Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536718 times)

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3270 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Huge-you could try waitts-1 hour from spokane I was there yesterday and limited on trout-good sized rainbow and browns-ice is fishable (5-8") and getting better daily.  Its only open until March 1 however.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3271 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Just stopped at Avondale, about 8-10" ice. Seen 3 people out fishing, I didn't fish myself just walked out and talked with the other anglers.
Thanks for posting this info which motivated me to fish Avondale yesterday afternoon (7" ice on the holes I augered).  Perch bite turned on about 4:45 to 5:30.  Before that, I enjoyed watching this lucky guy (not me) catch the biggest bass I've yet seen taken through ice!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3272 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Thanks Houlz, we are probably going to try for perch though if we can. Glad you got out on the ice and found some fish!  ;D

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3273 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Similar to my bass from earlier this season!  ;)

Offline chi04003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3274 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Went by fernan yesterday there were people ice skating on the ice by the boat launch. They said there were 4 inches of ice. I didn’t have my auger to check for myself but will check today.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3275 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:21 AM »
They weren't skating in the channel leading to the bridge were they? Just skating over near the launch? Looking forward to hearing what you find. I may try to get over there Friday after work and check the ice as well.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3276 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:46 PM »
 went over to the honeysuckle side of Hayden Lake after doing a little fishing on Avondale before heading home and there's 1-2 inch of ice  by the boat launch from what I could see the ice look like it went all the way out past the Country Club hopefully it freezes up so I can go Kokanee fishing on the ice again like I did last year
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline chi04003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3277 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:37 PM »
They weren't skating in the channel leading to the bridge were they? Just skating over near the launch? Looking forward to hearing what you find. I may try to get over there Friday after work and check the ice as well.

Sorry couldn’t make it out to check because of schedule conflicts. But have attached a pic. They are out pretty far from the dock. The skaters are in the top right, and I am on the short boat dock. Hopefully be able to check in the morning before work.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3278 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Had to go to spokane today so on the way through swung by spirit and there was 4 people out in the middle and on the way by lower twin and there was quite a few rigs parked by the driving range

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3279 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:06 AM »
CMS-thanks for the update-I'm probably going to try spirit on thus or friday next week

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3280 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I’m headed out to Avondale here in a few minutes. Drop by and say hi if you want. I’ll post a report later.

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3281 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:25 PM »
CMS-thanks for the update-I'm probably going to try spirit on thus or friday next week

Houlzhouse just wondering what you might have found out at spirit...heading out in the morning. Either spirit or mirror.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3282 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I fished Avondale from 7:00 AM to noon on Friday. The ice was about 7 to 7.5 inches of mostly cloudy on top of 2 inches clear. Of the 7 inches cloudy, there is a gap in the middle of slush/water that is probably 2 inches. Be careful. The bite was extremely light and hard to detect even with sonar, but I did manage to bring home 20 nice perch. A spring bobber would help to go along with electronics. Access to the lake was totally solid with no recession. Good luck!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3283 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:49 PM »
We may check out Kelso in the morning; does anyone have a recent ice report?

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3284 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Went to Mirror lake this morning...caught several Kokanee and a few trout. Ice is about 9 inches with 3 clear and the rest cloudy. Be prepared to fishing in the slush.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3285 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Went to Mirror lake this morning...caught several Kokanee and a few trout. Ice is about 9 inches with 3 clear and the rest cloudy. Be prepared to fishing in the slush.
hows the roads  to there
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3286 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:26 PM »
hows the roads  to there

They were fine. All the main roads were plowed.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3287 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:30 PM »
Where do you got on mirror never been there
A map location of where would help big time

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3288 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Is there a public access (free) on Mirror Lake. If so, where is it located. Thanks.
Answer:

Hello.  Yes, there is a public access to launch a boat on Mirror Lake.  It is located at the north end of the lake at the small resort/campground.  You'll turn off the main road about 0.5 miles before reaching the lake.  I believe there is a sign for the campground and resort.  The campground and resort are privately owned, but Idaho Fish and Game has an easement that allows for public access.  You can launch a small boat at the dirt boat ramp and then must park in one of the designated IDFG access site parking spaces. These parking spaces are clearly marked and are located just west of the resort office.  The dock is privately owned, so you cannot use it.  There is not public shoreline access to fish from, so you'll need to plan to have a small boat to fish from.  Note that only electric motors are allowed.
I hope this helps and good luck fishing!

Sorry this isn't better.
Turn east off hwy 95 onto Sagle rd.   Continue to Mirror Lake rd, turn left, go through the resort/campground until you see the lake and 5 parking spaces.

Link to the geologic map of the Talache Quadrangle    http://www.idahogeology.org/PDF/Digital_Data_%28D%29/Digital_Web_Maps_%28DWM%29/talache-dwm-75-m.pdf

Last of all ~ try Google.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3289 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Idahogator, where on Mirror do you fish for kokanee out near the middle?

I am posting this for general info not directed at you Idahogator
Here is a link to Topozone map of the area for anyone needing one this is satalite view but you can choose from other maps the Forest Service is the best for directions.
https://www.topozone.com/idaho/bonner-id/locale/mirror-lake-access-area/

Topozone is my favorite map site, it is in my favorites on my web browzer. Here is what the Forest Service view looks like.

Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3290 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:57 PM »
That's a much better map you linked, catskinner.    Thank you !      :thumbsup: :bow:

As to where, check depths as you move over deeper water with sonar but usually or often 30' on down to 75'.

There is much info in this and other threads, even several years back.  Happy hunting.     ;)2

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3291 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Thanks Idahogator, I will search for more info on other treads. I might try it later in the week depending on weather.

Offline BIGxJIMxSLADE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3292 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Just an extra fyi for Mirror. The free spots are only like 4 or 5, so they can be gone pretty quickly.
I always seem to catch the trout just about anywhere, but the kokanee seem to be about 3/4 of the way across the lake, straight off the dock, in the deeper water. Usually about 50 or so feet down during ice season.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3293 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:10 PM »
How is the ice at Fernnan? Can you walk across from the east end?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3294 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:49 PM »
How is the ice at Fernnan? Can you walk across from the east end?
I drove out to Fernan on Sunday and I did not walk out onto the ice as their were lots of wet spots near shore and farther out in places,  a big wet pressure crack at the big turn out and open water in the middle. Also no foot prints on the ice except near shore by the far bay boat launch.  Did not check the first boat launch area. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3295 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:47 PM »
I would like to make a list here of where you can buy St Joe Bait maggots. I know of two in Spokane

Sportsman's Warehouse
The White Elephant

I think that they are far superior to those other no name, tiny maggots sold by other places. What does anyone else think.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3296 on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Super 1 Sales some pretty good size maggots when they have them in there stock the Hayden Super 1 sells them for $1.69 without tax  they're either fishing fools or someone else can't remember

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3297 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:26 AM »
Are they in the clear plastic cans or are they brown plastic cans?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3298 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:27 AM »
Whats the report for spirit lake and priest lake

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3299 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:02 AM »
Whats the report for spirit lake and priest lake

Spirit was good last weekend, nearly limited out. Was 7'' of ice but lots of slush, had 4-5'' of water on top of the ice. Sonar is recommended as there were fish from 15-50' and it varied from minute to minute.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.