Author Topic: Best power auger for your money?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best power auger for your money?
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 04:15 AM »
I would love to hear people's thoughts as to which 8 inch power auger is the best purchase out there.

Thanks

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Best power auger for your money?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:44 AM »
Just love my Z51 Eskimo. Never more than 2 pulls to start and 90 % of the time after 5 years it starts on the first pull. I bought it with the 10" but after the first year bought an 8" for it.

Just remember this. If you get a gas Auger only run Ethanol free gas in it.
<===Lefty===

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:03 AM »
I just bought an Eskimo HC40- propane,  started it a few times, starts easy on two pulls.  I have been fishing Lake of the Woods with one of the resorts up there the past few years and that's what they use and indicate they really liked them.  They said they have very few problems with them.  Worth a look.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I have a jiffy pro 4 propane and its the best auger I have owned,no stinky gas to deal with and it starts on the first or second pull every time

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:51 PM »
the jiffy pro 4 i have a first gen and its great, just really heavy and they have only been improved with subsequent generations. otherwise a strikemaster or jiffy with the Tecumseh 2 will run forever with a little love and can be had for much less.
go hard or go home

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2015, 01:30 AM »
Had a Jiffy 3.5 for a while and it was terrible, most in part of my poor tuning skills i think, would get it running good at the shop and as soon as we hit the ice it wouldnt start or run for nothin, it was also heavy. Spud barred alot of holes while i had that.

Used a buddies Eskimo stingray for quite a while, ran flawless, always started, drilled holes great, no speed demon but very very reliable.

Last year I purchased the Strikemaster Honda 4 stroke, pretty lightweight, starts first pull regardless, pulls super super super easy by the way, drills great, not super fast either,  kinda catchy breaking through but its manageable, I drill alot of holes and it doesnt wear me out which is the biggest thing for me.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I
I would love to hear people's thoughts as to which 8 inch power auger is the best purchase out there.

Thanks
That depends what type of fishing you do??? What works best for a guy in Iowa may not necessarily work so well for a Hardwater junkie in Alaska.... How many holes you typically drill can also be quite useful as well as species and general size... The search function on this site should offer a wealth of knowledge as well. I'm using a Milwaukee drill auger with a 7" mora auger..... which has pretty much retired my Eskimo 8" gas auger.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Fourth year for my Strikemaster Strike-Lite II. I really like the 4 stroke and no need to mix oil and gas. Always has been a one or possibly two pull start since day one too. Would definitely purchase another if this one was swiped from the back of my truck one day.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Go on craigs and look for a jiffy model 30 or 31. Last a long time. Also look for tanaka/ nils. I bought my nils from red rock store. I got my jiffy for 75 bucks runs perfect ! Bought that for fishing higher traffic areas when trucks are out and sand is on ice. I can sharpen jiffy myself nils I can't.
Fishin red lines

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Go on craigs and look for a jiffy model 30 or 31. Last a long time. Also look for tanaka/ nils. I bought my nils from red rock store. I got my jiffy for 75 bucks runs perfect ! Bought that for fishing higher traffic areas when trucks are out and sand is on ice. I can sharpen jiffy myself nils I can't.
nils are hands down the best, but moneywise not so much. From a repair standpoint i would lead you towards the 2hp versions.
go hard or go home

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2015, 10:19 PM »

Thanks
;D 3 letters- ION! No messy gas and oil to deal with and best of all quiet and NO SMELL. This Year they have a 9.5 " Auger.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:52 AM »
I've got a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite and absolutely love it.  Always starts within a pull or two, no choke to adjust, and no stinky fumes.  A 1lb tank will last you over 100 holes too

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:01 PM »
I have a Strike Master Mag 2000. Its at least ten years old. Starts one to two pulls. Sea foam. Premium gas. No ethanol. It did develop a gas leak end of last ice season. That has been taken care of. Went out last week end and she started right up.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:14 PM »
The newer eskimo Z51's are great and you'll never regret buying one. I've come up with the idea that I want a tanaka head mated up with an eskimo auger(quantum blades) but I haven't gotten my hands on the power head yet to see what kind of adapter I need. The nils auger is nice but from what i've seen it doesn't take a beating like the old school ones and you can't just change the blades if you happen to hit some debris.
First post by the way so howdy all!
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I just bought a clam plate (the new version that hooks directly to the drill with no drill modifications) to hook up to my fin bore 8 inch and my milwaukee fuel 18v. I have two 4ah batteries that should be plenty to get through the day but looking forward to the release of the new 9ah battery in January. I like that I have a nice drill that doubles as a power auger in the winter. I haven't used it yet but from what I've read it's great. Lightweight, no oil/gas mixture, no fouled plugs, quiet, etc. I can't see why anyone wouldn't use this option now that the technology has caught up.

Offline Riplip3179

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I have been searching for weeks now reading everything out here for the answers to this same question. My strikemaster is a pain in the butt every year cleaning the carbs and getting it to run right. I've had troubles with it every year other than the first 8 years ago. When it runs it does great. I'm leaning towards the battery drill and drill plate myself. I'm also thinking the ION but its expensive and i already have a drill for the drill plate. I'll be watching this thread.

Offline Riplip3179

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Dabills did you have to get an adapter for your auger bit or did it bolt right on? Thanks

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2015, 12:53 PM »
If I was buying a power auger now it would be a Tanaka powerhead with a Strikemaster Lazer or Lazer 224 power auger on it. The combo will be fairly light for a gas auger also. My Jiffy Stealth with the 2hp Tecumseh is still going strong though it is fairly heavy.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2015, 01:57 PM »
I can't tell you what's the best auger for your money is, but if you go to the Clam corp website, they have the edge 8" auger for 299. Which is pretty cheap.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Dabills did you have to get an adapter for your auger bit or did it bolt right on? Thanks

Don't have it yet but I don't think I need an adapter. I'll let you know when it comes in.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Tanaka powerhead will be the last powerhead you will buy for many many years. Cant say enough good things about it. Hamms got me hooked up with one and its flat out awesome. Starts right up and not to mention it has a 7 yr warranty. So yes maybe a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Have never had to even mess with adjusting it and have fished up north and south. Personally have a mora on mine and it rips but you can pair with many diff augers other than jiffy. Good luck with your decision.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I have the jiffy pro 40 propane 8" and other then it being 40 lbs its great best part my wife bought for me if you check jiffy's wepsite you can buy a demo model at a discount with a one year warranty mine starts 1-2 easy pulls every time no gas smell and 150 holes out of a 1# bottle of propane and about a 1/3 of the noise of two stroke since this is my first power auger I can't com pair it to others but it's a lot easier on the back then any hand auger

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Strikemaster lazer mag. Solo engine and its nice and light
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I have the jiffy pro 40 propane 8" and other then it being 40 lbs its great best part my wife bought for me if you check jiffy's wepsite you can buy a demo model at a discount with a one year warranty mine starts 1-2 easy pulls every time no gas smell and 150 holes out of a 1# bottle of propane and about a 1/3 of the noise of two stroke since this is my first power auger I can't com pair it to others but it's a lot easier on the back then any hand auger

I 2ed. That. LOVE mine, never pulled it more than 2 times.  Had them all in hand augers ( Mora, lazer, Niles)  got sick of them letting me down so I sprang for a pro 4. Best thing I've done. Now when I want to move to another spot the last thing I have to worry about is hole making, heck its almost fun to drill them. 8" hole in 20" of ice in a few seconds  ;)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Best for my money? Eskimo stingray 33cc @ $248.00 and free shipping. Put a US made spark plug in it two seasons ago and ethanol free gas, remove the vynil switch cover and drill holes.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2015, 06:58 PM »
site sponsor.
fastest hole maker there is!
use what ever auger you want or get the new 9.5 inch segmented.
10% off for vets.
different models to choose from.
http://www.icegator.com/

some great you tubes comparing it to all the others. it's amazing to watch and listen to them working. i saw one in person and will never forget the sound it makes.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:27 AM »
For my money it's strikemaster hands down. I've got a lazer pro and a chipper mag and I love em
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2015, 12:21 PM »
I can't tell you what's the best auger for your money is, but if you go to the Clam corp website, they have the edge 8" auger for 299. Which is pretty cheap.

I have one of these and they are good. they use the same solo motor as the strike master. the only difference is the plastic trim color. the other thing is that the clam does come with the china blades but if you take care of them they work. I have had mine now two seasons and this will be the third. still have the original blades on it but do have a spare back up set. another thing is that you can use the other size augers from strike master on it since the shaft diameter is the same. now with this said I only now use the gas unit when I fish northern with tip ups. My main auger is now a 6 inch hand auger hooked to the Clam plate with a 20V Dewalt drill.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline CLUTCHfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2015, 05:44 PM »
I haven't used many power augers, but my buddy has a jiffy propane, and it has been great. One or two pulls and it fires right up. I bought a Nils convertible last year, and have used it with a drill, and have been extremely happy with it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:50 AM »
I think it's hard to beat the Eskimo Mako.  You can get one for around $290 with free shipping from Glenn's Army & Navy.  I have one and it works great, just like anything else as long as you don't beat on it it will last.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.