Author Topic: Best bang for your buck fillet knife  (Read 22374 times)

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best bang for your buck fillet knife
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I have a cheapo Raapala fileet knife and it absolutely stinks!  I tried filleting a walleye last night and hacked the meat so bad I almost threw the knife away.  What brands or knives should I be looking at?

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
Re: Best bang for your buck fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:17 PM »
its not the knife its the blade... go get one of those white and blue sharpeners and run it across it till you feel it stop biting into the blade and then try it i bet youll shave with it... i presonally use dimond stones the white and blue sharpener and a wet stone on rough and fine each knife i do takes about 30 min i like em sharp, and the one i carry everyday usually is dull within a week so i do it again.. if that dosent work for you my dad got sick of filleting 150 perch(3 guys limited out)by hand so we got him a rapala electric one from wally world and he loves it uses it for fish carving the turkey ect.
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:27 PM »
If it is a rapala knife with a birch wood handle, it is a good knife. It just needs to be properly sharpened.

If it has a rubber or plastic handle, yep, it sucks.

You gotta get whet stones and put the proper angle on it. There is no substitute for the proper method of sharpening a knife. No matter what it costs, it will get dull. A dull knife is worthless. I can get a Swede rapala knife sharp enough to shave with pretty easily, and they hold an edge pretty good too.

Go search youtube for videos on how to sharpen a knife. Pick up the good whetstones and dig in, strop it on a belt when you are done. It takes some practice, and it may take allot of time to bring it back if the bevel is wrecked. Sharpening is something that is really worth your time to learn. You will never have to buy beer at deer camp ever again too! ;D

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:33 PM »
hey skipper those rubber handled ones arent that bad tho for a back up one my little brother has one and its been used a few times gets dull after a few but yeah, my dads is a case and i just use that one :) holds an edge forever... sharpining takes time and patients take your stone and your knife and go sit on the couch and watch tv n do it... seen people do that (my brother)...
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:47 PM »
As long as it says "J Marttiini Finland" on the blade, you got a good one. The "Rapala Sweden Stainless" knives are OK, but not nearly as good. The Rapala Sweden knives are usually more expensive too...

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:49 PM »
If the beveled edge is out of whack you might want to take it to a professional sharpening service to get it back to the right angle. After that you can easily maintain the edge with a fine stone. A steel is a good investment too, often the blade isn't dull but rather rolled. When filleting a scaley fish like perch or walleye I start the downward cut angled forward to get under the scales without cutting through them. I actually now use an electric to take the fillets off and a sharp knife to skin and trim. I use my 4",6" and 9" wooden handled rapala knives for everything including processing deer, other than a sawzall and a skinning knife it's all I need.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I think a good place for a noob sharpener to start is with a brand new knife. The bevel is already there, you just need to follow it and make it smooth.

As stevek said, a mushed up bevel can be VERY discouraging. Maybe have a pro fix it the first time. Remember that Scandinavian knives have a single bevel... 17 degrees I think. A Buck Knife will have a 17 degree angle, and a 22 degree bevel at the very edge. They cannot be sharpened the same way.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:00 PM »
As long as it says "J Marttiini Finland" on the blade, you got a good one. The "Rapala Sweden Stainless" knives are OK, but not nearly as good. The Rapala Sweden knives are usually more expensive too...
X2.  I also like there line of super flex blades they have the dark wood handle and the coated blade.  I switch both my 4 and 6 inch knifes to the super flex last year and love them

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:20 PM »
One of these days - when I have the money - I'm going to break down and buy one of those "Leech Lake" fillet knives that everyone rants about.  I'm not much good at sharpening and they say7it holds an edge for a long time.  It's one of those things I just need to see for myself.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:50 PM »
I'm going to be ordering a Leech Lake knife soon. They are expensive but hopefully they are worth it. I have an old Rapala I inherited from my grandfather but it needs a lot of TLC and the edge completely worked. I like to have several fillet knives on hand so extras are good. The Dexter Russel makes a good inexpensive knife, I like their high carbon steel knives. They will rust but you can get a nice edge on them. The stainless fillet knives I have/used just do not seem to hold an edge like I would like.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:56 PM »
I've chopped a bunch of fish with those..

They have a sharpened area on the spine to do that cut behind the head. That chomp through scales and bones is what dulls your knife the fastest. The knife does not need to be that sharp to make that cut either. You sacrifice the sharp spot on the spine so you can keep your main edge super sharp longer.

I had one and I LOVED IT. A scum bag room mate stole it though.... >:(

IMO, either spend the dough on a Leech Lake, or get a Marttiini Rapala. Most of the knives in the middle price ranges are inferior to both.

I like their high carbon steel knives. They will rust but you can get a nice edge on them. The stainless fillet knives I have/used just do not seem to hold an edge like I would like.

Same here... I use carbon steel whenever I can. It is the best stuff, but I always seem to forget to oil my steel filet knives. Filet knives are the only time I stick with stainless.

Victornox and Mora also make a FINE commercial knife. You have to go looking for them though.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:57 PM »
i just got a buck 9 5/8 fillet knife and this thing rocks! i would have liked if it was shorter but the 6 was just too stiff for my liking.this 9 BENDS!!!! im in florida currently and ive been filleting about 10+ fish every day and havent had to sharpen it since i got it over a week ago.thing cuts like butter and the handle is awesome!!!! it does not slip at all. only cost me $30 at cabelas and is worth it.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:58 PM »
i just got one of thoes birch handled rap's and i am wondering how i ever filleted with out it a great knife and real comfortable also

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:01 PM »
i just got a buck 9 5/8 fillet knife and this thing rocks! i would have liked if it was shorter but the 6 was just too stiff for my liking.this 9 BENDS!!!! im in florida currently and ive been filleting about 10+ fish every day and havent had to sharpen it since i got it over a week ago.thing cuts like butter and the handle is awesome!!!! it does not slip at all. only cost me $30 at cabelas and is worth it.
X2 Best fillet knife I have ever owned is a green rubber handled 9" blade buck knife!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Buck has been around forever for a good reason... good stuff at a good price.

They hold an edge quite well, but they are also a pita to sharpen. I may pick one of those up to try.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:07 PM »
it really is a sweet knife. the blade is also molded to the hand guard so you dont get any scales between the bland and handle.just something thats always bugged me. i also might pick up a rapala thinn finn knife. after seeing commercial fishing boats use them in person man are they sweet. they had old knifes sharpened down thin though not the rapala.just wanted to clarify

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:09 PM »

I just got this knife, did my first 15 gills last night with it, and it seemed to work great! Good to see other people like it.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:17 PM »
I just got this knife, did my first 15 gills last night with it, and it seemed to work great! Good to see other people like it.
did u do the regular saw through the ribs method or cut along them?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:24 PM »
I've chopped a bunch of fish with those..

They have a sharpened area on the spine to do that cut behind the head. That chomp through scales and bones is what dulls your knife the fastest. The knife does not need to be that sharp to make that cut either. You sacrifice the sharp spot on the spine so you can keep your main edge super sharp longer.

I had one and I LOVED IT. A scum bag room mate stole it though.... >:(

IMO, either spend the dough on a Leech Lake, or get a Marttiini Rapala. Most of the knives in the middle price ranges are inferior to both.

Same here... I use carbon steel whenever I can. It is the best stuff, but I always seem to forget to oil my steel filet knives. Filet knives are the only time I stick with stainless.

Victornox and Mora also make a FINE commercial knife. You have to go looking for them though.

Good to hear you liked the Leech Lake. I'm going to spend the money on one and hopefully will not have to buy another. Don C died last year so I don't if they will keep making them.

The Rapala I got from my grandfather has the Marttini blade. You should see the shape its in though. I'm going to break it down and completely refurb it.

I bought a Frost with a "Mora of Sweden" blade on it in 2010 and its a decent knife. I always liked their stainless but the knife had a rough rippled edge on it that takes a lot of working.I agree with the Victornox are nice I have a couple of their knives also and carry one everyday. The edge retention isn't the greatest but you can get them really sharp.

This is the Dexter I was eyeing up. You can get it in an 8" or 9".
http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2500

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:36 PM »
did u do the regular saw through the ribs method or cut along them?

Cut along them. The way I was shown to do them, I'm pretty new, haven't done many.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:51 AM »
Fellas who have the older rapala knives better hang on em, Newer ones not as good. I have a buck and have no complaints about it. Works great on bigger fish. Seems like I use my 12 dollar B-D walmart electric more and more though.  About sharpening,  Buy yourselves a lansky knife sharpening set. So easy to keep angles right and razor sharp. Also it is easier to keep knife sharp. Waiting till it is dull and useless, Touch it up after every use. A couple minutes with fine stone and she will shave again. Once dull they can be a pain to get back.    Steve

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:32 AM »
GERBER

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:24 AM »
i have a rapala that i have been using for over 30 years, great knife.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Some how I lost my other knife and had to resort to the $6 rap. I might as well used a chain saw. I'll try putting an edge on it and see if I need to through it away or not. >:(

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I bought a Frost with a "Mora of Sweden" blade on it in 2010 and its a decent knife. I always liked their stainless but the knife had a rough rippled edge on it that takes a lot of working.I agree with the Victornox are nice I have a couple of their knives also and carry one everyday. The edge retention isn't the greatest but you can get them really sharp.
http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=2500

Ohhhhh, I know all about those machine marks.... I start with a coarse stone to rub those out. The Mora Companion in carbon steel is my favorite knife for everything but cleaning fish. I have a bunch and they are all stupid sharp... If I can get that kind of edge out of a $12 knife, I guess I can deal with the tool marks on the first sharpening... :-\ I would like to try some of the higher end Scandinavian knives though..

The reason I like the Victornox knives is mostly because of the Fibrox handles. The steel is nothing fabulous, but those handles never become slippery. Even in fish slime, they still stay grippy. I have a full set of Victornox Fibrox butcher knives, I absolutely love them..

Good luck with that leech lake knife. I hope the family continues to produce them.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Has anyone tried those Cabela's Advanced Anglers Knives?  They make it sound good and they are reasonably priced, but I'd like to see if anyone has tested one.

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I disagree, if you want a real knife that you will be able to leave to your kids that you want a Forged (the way they used to make all knifes) one piece knife with high-carbon no-stain steel.
I personally use this knife:

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-7-Inch-Fillet-Sheath/dp/B000FJOZ7K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2

I bought it for my dad and after trying one of these its hard to go back to anything else.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:48 AM »
ya that looks like a beast but so does the $$$ tag

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Forschner

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.