The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spearing, and tip-ups  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
spearing, and tip-ups
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:31 AM »
 This is my assumption only,  In MI. you can have 3 rods, would it be safe to assume that you can put up 2 tip-ups, while in shanty with a spear? Wouldn't the spear be considered 1 of your rods?  Do you spear guys run tip-ups while you spear?

Offline bucketbuttz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: spearing, and tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I use tip-ups but only one and it has an alarm on it so I can hear a flag pop. I keep all my windows shut so I have the best visibility

Offline shadykiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:52 PM »
u can run 3 tip ups(or any 3 hook line combos) when u spear.. because a spear is not a hook and line... the dnr officer for hillsdale co told me that in person 3 weeks ago when i was spearing... when the fishing is hard i run 2 tip ups and a jigging pole in the coop just to have a little more action in the hole..

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:00 PM »
MN just recently changed the law on this.  Your spear counts as one line. You can have a spear and a tip up or a spear and a jig pole.  We are only allowed two lines total.
Know before you throw

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:00 AM »
5 tipups two hooks each and a spear :thumbsup:

Offline WhiteTailHunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I put 2 tip ups out when I spear But if you use alive sucker you have to put it on a decoy pin because the spear is a line in MI
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Army National Guard HOOAH!!! 88M

Offline bth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What a glorius site:)
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:06 PM »
U have to use a decoy pin and not a trebl hook right? Other wise that hook would count for a line correct???
Never a bad time to be fishing;)

Offline bth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What a glorius site:)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Sorry guys I didn't see page 2 and the previous post
Never a bad time to be fishing;)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:38 PM »
 You are all right. I caught a DNR guy, who said he wasn't sure, but according to the verbage of our "book" it says 3 hooks and lines. A spear does not constitute a hook and line.  He called me later at home to confirm this with me. But only 2 tip- ups, if you are using live bait with hook, 3 if you are using decoy w/ decoy pin. Thanks guys Mike

Offline Mule Skinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:03 PM »
U have to use a decoy pin and not a trebl hook right? Other wise that hook would count for a line correct???

This is correct !  the key here is hooks  ;)   While spearing, your spear does not count, but your spearing decoy either live or artificial does if it has a hook, if it's used with a decoy harness, it does not count.

A decoy Harness over a decoy hooked is the way to go IMO, you can spear with a decoy harness and have 3 tip-ups out or 1 jigging pole and 2 tip-ups.
I love the  smell of fresh Pike Slime in the morning.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:11 PM »
in Michigan, as of today, if you are spearing, using a decoy/attractor that does not have hooks, you can lay out 3 tip-ups.     if you use a decoy in the hole that is ''hooked'', single, treble, double, closepin or what ever that is capable of hooking and landing a fish, you can only have 2 more lines in the water.  total of 3.      if you use a wooden/plastic decoy in the hole and are jigging with another line in the shack, only 2 tip-ups outside the shack.    if there are 2 people in the shack, one is jigging, then, 5 more tip-ups outside.     3 per person.   pretty EZ

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:04 PM »
I use two tip-up with alarms and keep a jig pole or two next to me inside just incase I need it I can ut it down the hole. I find it to much some day to keep the tip-ups working and spear by myself, so I try to use the buddy system, then it's 4 tip-ups if its slow in the shack. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.