Author Topic: Hunt begins for my first trout thru the ice  (Read 420 times)

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hunt begins for my first trout thru the ice
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Went to Bass Pro yesterday looking at a number of the jigs you guys have talked about here on another thread.  I'm originally from Upstate NY near Pulaski/Watertown area.  Mostly fished for Northern Pike so I didnt do much jigging.  A couple years ago I started back up fishing on ice.  Forgot how much I love it.  I bought a Rapala Jigging Rap - tiger red, and a couple new rods - cant believe how much theses little jigs are.  Last year I caught my share of Crappie.  Love catching those guys and we have some good ponds down here in S. NH for them

Before moving to New England I had never caught a trout.  Picked up Fly fishing with a friend at work.  I've caught numerous now.  I've never caught trout thru the ice.  That is my goal this year.  Just have to say how much I appreciate people sharing techniques.  I'm armed with a notebook full of notes.  Now for the hunt to begin and putting into practice what you've shared.     

Thanks for all your advice!
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hunt begins for my first trout thru the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Trout are for sure the best species, or at least my favorite, to target through the ice
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Good luck sir! I second what perch slayer said...  Ice fishing is great no matter what you catch, but the hunt and preparation it takes to get a nice trout on the the ice seems far more satisfying for me.  Lake trout even more so, I've been ice fishing for many years but just started Laker fishing 3 years ago. It's an entirely different kind of fishing than I had been used to <chasing flags all day>.  I dream about it, spend way too much $ on it, and take half my vacation time in Jan and Feb for it!   Catch a big one!
Let it freeze

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:16 PM »
lakers for me sir.get a map, use the fish and game website, keep things simple and consistent, travel light and keep moving. don't tie yourself down to one place all day. do some research on habitat on the species you seek. plenty of knowledge out there but nothing beats experimenting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.