The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lakers through the ICE in Western Montana....What do you use?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
So I've heard of guys using the same rig as for Northerns to catch Lakers, flaoting a smelt/herring down off the bottom and I've tried jigging a white leadhead...

What works for you?

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakers through the ICE in Western Montana....What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:07 PM »
chartreuse flyer w/ small strip of sucker meat on bottom treble or a 3/8 oz plain jig rigged inside a white power tube are my main go to rigs, but have a second deadstick or tip-up nearby with the smelt/herring setup. It can be more important to find a productive spot than what you are using. ;)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:42 PM »
When I fished for them in Colorado, I used a 3/8 oz. white tube jig with a strip of sucker meat on the hook.  I dropped it to the bottom and jigged it up about 12 inches and let it fall to the bottom.  Do this very slow and let it sit on bottom for a couple of seconds between. Good luck!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:38 PM »
any of you guys ever use "Zimmer" jigs...he is local down in Pablo, and he is refered to as the "MackMan"...I have used his jigs in the spring, summer and fall on Flathead with great success but have only tried them once on Whitefish Lake with no luck....

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Anyone fishing for lakers on the frozen bays on Flathead?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Neptune: I haven't fished for lakers since I left Colorado.  The closest Laker fishing around here is Ft. Peck.  I would like to go again sometime, because they are fun to catch. They arent very good to eat though.  If you do eat a laker, be sure you soak it in salt water and cook it the same day you catch it. 

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:09 PM »
They arent very good to eat though.  If you do eat a laker, be sure you soak it in salt water and cook it the same day you catch it. 

Man I have to disagree there!!!  You must not be a fan of Salmon, because I think they are right in there.  Now they aren't Coho or Sockeye mind you but they are darn good eatin' in my opinion.  I Blacken them on a big Griddle on my Barbeque and it is awesome!  They are great smoked also!

I'm going to have to make a trip over to Ft. Peck this next Summer and give it a try...

Good Fishing!  :tipup:

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Actually I love salmon. I have a freezer full of reds from Alaska this past summer.  I think lakers are okay if you cook them fresh the day you catch them.  I have froze them and thawed them out to cook, and they didn't taste as good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.