Author Topic: I'm looking for suggestions on were to ice fish trout?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline ian L

• IceShanty Rookie
 I'm new to ice fishing for rainbows and brook trout, and I don't know anywhere worthwhile. Does anyone have any suggestions on any safe ponds or lakes to ice fish? I'm not asking for your spot I just wanted a few ponds and lakes I could give a shot at. I'm from Manchester btw and willing to take a drive for some fishing. Thanks!

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I'm looking for suggestions on were to ice fish trout?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Everything you need to know to get started right here:

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry.html

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline ian L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:35 AM »
lol I've been looking at that website for months now that's why I came to this website for help.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:37 AM »
There’s your full list of anywhere “worthwhile”, without looking for anyone’s spots. It doesn’t get easier than that. Pick one and go. They all have trout. And check ice as you go. Who would take a strangers word on that?

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Just a reminder you can't fish trout ponds.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:46 AM »
lol I've been looking at that website for months now that's why I came to this website for help.

So what’s the issue? What is it you need help with?

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Nobody's gonna put their "worthwhile" spot in this thread because people will see it and it won't be worthwhile anymore.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Nobody's gonna put their "worthwhile" spot in this thread because people will see it and it won't be worthwhile anymore.

There’s that, and he specifically said he’s NOT asking for someone’s spots  ::) lmao!

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:51 AM »

Not sure what other help we can offer, bud.  The list I gave has body of water, the town and all the species that are in it.  As long as it isn't a "designated" trout pond that is closed to ice fishing, it's all you need.  Back in Late December, I took my wife up in the White Mountains for a few days before Christmas and wanted to get on some early ice so I know the towns I'd be in, printed some maps, brought the spud bar and a few traps and checked them out and that's how you learn.  It's the best help I can give without saying go to the south end of "pond X" by the boat ramp.  Truth is, there are lots of varrying ice conditions....ever in the same towns depending on elevation, wind, etc.  Best to check as you go but those maps and the list give you a solid starting point.  Heck, I think it's half the fun to be honest.  Good luck.

Offline ian L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:52 AM »
lol I know nobody's gonna give me a worthwhile spot but it doesn't hurt to ask for a lil help ya know.

Offline ian L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:56 AM »
sorelippin thanks man I guess that's what I'll try. I was just asking if anyone knows a lake or pond that's not completely fished out. cuz from were I am its a long drive to get up north just for a shot at ah trout but that's fishing huh lol

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:59 AM »
The long drives are part of the adventure....if it was meant to be so easy then its not as fun. You can simply buy fish at the market. Last week me and my crew drove 2.5 hours into Maine just to have a fun adventure day. Exploring is part of the fun.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:04 AM »
sorelippin thanks man I guess that's what I'll try. I was just asking if anyone knows a lake or pond that's not completely fished out. cuz from were I am its a long drive to get up north just for a shot at ah trout but that's fishing huh lol

Exactly.  And no body of water is going to be completely fished out.  The big lakes are always a good bet and there are safe spots.  You're more than likely going to see people out and about so embrace the chase and read up on threads by using the search function on techniques for trout if you're new to it.  Lots of good information here if you look.  Good luck.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:04 AM »
The long drives are part of the adventure....if it was meant to be so easy then its not as fun. You can simply buy fish at the market. Last week me and my crew drove 2.5 hours into Maine just to have a fun adventure day. Exploring is part of the fun.

He's alive....

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I don't usually target them in the winter, but I fish them often in Spring & Fall....

this is a good list to start....many get a fall trout stocking....some broodstocks, too.
https://wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/trout-year-round.html

i think all of the 2 trap salmon + trout lakes all have trout, too....some large holdovers that aren't broodstock straight from the tanks...
https://wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/ice-fishing.html

most guys fish shallow over sand flats with streams coming in.....or rocky shores.  both can produce.

check out google maps satellite view and webapp.navionics,com for spots, then fish a bunch of them to see which 1's are good

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Im finished my middle eastern adventures and finally back home for good. Hope you are doing well!!

He's alive....

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:10 PM »
use the search function and you'll even find specific bodies of water to target...... once you've picked a body of water search again and you may even find someone's spot they posted on here..... at the very least you'll find typical areas ppl target and then you can plan from there.....

part of the fun is trying to figure it out yourself. I learned how to target Lakers pretty successfully in NH. I took the knowledge I had of contour maps and what has been successful and applied it to lake champlain. Last year I did a ton of research on my own, through navionics found a house on airbnb that had the kind of structure I was looking for. Went out and caught my PB Laker. What made that PB so special was i fished a body of water for the first time, planned, researched and did all on my own. That's what makes it fun. You have to know the right questions to ask and how to ask it. Also, you have to put in your time..... only 4 posts on here means you probably haven't contributed much to the community, ppl aren't gonna tell you their secrets just yet!
Tight Lines!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:33 PM »
I’m remembering a thread, not remembering it’s name, from a couple years ago or so, on the topic of targeting Rainbows specifically. Just about everyone kicked in their 2cents on that one. Talk about a blue print for how to catch rainbow trout. It was all in there. Start digging.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:09 PM »
I’m remembering a thread, not remembering it’s name, from a couple years ago or so, on the topic of targeting Rainbows specifically. Just about everyone kicked in their 2cents on that one. Talk about a blue print for how to catch rainbow trout. It was all in there. Start digging.

I’ll try to find it. That was a good one. I think AA and NHTF did a video to go along with it?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:26 PM »
This one right?

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331364.0
That one certainly does the trick too. Can’t do better than video. The one i’m Thinking of was just an open dialogue with a lot of very detailed responses about strategies and techniques. From all the same cast of characters. Very, very helpful stuff to anyone just trying to get started.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Yea there are 2 others with loads of info that put that one to shame

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Yea there are 2 others with loads of info that put that one to shame
Exactly. Discussion covered deep water techniques, shallow, baits, structure, gear, all of it. Whole spectrum, if I recall.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:39 PM »
That video is no longer available.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Yeah, one i’m Thinking of didn’t have video attached. I think it may have pre-dated that video. Whichever. Somebody asked about rainbow trout fishing and caught evvvverybody on a right-side-of-the-bed day. The rainbow trout fishing encyclopedia, in synopsis, handed right to them.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:45 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=328969.0

And there’s the other, I’ve said it a million times I’ll help anyone with any info. You flat out wanted spots and I want to hear that dirty little mouth say it!  ;D jk, but not really. Anyway these posts will set you up for success if you follow them now it’s on you.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Like everyone is saying it's not about any specific lake but being able to find lake that has trout (use NHFG website) and then researching everything and anything you can find that will help make you successful. And then it's trial and error from there. Learning and being able to apply the knowledge to any lake is key.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.