Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451094 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Inventions
« Reply #690 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:02 PM »
No idea how much power it draws but my showdown performs way better connected to a 12v opposed to the 9v from the 6 a.a.
Interesting! I have 1 each way, and never noticed a difference. Do you use backlight or the screen heater feature?

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #691 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:23 PM »
Interesting! I have 1 each way, and never noticed a difference. Do you use backlight or the screen heater feature?
Not often. I mainly fish shallow water and with the a.a. I have problems seeing my jigs. No problems with 12v. It's also one of the original showdown trollers. Pretty old and slightly abused.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: Perch Eye Remover
« Reply #692 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:46 AM »
Perch eyes are a known great bait- you can dig them out with a knife, or pop them out with your thumb, but this is messy and often pop the eye, making it less juicy and attractive. This tool makes it simple and pretty clean.

I’ve used a paper clip for years.  I hang it off the zipper on my jacket.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #693 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Not often. I mainly fish shallow water and with the a.a. I have problems seeing my jigs. No problems with 12v. It's also one of the original showdown trollers. Pretty old and slightly abused.
Well, a tool battery will make a big difference in that showdown weight- the SLA it comes with must be almost 90% of the total weight.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #694 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Here is an idea I've been thinking of trying in the future for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . I have a UTV cover I bought for my SXS . It's made of heavy condura type material for $50.00 . My UTV is 8 ft. long by 60 inches wide by 6' 2" tall . The cover has 2 vent holes near the top to release condensation . If you can picture this cover draped over the UTV all the way to the ground with a elastic hem on the bottom , it certainly should make an excellent cover for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . Now with that thought in mind , they now make 4 seater UTVs that are 10 to 12 feet long and 6 feet wide ! If anyone succeeds in creating a shelter out of one of these covers before I do , please post up your creation .

Built one 35 years ago.    i could not afford a 149.00 fish trap at that time

bent plywood.  copper pipe.  army duck canvas

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #695 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:56 AM »
my first troller 2.0 was sluggish and jig hard to see and didnt perform good with aa batteries either.works great with a 12v sla battery tho.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #696 on: Jan 14, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Built one 35 years ago.    i could not afford a 149.00 fish trap at that time

bent plywood.  copper pipe.  army duck canvas

VERY cool!!!

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #697 on: Jan 14, 2021, 05:25 PM »
I did the same thing back in the early 80's.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #698 on: Jan 24, 2021, 09:55 AM »
DANMAN.....That is simply awesome....2 thumbs up....A+ for my grade.....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #699 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:53 AM »
How am I just learning about this now?

https://chillnreel.com

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #700 on: Jan 24, 2021, 12:14 PM »

Probably because it's kind of pointless. Just throw a spool of line in your pocket.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #701 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Probably because it's kind of pointless. Just throw a spool of line in your pocket.

What about your beer?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #702 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:52 AM »

I think this has a fatal flaw for ice fishing: You would need to spill your beer to let your bait down the hole.

>:(

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #703 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:38 AM »
I think this has a fatal flaw for ice fishing: You would need to spill your beer to let your bait down the hole.

>:(

Make your own tape a schooley reel on the kooze.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #704 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:50 PM »
fish could take you beer away! no thanks. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #705 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:53 AM »
I've been fishing a soup can or beverage can since I was a wee little boy.  Used to toss that with a bobber and sinker for pan fishing at the local park.

I even did the stick with the eye screws on the ends to ice fish as that was more like better than hand jigging and the line wrapping around the can was more efficient.

I have no plans to go back to using rusty cans.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #706 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Not an invention, just my typical repurposing. Need a holder for Power bait, Gulp, etc. Chop off 2” from any partial or empty caulk tube. Won’t affect a partial tube, will still function in a caulk gun. Screw it to a convenient base. Perfect diameter.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #707 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:12 AM »
this came out of a thread about tip ups.  it got me rethinking my rigger release for huge baits on tip ups.  the simple bent wire is what i came up with.  its electric fencewire if that matters?  fairly stiff stuff.  take just a few min. to make and install yourself!  after a couple of other designs i ended with this one.  tested it with large gills and a 10" bass for bait.  no false flags at all.  there is another unexpected added bonus to this rig.  it seemed to set the hook rite in the lip(using trebles hook) on every fish caught!!!!!!  havent decided if this is good or bad. i also havent played with hook placement in the baits or quick strike rigging.  make one and test it for yourself.

the bit bait holder,

a short vid also here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbryf7wK-8w

the square nut has nothing to do with the rig.  it was just a replacement laying around.  bend wire loop and put under original spool nut.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline rayzhu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #708 on: Sep 22, 2021, 08:55 AM »
First time posting here, so forgive me if this is something inappropriate.

I'd like to share with you our invention: An auto-jigging device allows you to record your presentation by turning a dial to move the rod up and down, fast or slow - the way you wanted, and then replay it for as long as you want. 

It has caught fish in open water, but we never tried ice fishing. Do you think it will work for ice-fishing?

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #709 on: Sep 22, 2021, 09:57 AM »
First time posting here, so forgive me if this is something inappropriate.

I'd like to share with you our invention: An auto-jigging device allows you to record your presentation by turning a dial to move the rod up and down, fast or slow - the way you wanted, and then replay it for as long as you want. 

It has caught fish in open water, but we never tried ice fishing. Do you think it will work for ice-fishing?

If you are trying to sell your products to us all, you have to become a sponsor of the site or become a Militia member....

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #710 on: Sep 22, 2021, 03:42 PM »
I present for your amazement... Fish-o-tron 2000!

My brother made this in college for a microprocessor course. This was a long time ago- probably 1987 or 88

The board is all made with wire wrap, so I am pretty sure it will never work again, but it was pretty clever for it's day.

The stepper motor drives an old zebco reel

It also had programmable jigging patterns, and depth from bottom. That was all entered into the front panel.

So far as I know, he never caught a fish on it, but was able to demonstrate that it could do all of the functions well enough to get a good grade in the class. As with most things ahead of their time, it was not practical, or probably even legal, but I thought it was a good example of the diabolical creativity of ice fishermen.
, and the line first goes through a tension measurer- basically a set of 3 guides, the center one on the arm of a limit switch. When the line is tight, the limit switch is closed. This is used to find bottom: Lower until the line goes slack, that is the bottom.

The next guide would be like the tip top on a normal rod- it is mounted to a piezo crystal, and when there are tugs/vibration on the line, the piezo crystal creates a voltage, and the controller knows there is a bite, and reels in the fish.

You can also see the optical sensor that senses the sinker is brought up to the surface, which then triggers an alarm to wake up the bored fisherman, whose only job is to re-bait the hook and push the button to send it down for another fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.