+lb fish).  I understand that, and take it with a grain of salt.   River ice is dirty ice. Not only silt, but sticks, gravel etc.   No matter what anyone tells me, I know first hand that “man killer” holes are needed for a fish you might encounter that is 6ft long and 3ft around.   Especially when you have 20+” of ice.   

Cleary some augers cut faster than others, and clearly your mileage may vary as to which auger is best for you.   The KDrill is a great auger with a few shortcomings.  For me personally it’s the best choice, especially since nobody yet has offered me a better alternative.    Are there people that just randomly go out and buy a KDrill because of marketing and hype?  Of course. Are there others that have made an educated choice?  Absolutely

Oh and by the way.  Plastic is not “cheap”.  That's a broad brush.  In fact some poly composites are more durable than metals or alloys in many applications.   You should see me reverse drill those “man killer” holes to get rid of the slush.  Every time, I think, holy balls how are the flights not breaking?

Well said....to each their own!  What works for me, may not work for the next person & vise versa.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #419 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:01 PM »
I agree.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.