The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: 3 weeks left-where to move ?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
3 weeks left-where to move ?
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:57 AM »
In lower michigan we have 3 weeks of spearing left. With prespawn habits comming, where should I move the shanty to ? I'm thinking in shallow in front of the one swamp on the south east side of the lake. The very weedy lake is  22 acres with a bowl shaped mucky bottom. max depth 30 feet. normally we spear the east side in about 8-11 feet of water, where the weeds drop off, but not necessarly the bottom. should we go shallower near the swamp as season nears end?suggestions/comments?

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Re: 3 weeks left-where to move ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Start testing your suspect area with tipups. If you have an area that you think is good for some reason move that tip up around, as little as 10' can make a big diff.
Bruster

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:36 PM »
In lower michigan we have 3 weeks of spearing left. With prespawn habits comming, where should I move the shanty to ? I'm thinking in shallow in front of the one swamp on the south east side of the lake. The very weedy lake is  22 acres with a bowl shaped mucky bottom. max depth 30 feet. normally we spear the east side in about 8-11 feet of water, where the weeds drop off, but not necessarly the bottom. should we go shallower near the swamp as season nears end?suggestions/comments?

I hope you don't have a permanent shanty below Muskegon County cause if you do than your screwed  :-\  (I found out on the last day which was March 1st)

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I thought we could keep shacks out till march 15 this year, or is that just the new spearing season, anyway pulled min off lat friday no jacket neeed about 60 degrees

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I thought we could keep shacks out till march 15 this year, or is that just the new spearing season, anyway pulled min off lat friday no jacket neeed about 60 degrees

I don't know where the line is exactly but that's all I know is that on March 1st a CO came out to my shanty and told me that yes the spearing season was extended but the shanty laws where still in place so if I where you I would just check for next year to see how long you are aloud to keep the permanent out. The CO told me the only way I could spear was to bring it on shore each time I left for the day and my permanent is way to big for that crap  :'( .

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:12 AM »
sounds like i kept my shack out too long, I didn't take it off till the 6th. Well the good news is that it sounds like the dnr can now make rules with passage of this new law, hopefully they will let us keep shacks out till the 15th next year...                         I'd believe that the co's around here would be ok with shacks being left out longer if ice is safe and season is still on...If season is closed or shack will likely fall thru, the co's i've met would rightfully take issue with that......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.