Author Topic: What's this?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's this?
« on: Dec 24, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Hi Guys, seen this today in the InFisherman Ice fishing magazine. It's in an article about Perch & the how 2s to catchum. I've got no idea what it is. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Any one have any ideas?

I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's this?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Flexible lead weight to get the lure down fast.  Concept is that it is narrow and will not affect the jigging motion on light lures

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:42 PM »
That is what is known as a "Mendota Rig". Invented and popularized on the waters of Lake Mendota about 45 minutes down the road from me. Bowmandan is correct as to it's use but it's not particularly flexible. In it most primitive form it was a length of coat hanger or copper wire flattened at the ends and drilled to accept a couple of snap swivels. One end connected to your line and the other to a dropper with a lure and/or bait. And yes, the idea was to get back down to 30 - 60 FOW more quickly.

Tackle shop I worked at in the 90s made another version that looked like this:

We couldn't keep 'em on the shelf selling them as fast as we could make 'em. The beads were loose so it would make some noise when you'd shake it, kind of a Perch Talker precursor. They're easy to make with some .029" single strand leader wire, a bullet weight, some beads and a piece of vinyl tubing that kept the weight (Needle Nose Worm weight by Gremlin) locked in place so stuff didn't tangle.

You can also accomplish the same thing (pretty much) with a heavier spoon and a dropper.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:02 PM »
That's it! The one in the picture definitely looks like a piece for copper tubing flattened and drilled on both ends. Thanks guys for the responses and the picture that's a cool idea to get back down faster.  :thumbsup:
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Thanks for the insight on this. I actually have a couple in my grandmother's tackle box. Always wondered what they were, I was thinking a weighted snubbed for koke trolling or something in that use. Thank God for tungsten and superior light lines or you might as well drop the car hood down the hole. Lol
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Great question and answers! Now I have something new to build.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.